308 t7 radio upgrade?

angru

Fellow Frogger
Has anybody upgraded the radio in a 308? I have a 2010 and am unimpressed with it’s interface with my phone.
I’m looking to upgrade, preferably to something with CarPlay.
Looking at the facia adaptors, but that seems to leave a gap as to getting the interfaces to trip computer and those things to work.
Looking at something like this, but not sure about it as I don’t know the brand. Has anybody used one?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IPS-9-A...349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=705-154756-20017-0

Nobody has tried one? So I though I would. I’ve bought an Xtrons android unit. Went through their Australian website rather than eBay and I’ll update how I find it when it arrives.

Not looked at any options other than factory but there was a post on a Android unit that allowed for the steering wheel stalk buttons to still operate may have not been t7 specific

There was a thread on android head units a while ago which had links to a couple of units, but those links didn’t go to valid listings so not sure what units were being spoken about.
I did a bit of research and thought this to be the brand to go for. The fact they have an Australian website suggests possible customer support that may not be accessible from something just bought offshore on eBay.
Time will tell.

Update.
Not sure how, but I only ordered this late Saturday night and it arrived from Hong Kong today!
Installed in a couple of hours. Everything seems to work, the screen is great and it works well with CarPlay. Maps and radio have no issues either. Controls work well.
It looks to be very good quality, was well packed, and came with a well written paper manual in English.
I’m pretty happy with it and think the price is more than fair considering how well it interstates with the car.

Update.
Not sure how, but I only ordered this late Saturday night and it arrived from Hong Kong today!
Installed in a couple of hours. Everything seems to work, the screen is great and it works well with CarPlay. Maps and radio have no issues either. Controls work well.
It looks to be very good quality, was well packed, and came with a well written paper manual in English.
I’m pretty happy with it and think the price is more than fair considering how well it interstates with the car.
got a link or a pic? Nothing shows here at the moment.

Cheers

Justin

So I'm guessing it takes up that space ?

DSC_2175 edit.jpg

Cheers

Justin

Yes. It’s a little larger than the original facia, but fits well. The back part of it sits in where the original radio sat and it sticks out a bit, but doesn’t look out of place. It clips in securely where the original radio was. I had to trim away the plastic divider in the space that was between the radio panel and the storage tub.
Also, I’ve found that the microphone in the head unit doesn’t work as well as I’d like, so I’m going to wire it up to the original microphone in the roof console.

Attachments

• D4BCD49E-98D7-4BD6-B6B1-93E1F1ABC2C1.jpeg
    D4BCD49E-98D7-4BD6-B6B1-93E1F1ABC2C1.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 167
Hi there,

My stereo croaked out and I am in the process of replacing the micro sd card in the existing unit and attempting to re program it. THe internal micro sd cards are prone to going bad.

When I saw this I thought it may be better to just get a new unit with carplay etc rather than go through with the tedious reprogramming process that can apparently brick the whole car....

Unfortunately my 308 is a later model with a different stereo in it and the unit you posted a link to isn't compatible. There is a screen in the dash, I've attached a picture. I'm wondering if anyone has replaced a similar stereo? I'm also wondering if these stereos were in later models. The model number as far as I know is a RT6.

Thanks in advance.
IMG_1499.jpg

Can you install the same unit and ignore the popup display ?

Cheers

Justin

Can you install the same unit and ignore the popup display ?

Cheers

Justin
Yes that would be ideal, I am happy to live without the top screen when the new screen is so big and has much better functionality than the existing unit.

I sent a message to the ebay sellers of the unit that was linked and they said that if my unit has an amplifier then it isn't compatible. I need to do some investigating to see if this is the case.

I believe my unit is an RT6 and my 308 is badged as a 2014 despite being the older shape that ran from 08-13. So it isn't clear cut.

I am finding it hard to figure out what other models this stereo was in so I can figure out compatibility or if there is any backwards compatibility with the standard 308 stereo units.

If anyone knows of a solid contact with knowledge in this area, or a useful website I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Yes. It’s a little larger than the original facia, but fits well. The back part of it sits in where the original radio sat and it sticks out a bit, but doesn’t look out of place. It clips in securely where the original radio was. I had to trim away the plastic divider in the space that was between the radio panel and the storage tub.
This is how relatively older android screens used to look.

13892277_10204878122072147_4286995107577656618_n.jpg

I'm happy to report I have had a real win here.

I looked around on ebay and despite them saying the unit would not be compatible with my model I took the plunge anyway thinking I could get it going with a bit of nous and non existent spare time. Turns out nous was not required, thankfully.

The install could not have been easier. The supplied head unit came with all of the appropriate converters and was pretty much plug and play. I have pictured the cables that were not compatible and I believe these to be:
-The power and image send to the in dash screen, I was happy for this to remain redundant.
-The arial for the GPS, another arial was provided with a different attachment.
-a cable for the regular radio. There is a standard aerial input on the back of the head unit so I may chase up an adaptor to allow for radio.
-An unidentified cable with the same fitting as the other two aerials.

