403 Engine Re-buid! BACK IN ACTION

James Gelido

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Hey everyone,

Long time!

Finally got my 403 engine back but disassembled. I have managed to score brand new sleaves, piston rings, gasket kit, second hand water pump, bearings and main bearing. Engine block has no cracks and has been bead blasted, along with head.

Engine crank needs to be built up and machined down to fit main bearing. Apart from that, all good to go :) Could anyone reccomend anyone who can machine the crank and put the engine back together (at a reasonable price)? - Sydney Area Preferably -

Looking forward to hearing some stuff fellas and good to be back on the Pug! :D

403 block 2.jpg

403 block.jpg

403 Crank.jpg

403 engine parts.jpg

403 head.jpg

See if you can find a crank that can be reground...."building up" a forged crank before grinding may not have the best results, long-term.

See if you can find a crank that can be reground...."building up" a forged crank before grinding may not have the best results, long-term.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply. I do have one extra crank. Will have to be cleaned and bead blasted. Might be a better shot, what do you think?

Fair enough, I guess If I didn't have the option of another crank I would have no choice. I'll measure it up and take a photo.

Bear in mind, only the section where the main bearing sits is the part that needs to be built up then ground.

Spare Crank below.

Shaft A Thickness Rear Main = 5cm

Shaft B Thickness = 4.5cm

crank spare 2.jpg

crank spare.jpg