309 rear beam grease

309SRi

Tadpole
Haynes recommends Kluber Proba grease for the re-assembly of the rear anti-roll bar end plates.This grease is polyalkylene glycol in a barium soap. Barium appears to be better than lithium for this type of application.Klüber Syntheso Proba 270 shows on searches but is hard to find except in Turkey, India, and Viet Nam. Moly-Graph 9090 shows similar properties but is also hard to find, particularly in small quantities.The Esso Norva 275 grease for the internals is replaceable, but the water-resistance and seal compatibility of the Proba seems important for longevity.What do others use for beam rebuilds? Something available here in NZ would make it easier, but Australia is easy enough.Thanks, Bryan

I am planning to use Magnalube on my next rebuild. It’s magic stuff I was put onto when I was servicing packaging machinery. I can attest to its longevity. It lasted forever in everything from cold rooms doused in hydroxide daily to dry dusty farm sheds. I wouldn’t use it for super high speed applications but anything with high friction or constant exposure to the contaminants it easily outlasted every other grease I tried hands down. It’s not cheap though.

I have smothered the outside of my beam pivot surfaces with lanolin grease to keep the dust and water from getting anywhere near the seals. It’s will attract dirt, but it’s super viscous so it won’t fling off and doesn’t let anything past it.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Thanks flock. I wasn't familiar with that brand.
I'm not sure about Magnalube. The GX has molybdenum disulphide and the G has a mineral base oil. Neither are good with rubber.

The Kluber Synthetico Proba 270 or 330 has polyalkylene glycol (PAG) which will not react with the rubber seal.The barium soap has gives good washout resistance and good long-term long term stability.
Barium is not popular in some countries. PAG with lithium compound has become more common.

I have found an active link for Kluber and emailed them for a list of Australasian stockists. I would like to use the product that Peugeot suggested if I can find some.