The software in the head unit runs just like a android phone or tablet and is pretty simple to navigate. There is a bunch of other settings in the head unit that will allow me to customise the buttons on the top of the unit and many other things that I haven't dug into yet.

-All of the steering wheel controls work.
-I had it hooked up via bluetooth and was making calls and listening to music.
-When in reverse it shows a blank screen with the lines that adjust when you turn the steering wheel. I am thinking I will invest in a rear camera now.
-alerts come up on screen when doors open etc.

I purchased a usb adaptor and the unit runs carplay perfectly as a plug in option while charging the phone. Navigation, music, calls and texts. This was my main goal for this so I am very happy with the outcome. I have run the USB cable out through the ashtray area and between the seats but it would be possible to hook it up to the port in the centre console.

It comes pre installed with some strange asian instrumental and pop music which I deleted off the unit. There is provision to run an auxiliary audio in and as I said bluetooth connection was really easy. The built in factory menus do look a little tacky and the screen isn't high res in some of the applications.

I was expecting to have to muck around and purchase adaptors so I was very happy when everything just plugged in and worked.

I did have to cut out the horizontal piece of plastic that was between the existing stereo and the storage area. I also had to cut off some plastic tabs that were preventing the unit from sliding in. I used a hacksaw blade, probably a bit rough but it worked.

I won't go so far as to recommend this as I have no idea about the differences between models etc. but I did have a real win.

I was in a position where I had a non functional stereo thinking I needed to pull it apart to replace a micro sd card to now having what functions and feels like a modern CarPlay unit in our car for a very reasonable cost. The stereo also sounds great.

Here are the links for the ebay purchases I made.

Hope this helps.

Will

Ebay Purchase links:

Stereo Unit
For 10-16 Peugeot 408 2.5D Screen 1GB+16GB 9" Android 10 Radio Stereo GPS Player

USB Adaptor for CarPlay
For CarPlay Android Auto Wired USB Dongle for Android 4.2 Car DVD Player New AU

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    822.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    659 KB · Views: 177
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    607.1 KB · Views: 170
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    944.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    813.2 KB · Views: 163
I'm happy to report I have had a real win here.

I looked around on ebay and despite them saying the unit would not be compatible with my model I took the plunge anyway thinking I could get it going with a bit of nous and non existent spare time. Turns out nous was not required, thankfully.

The install could not have been easier. The supplied head unit came with all of the appropriate converters and was pretty much plug and play. I have pictured the cables that were not compatible and I believe these to be:
-The power and image send to the in dash screen, I was happy for this to remain redundant.
-The arial for the GPS, another arial was provided with a different attachment.
-a cable for the regular radio. There is a standard aerial input on the back of the head unit so I may chase up an adaptor to allow for radio.
-An unidentified cable with the same fitting as the other two aerials.

The software in the head unit runs just like a android phone or tablet and is pretty simple to navigate. There is a bunch of other settings in the head unit that will allow me to customise the buttons on the top of the unit and many other things that I haven't dug into yet.

-All of the steering wheel controls work.
-I had it hooked up via bluetooth and was making calls and listening to music.
-When in reverse it shows a blank screen with the lines that adjust when you turn the steering wheel. I am thinking I will invest in a rear camera now.
-alerts come up on screen when doors open etc.

I purchased a usb adaptor and the unit runs carplay perfectly as a plug in option while charging the phone. Navigation, music, calls and texts. This was my main goal for this so I am very happy with the outcome. I have run the USB cable out through the ashtray area and between the seats but it would be possible to hook it up to the port in the centre console.

It comes pre installed with some strange asian instrumental and pop music which I deleted off the unit. There is provision to run an auxiliary audio in and as I said bluetooth connection was really easy. The built in factory menus do look a little tacky and the screen isn't high res in some of the applications.

I was expecting to have to muck around and purchase adaptors so I was very happy when everything just plugged in and worked.

I did have to cut out the horizontal piece of plastic that was between the existing stereo and the storage area. I also had to cut off some plastic tabs that were preventing the unit from sliding in. I used a hacksaw blade, probably a bit rough but it worked.

I won't go so far as to recommend this as I have no idea about the differences between models etc. but I did have a real win.

I was in a position where I had a non functional stereo thinking I needed to pull it apart to replace a micro sd card to now having what functions and feels like a modern CarPlay unit in our car for a very reasonable cost. The stereo also sounds great.

Here are the links for the ebay purchases I made.

Hope this helps.

Will

Ebay Purchase links:

Stereo Unit
For 10-16 Peugeot 408 2.5D Screen 1GB+16GB 9" Android 10 Radio Stereo GPS Player

USB Adaptor for CarPlay
For CarPlay Android Auto Wired USB Dongle for Android 4.2 Car DVD Player New AU
Hi SonofPugwash,
My car has the same head unit as your car. I replaced it with a Kenwood unit but my engine light come up since then due to some CANBUS error. Did you have any issue with the new unit beside the dash screen not working anymore? Did you connect the cables from the dash screen to anywhere or just leave them there?
Thanks