34 ADM Weber accelerator cable connection for 504

mightymoth

Tadpole
Hi,

I am trying to figure out how I would connect an accelerator cable to a 34 ADM. Has anyone got some suggestions? The best I could think of was somehow trying to connect the spring loaded wheel part of the solex to the weber but it doesn't look like it lines up correctly. I tried to get the cable out of the accelerator pedal but that seemed impossible. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how I would connect an accelerator cable to a 34 ADM. Has anyone got some suggestions? The best I could think of was somehow trying to connect the spring loaded wheel part of the solex to the weber but it doesn't look like it lines up correctly. I tried to get the cable out of the accelerator pedal but that seemed impossible. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I modified the Falcon cable and used that on my conversion. Asuming the 34 ADM is off a Falcon :).

I don't know what car the engine in so I can't comment on disassembly.

Yes, the cable can be a sod to remove, might I ask why? It can be simplified by removing the pedal assembly to see things. Holding the cable while pulling on the spring loaded drum will allow the pedal end to release. You may need an attractive assistant to aid in this.:wink2:
To utilize the Solex wheel is simplified if your 504 is a manual. No kickdown cable.
The Weber throttle shaft has a rectangular end that should match the Solex wheel. The wheel may need to be spaced out to clear other linkages.
You will need to determine the direction the throttle opens ie clock wise or anti clockwise to determine the cable pull , over or under.
The position of the wheel to accept the cable end is something you will need to work out.

Have just completed a Weber conversion on my latest 504. Using a DFV model with manual choke and throttle wheel adapting perfectly.
A bit of bracketry to accept the throttle and kickdown cables was all.
I found the DFV [origins unknown] ideal in that the primary throat orientation is the same as the b;*$^d Solex it replaced. The air filter "cap" fits perfectly.

It would be ideal if I happened by while you are beavering away with the convert.
Oh, if anyone sees a dark object on the roadside don't stop, it will be my ex Solex.:mad:

I've done this conversion twice. Correct.....they do not line up properly. Somebody who had done the conversion before, made a special extension to fit mine. It is basically a solid piece of round metal, threaded internally at each end. One end (female) fits onto the threaded spindle coming out of the carby. Then on the outside end, you can bolt the wheel piece you already have. I think it was held in place by the bolt only. (or perhaps there was a dowel fitted....I can't remember. It was years ago).
After that, I made a bracket and fitted an "ordinary" spring I got from somewhere else.

On the other car, I used the Peugeot spring on a special bracket I made.

Check out the extension on the carby in these photos ( by "Mud", down the bottom of the page)....it's made of a piece of hexagonal metal....easy to spot :

http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/98466-sticking-weber-505-sr-xn1.html

Last edited:
I modified the Falcon cable and used that on my conversion. Asuming the 34 ADM is off a Falcon :).

I don't know what car the engine in so I can't comment on disassembly.

Hi, The car is a 79 Peugeot 504. My Solex TMIMA 32 35 is on its way out and I am looking to do this conversion soon. I have the 34ADM and Ford Cable. Could you give me a rundown of how you modified the cable and connected it to your pedal? The only thing I can think of is somehow joining the cables somewhere and hoping there is enough spring from the carby end.

Last edited:
Hi Robmac,

Sorry, it's been a while. Just wondering how you used the Falcon Cable? Did you connect the Peugeot cable to the falcon cable somehow? Just trying to work out how to do this.

Four years....you take your time !:)

The connection at the top of a 504 pedal tends to fray the cable after a few years. Best thing I did for my 504 was to fit a 505 pedal and cable. It hangs down from the pivot point, rather than hinging on the floor like the very early 504s. It's the same as later 504s.
Can't remember if it fitted straight on or if I had to alter the pedal box slightly.

I may even have the spindle extension I mentioned earlier, but I'd have to look hard. If I find it, you can have it. I live in Brisbane too.

Haha, Yes Beano and it's still bugging me!

I have a 1979 Peugeot 504 so I think it it hangs down, I'll have to check!

The spindle extension would be good, but not sure if it would line up (seems like a twin lever action on the ADM throttle).

I was hoping there would be somehow you just attach the weber and weber cable to the peddle.

Not sure what you mean by twin lever action.
I can't remember which Weber a 34 ADM is.
But I might mention that a Weber from a Renault Fuego fits better than any other. No spindle needed, and no re-jetting either.

Do you want me to rummage around tomorrow for the spindle I used to have ? You can have it for free if you come and pick it up. I live next to Enoggera.

There will always be a bit of creative adjustment needed to fit a Weber. But Fuego ones need the least.

Hi Beano,

Sorry for late reply, for some reason I'm not getting notified of new posts. By twin lever, I mean that where you would attach the spindle thing it would be on an arc rather than a central pivot point. I'd love to come have a look at the spindle setup, I live in Oxley which is not too far away, so happy to take the Pug for a drive over.