308cc 1.6turbo no spark

AdamA

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi guys, new to the forum, I used to have Peugeots back in Europe, I had a couple of 205 GTIs, 306 TD, 4062.2hdi, 406 coupe, 206 HDI and after 15 years without a Peugeot 1.5 years ago I've bought a 308cc for my wife, a project, a non runner. The diagnosis of the previous mechanic was low compression which I have confirmed after getting it home. I've pulled the engine apart but haven't found anything obvious, I've put it back together with new rings, bearings and timing kit but she doesn't want to start, doesn't have spark at all. I found the following fault codes: P15A7 oil pressure, P1694 ,P1676, P0117 Any ideas why doesn't want to start? VF34B5FV8AS181388

any help is much appreciated

Something basic is rather crook as this group of codes is all over the place. In your list order-

Oil pressure high
Defective starter command
Alternator to engine ECU
Coolant temperature.

There's a reference in the manual to a TSB for the alternator, but I don't have a copy. I suspect there are bad wiring joints, unplugged connectors or cable damage. Check the crank sensor connection in particular.

Make sure the battery is still good. The computers are extremely sensitive to low voltage.

How did you go rebuilding it? There are many special operations peculiar to this engine. Timing requires special tools,

Last edited:
Out of curiosity what were the compression readings originally, and what are they now? I'm assuming that it turns on the starter.

Something basic is rather crook as this group of codes is all over the place. In your list order-

Oil pressure high
Alternator to engine ECU
Coolant temperature.

There's a reference in the manual to a TSB for the alternator, but I don't have a copy. I suspect there are bad wiring joints, unplugged connectors or cable damage. Check the crank sensor connection in particular.

Make sure the battery is still good. The computers are extremely sensitive to low voltage.

How did you go rebuilding it? There are many special operations peculiar to this engine. Timing requires special tools,
I've followed the factory instructions on the rebuild and I have used the right timing tools.

I'm a motor mechanic by trade since 1995 and a heavy Diesel mechanic since 2007 much more experienced in the later, I've rebuilt countless engines during my career.

Out of curiosity what were the compression readings originally, and what are they now? I'm assuming that it turns on the starter.
I can't tell you, it was in October 2022, so 16 months ago

Oil pressure high
Alternator to engine ECU
Coolant temperature.

I thought about the something basic but I was a bit lost that's why I joined the forum to dig your brains. I've tried with the battery connected to another car with running engine. I'll check the crank sensor, thanks!

I wasn't doubting your skill, you rebuilt the thing, most can't. It's just that this engine catches so many people out.

You can check out the new engine presentation at http://distributionthp.free.fr/ressources/presentation_ep6.pdf . It is well illustrated, in French, but translate.google.com.au does a reasonable translation.

I am focussing on starting also. P1694 ( Ligne de commande démarreur défectueux in the handbook) is known to occur with a break in the crank sensor circuit.

I wasn't doubting your skill, you rebuilt the thing, most can't. It's just that this engine catches so many people out.

You can check out the new engine presentation at http://distributionthp.free.fr/ressources/presentation_ep6.pdf . It is well illustrated, in French, but translate.google.com.au does a reasonable translation.

I am focussing on starting also. P1694 ( Ligne de commande démarreur défectueux in the handbook) is known to occur with a break in the crank sensor circuit.
Sorry I didn't want to be kooky just wanted to get this out of the way, I'll check the wire in the loom this weekend.
Thanks again for your help!

Adam you are way ahead of most of us with your mechanical background but I did see a post about a 2008 peugeot 207 1.4 VTI that had a new headgasket and timing chain fitted that wouldn't start.

I gather that it was fixed by a BSI reset. Apparently when the garage did the head gasket, when they reconnected the battery the control module got confused and in effect wouldn't turn the immobiliser off?

That's an unusual example. The opera that results from inadvertently operating a sensor too soon after a battery connection usually involves fancy function displays as well. It is best to reconnect and take a break for a few minutes while system reboots occur. Touch nothing, particularly doors or seats or ignition. I saw an experienced auto electrician caught by this when he changed a battery and tried to move the car.

To add to the previous suggestions.
P15A7 - Oil pressure measured is not sensible vs atmospheric pressure. It switches to mechanical oil pressure regulation. Possibly the engine harness, but could also be a fault with the atmospheric pressure sensor in the engine ECU. Make sure it's not something dumb like a wasp moving in.
P1694 - Engine is told to crank but doesn't. Check the starter, solenoid or wiring.
P1676 - Controlled alternator communication fault. Likely engine harness issue.
P0117 - Coolant temp sensor signal fault. Likely the sensor in the thermostat housing or engine harness.

When you get it running, being new to you, check with a dealer for outstanding campaigns.