403/404 wheels

Don Mac

Tadpole
I am thinking of changing the wheels on my 403 to those from a 404. Are there any issues I need to be concerned about and will my 403 hub caps fit the 404 wheels. DM

404 wheels will reduce the track width. Hub caps won't fit as they are bolt on for the 404.

Hi Glenn,
I am getting close to relacing the tyres and one wheel is not exacty running true. I also know that many current tyre dealers are not able to balance the wheels due to the small centre hole and I thought the 404 wheels might be better. The 403 wheels are also prone to cracking (happened one already) so I thought I would just consider changing to 404s. I note that Graeme has already posted that they would make the track narrower and I guess I don,t really want that.
Cheers
Don

Berwick Tyrepower can do 3 stud, no centre hole Froggy wheels

They just did a good job on both my 404 wheels and the 4 CV wheels, neither of which have big holes in centre

They like a bit of notice ( have to re-set the machine ) and prefer it at not busy times, but were very helpful and sensible

Best Wishes

Andrew

404 is 3 stud

The cracking issue can be helped with a spacer ring brazed to the back, brazing points half way between each stud hole

Not strictly legal, but if done properly is safe and strengthens the wheel

Means repainting the wheels afterwards though

Best Wishes

Andrew

Andrew

Thanks to all of you who have responded to my query. I think from your comments I will focus on finding a tyre service relatively nearby that is capable of balancing 403 wheels. Chhers Don Mac