308 T9 Front suspension ACCC Wishbone bolts recall, and subsequent bolt failure

best_matty

Tadpole
Hello members
I have a 2015 308 that I have been told had the suspension recall ACC# 2015/14663 carried out.

Just recently I have had the car’s front right suspension, lower wishbone, and the rear attaching bolt back to the sub frame fail and break just above the bolt head. The rest of the bolt remained in place due the nut on top.

Does anyone have some more information on the recall consisted of, or a copy of the workshop PDF instructions. Dealer said they fitted longer bolts. Were they a different design with a straight shank or higher tensile strength?

I am interested to confirm if the recall was on these bolts, also to confirm that the recall was carried out, and if the subsequent bolt upgrade has also failed.

The 12.9 grade M14/1.5 bolt that has failed, is threaded all the way to the head (set-bolt). and has therefore snapped right at the root of a thread.
For a suspension bolt subjected to continues bending forces/strain, this seems like a poor selection and a bolt with a shank would be a far better option to cope with these forces.

I am not out to get anyone or Peugeot, I just want the best outcome for me and the car, having owned and enjoyed a few Peugeot cars, I have come to realise that you can’t all ways rely on the dealer to provide the best outcome, and some personal research and work has saved me considerable money and heartache.

If anyone has information that could help me understand this issue it would be greatly appreciated.

ACC recall link, and photos of the failure attached.

https://www.productsafety.gov.au/recall/peugeot-308-t9-front-suspension-wishbone-bolts

Photo 23-12-19, 10 33 27 am resize.jpg

Thanks

Matthew

Yes the bolt had a incorrect spec for the Installation where is the car because this was a recalled component a dealer needs to look and take photos of bolts remaining it is not a good idea for you to touch anything a FAS sheet needs to be done. It is possible that the bolts have not been replaced. I would mark all bolts to make sure the guys did the job correctly when we were doing these recalls we would have dozens a day.

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Can you supply a pic of the top of the bolt head.

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

The Cars in Geelong, Australia.
I spoke to the dealer on the phone before writing this post, And he confirmed there where no open recalls on the car. I can remember dropping the car off for the job, though the service book does not have it noted. At other recalls they have said it doesn't matter if its not in the book, as we have it on file.
I can not the believe the dealer would be so brazen, as to not carry out the recall but write it off as completed.

Picture of the bolt head attached. It has the markings M and an A in the centre and the 12.9 grade.

2019-12-22 18.02.56 resize.jpg2019-12-23 11.35.45 Resize.jpg

Thanks for the feedback.

Matthew

I’m not saying the dealer did it but one bad apple thing , I’m a psa mech of over 20years I know how it works peugeot aust would be very interested that one of these failed and a safety sheet must be filed out. Will have a look at your bolts and can forward on to peugeot if you want.

Regarding feedback to Peugeot Australia , I thought a similar thing and asked about how the dealer would inform them. But he was not that helpful...
Granted he may have felt slightly blindsided by an owner asking detailed questions about ACCC recalls, and internal process. Is there is a way for you to fwd it to Peugeot Aust, and get them to contact me? best_matty@yahoo.com
Would it confuse the situation if another dealer starts a safety sheet, are they viewable by all dealers? As once the cars inspected they might have some more information to add.
I can’t get the car into their workshop till 6th January, even still I have low confidence that the local dealer will resolve this issue to my satisfaction.
That could be a good reason to inform Peugeot Australia, if there is a genuine fault or the recalled/upgraded part has not rectified the issue. Public safety etc etc.

Thanks
Matt

Response from Peugeot.

Hi Matthew,

We have investigated the matter and we can confirm that the recall ZXD-Suspension mounting bolts was carried out to your vehicle 01/06/2015 by Rex Gorell Motors Geelong.
With the above in mind, we cannot confirm what has happened to your vehicle since the recall was done back in 2015. If the bolts have been removed in the last 4 years to gain access to an area as part of a repair, the bolts would need to be replaced again if removed as they are a 1 time use bolt only. Additionally, the bolts may have been overtightened causing the bolt to overstretch and shear off over time. These bolts need to be torqued to manufacturers specification.

We recommend that you have the car presented to a Authorised Peugeot dealer so they can inspect the vehicle and replace all the bolts again with brand new ones.

We hope that this information helps.

Customer Service

My response

I can confirm these bolts have not been removed or altered since being fitted by your own service agents, so for you to question the installation techniques is to put doubt on your own dealers abilities, and the design of the bolts in question.
The car has not even been driven 60,000klms. and would still be in warranty, had it been calculated on Kilometres only.
For a critical suspension component to fail in such a short period of time is disturbing to say the least. And does not inspire confidence in your product, it is concerning for my own family and for other road users.

I expect Peugeot Australia to cover the complete cost of competing the ZXD- suspension mounting bolt recall again, and to a standard that will ensure reliability of the car.
I have already booked the car in at Rex Gorell Motors for the 6 January.
Please inform me they have the required parts, and you will be able to carryout this work free of charge to me.

Regards

Send a copy to your consumer protection branch too.

Why until they refuse to pay to replace them.

Because suspension falling apart on a newish car is clearly a recall that ought to be ordered on safety grounds. Could be quite entertaining at speed. I'm sure they'll care. Assuming they ordered the original recall, the fact that the replacement part is at least as poorly engineered as the original will be of some interest, no?

My reading of the response isn't that they're trying to shirk responsibility, but rather, suggesting reasons why the bolt could have broken, for you to consider, as they don't know what's happened to your car since the recall repair. Also, they can only go by what the dealer tells them - if Gorell's say to Peugeot Australia that they've done the recall, then head office have to accept that unless there's evidence it wasn't done (like, if the replacement bolt wasn't threaded all the way to the head, as you suggested).

I wouldn't go in all combative at this stage because I reckon if they suspect the bolt wasn't replaced by the dealer you'll find it will be done without a problem free of charge, without admission of guilt....and even if it was done, there must be suspicion of incorrect installation (torque).

i think you'd be better off being friendly but assertive if necessary.

Interested to follow this. Wasn’t aware of the recall, but looking at the vin list our 308 isn’t there.