4 Stud hubs on R17

Fireblade

Fellow Frogger
I know the thought of this may offend some, but I was wondering if there was a simple path to getting PCD 4x100 hubs off a Fuego or R18 onto an R17? Or any other means to go PCD 4x100... Any thoughts?

I have a vague memory of someone in the QLD reno club changing their 12 around, I think their intention was to fit bigger brakes, I'll see if I can dig up the reference.

I believe the Fuego/18 rear beam is too wide, and suspension is different enough at the front, driveshafts would need to be modified if using the Fuego/18 knuckle / upright thingy-ma-bob... from memory..

#WAIT!

I feel like David Cavanagh (French Connection) used to do these mods / or at least sell a kit, I'm assuming with modified stub axles.

Ask him nicely?

Last edited:
I see someone has done it

1633330479723.png

Fuego hubs don't fit the R17 driveshaft, bearings, nothing. Fuego is a completely different platform. I've tried all combinations and it just does not work. Those adaptors linked above are the quickest/cheapest option for what you want.

A better option would be to have some bespoke hubs made, but that is not cheap unless you can make them. If you have a Gordini rear end, it simplifies the job a little bit because the rear hubs are easier to make than a drum. For the fronts I can turn the hubs for myself, but cutting the internal splines is something you need a shaper for or some other nifty machine I don't have.

There may be a possibility that you could adapt some driveshafts from some other car and the hub with no or minimal work (mix and match and/or some machining), but with millions of possibilities, it's going to take a lot of searching, trial and error or a lot of blind luck to find something that works.

Last edited:
Fireblade if the objective is to increase availability of rims to get modern tyres how about these I stumbled across…

D_NQ_NP_961868-MLB43911711866_102020-O.jpg

15x6, 8kg ET24. I reckon with black Renault centre caps and blacking out the surrounds of the cut outs they would suit a 12/17.

Reactions: COL
I know the thought of this may offend some, but I was wondering if there was a simple path to getting PCD 4x100 hubs off a Fuego or R18 onto an R17? Or any other means to go PCD 4x100... Any thoughts?
I guess my question would be why?

You could always just modify the rims that you want to suit your existing hubs.
FB_IMG_1632989786958.jpg

With a big enough drill I suppose anything is possible.

What ever the hell happaned there?

I think those are multi-fit type generic castings with a number of bosses/hole dams cast. Drill what you need, leave alone what you don't. You do need precision when drilling though.

I am not going to do the research, but what about drilling existing hubs for 6 stud wheels if there are any that fit.

Is Fuego 4x100?
Fuego is 4 x 100. Many years ago an RCCQ member modified an R12 to 4 x 100. As mentioned he used the rear drum from a Fuego, but later some Fuegos have a different bearing set up and don’t fit. Perhaps the complete drum and backing plate can be bolted on.
Don’t know what he did at the front. There was a story in our magazine about it.

I have a vague memory of someone in the QLD reno club changing their 12 around, I think their intention was to fit bigger brakes, I'll see if I can dig up the reference.

I believe the Fuego/18 rear beam is too wide, and suspension is different enough at the front, driveshafts would need to be modified if using the Fuego/18 knuckle / upright thingy-ma-bob... from memory..

#WAIT!

I feel like David Cavanagh (French Connection) used to do these mods / or at least sell a kit, I'm assuming with modified stub axles.

Ask him nicely?
No matter how nice it aint gunna happen.
My brother Steve use to make up kits for them. Back is easy, just use early Fuego drums straight on but front is tricky.
Steve did lots of conversions and never had a problem and when they were tested proved as stronger than the original but he decided not to do any more when the world started going mad and people sued companies because there coffee was to hot.