403 Airconditioning

If I remember correctly (but remember the knock on the head issue) that 403 does not have drum brakes on the front. They were converted to discs, so it probably is the brake booster.

And I suspect the "bulk head connectors" are ex 403 (404?) front brakes and the booster is connected with hoses inside the car.

403 was definitely drums all round OEM.

Yes, they were modified to discs. I saw the car being built (as others in the PCCV would have) but it is such a very long time ago that I can't remember much. I think the engine was modified a bit to increase power output and the seats are real leather.

I think this is the last pic I have.

IMG_0921.JPG

And I suspect the "bulk head connectors" are ex 403 (404?) front brakes and the booster is connected with hoses inside the car.

403 was definitely drums all round OEM.

Yes you are right, the brakes are 404 disks and the booster is hidden under the dash - hence the pipes going through the firewall. Tim

A 403 had quite light and effective brakes anyway. Its limiting factor was the rear wheels would skid at maximum braking pressure which from memory was around 80 lbs on the pedal. I presume the car is fitted with a rear pressure limiting device.

Hi Russ,You can buy an''OLD SCHOOL" under dash ala 504 aircon pump for around 75.00 BRAND NEW..

Hi Russel,There is a Retro style underdash air con fan pump available....brand new for around 75.00.Just checked price....now 105.98.

My 203 is the early model with bonnet vent and sunroof so it's well airconditioned as it is.

Everyone has forgotten the engine power will be just enough to drive the AC compressor.

Suppose it will work at traffic lights :eek:

An early 203 and a big hill is a close contest and I fear any additional load on the motor would tip the balance in favour of the hill.