403 brake upgrade

Peppie

Tadpole
Hi, I would like to fit ventilated disc brakes to the front of a 403, has anyone had experience with this and can suggest options? Stud pattern doesn't matter. Thanks.

Is that the white rally car? Won't fit unless you remove the tele shocker conversion.

Peppie

Been a while since I tinkered with my 203 since I moved international.... But when I built my 203 as a daily driver with my dad the first upgrades was the brakes.

Though no doubt difficult to find parts now I believe we used 504 hubs with 605 ventilated discs and under guard booster. Had a custom brake master cylinder made with larger diameter as well.

Will see if dad recalls exactly but he's slowly forgetting a lot of his Peugeot knowledge now :confused:

Peppie

Been a while since I tinkered with my 203 since I moved international.... But when I built my 203 as a daily driver with my dad the first upgrades was the brakes.

Though no doubt difficult to find parts now I believe we used 504 hubs with 605 ventilated discs and under guard booster. Had a custom brake master cylinder made with larger diameter as well.

Will see if dad recalls exactly but he's slowly forgetting a lot of his Peugeot knowledge now :confused:

605 or 604 disks (or possibly 505)? 605's are 5 stud - I believe 504 hubs are 4 stud (it's a while since I owned one).

Peppie

604 discs I would think?
Yes, 504 are 4 studs, except for wagon.
504 wagon are 4 studs.

this 203?
203 front angle.jpg

Yes 604... Like I say been a while!! :(

Steven.... Yes correct that's my 203, front ventilated discs, was working on rear discs to replace the larger 403 drums on the back but then came overseas.

Sorry not the best pictures but just dug through old prints and scanned them in.... wasnt very good with manual cameras!
Shocks helped but the quality selected in the trial were not very good. Helped dampen the rigidity of the old ones. While big brakes and shock additions I had no issues with clearance for the 505 205.55?.15" wheels.... handled really well for its age.

Attachments

• 203 Front towers.jpg
    203 Front towers.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 203 Front towers0001.jpg
    203 Front towers0001.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 90
Could you make an aluminium hat and use a rotor ring from DBA, AP Racing, Alcon etc so that you can retain your hubs and possibly get a ring the diameter & thickness that suits the available calipers?

Sorry not the best pictures but just dug through old prints and scanned them in.... wasnt very good with manual cameras!
Shocks helped but the quality selected in the trial were not very good. Helped dampen the rigidity of the old ones. While big brakes and shock additions I had no issues with clearance for the 505 205.55?.15" wheels.... handled really well for its age.
Thanks sounds interesting. I would imagine the 504 hubs would need some tweaking to suit the 403 stubs?
Plus a fabricated caliper mount, do you remember the caliper used?

I did a conversion in the 1980’s. 504 with angular contact bearings went straight on. Had a plate made up for the caliper. I may have had to take a little meat off the outer carrier plate, I think! Early 504.s had a mount bracket for the caliper so I had it copied in plate and milled down to create the bosses for the caliper. Long time ago now. I used to fix a 203 with 504 mast/ booster and front discs. Worked great.