308 T7 Locknut Key Replacement

306Eran

Fellow Frogger
Hi there,

My Locknut Key is completely stripped, does anyone know where I can order a replacement and the cost?

Any help would be great. I do have the code for my Locknut if that is any help.

Thanks

Do a quick Google search on the AF forum (web version only) as there was a solution before replacing all with standard wheel bolts. I just dont recall but have replaced all mine so I don't run into this issue.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Exactly what he said up there ^^^

Once you get it sorted, toss those stupid bolts to the house of shite after buying four plain replacement bolts from your nearest dealer.

Exactly what he said up there ^^^

Once you get it sorted, toss those stupid bolts to the house of shite after buying four plain replacement bolts from your nearest dealer.

Is this the page you are referring to? http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/pe...emove-locking-wheel-stud-308-alloy-wheel.html

I was sort of hoping there was a chance of tracking down a new locknut key. I have already spent a few hours this afternoon with a mechanic welding a bolt onto one of my locknuts that was completed stripped. Eventually success, but I have four more lock nuts on the other wheels... This could prove costly. Arghhh!

Do you have a photo of the key or nut. I had this same issue recently and got keys sent over from Europe in a few days. Very frustrating situation. One of the first places I started was a dealer asking to use their master key set.

Needless to say I have regular nuts on my wheels now.

Happy to help if I can

Cullens the Peug dealer in Nambour Qld have a few for sale at about $50 to get you out of trouble. I ended up making a tool in order to remove them so they could be replaced. If you posted the code for your wheel bolt remover you may have some luck if an AF'er has the right one laying around looking for a home.

A few years ago I bought a vehicle with locked nuts.
Jax had a special tool and charged me a small amount to remove all the nuts.

Like anything, with the right tool the job is easy.

Jo

I really appreciate all the help here. Here is the photo of my wheel nut key, the code is E1DT0.
@CYessens any help would be great, where did you order yours from?
@kelpiebat How can I track down what Wheel lock nuts Nambour Pug dealer have, do I have to phone or do they have a for sale page online?

Last edited:
I really appreciate all the help here. Here is the photo of my wheel nut key, the code is 1DT0.
@CYessens any help would be great, where did you order yours from?
@kelpiebat Does Pug dealer in Nambour have a site?

Hi, please try again on the photo or send by messenger

Removal tools work on some type of lock nuts but some anti theft types have slip rings and some fit tight into rims making it very difficult. There are particular ways for each specific but type that are normally destructive to the nut. Due to the type of nuts I had I opted to find a replacement key really as it saved me a heap of time and effort

My contact with Cullens was by phone to the service adviser. I do think that there has to be a way to remove the wounded pins to enable replacement; they certainly aren't part of the casting. My problem was that the removal tool was not in the car when it was sold at the auction. From memory Cullens had about 50 at the time.

My contact with Cullens was by phone to the service adviser. I do think that there has to be a way to remove the wounded pins to enable replacement; they certainly aren't part of the casting. My problem was that the removal tool was not in the car when it was sold at the auction. From memory Cullens had about 50 at the time.

Thanks I will give them a bell tomorrow, were yours a similar type of locking nut to mine? Just curious as it gives me some hope. I'm not 100% but I've heard they are VIN specific to each car... I really hope not.

Thanks I will give them a bell tomorrow, were yours a similar type of locking nut to mine? Just curious as it gives me some hope. I'm not 100% but I've heard they are VIN specific to each car... I really hope not.
306Eran let me know if they wont send as I can pick it up from Cullens as they're only 15 mins away from home. I'll post it to you in Melbs.

Hi 306ERAN,
Yes, mine are similar to yours. There are at least 2 different types that work in the same way. Peugeot achieve the differences in the security bolts and the undo tool by varying the distances between the pins, which are about 4 mm dia. Your mechanic did very well to weld a nut on as the security bolts are made in such a way that the first point you can weld to is weakened and therefore breaks away without releasing the bolt. Drilling and tapping a left hand thread may be successful, or you can drill the centre out until you get to the actual bolt part and the head piece then falls away.

Hi 306ERAN,
Yes, mine are similar to yours. There are at least 2 different types that work in the same way. Peugeot achieve the differences in the security bolts and the undo tool by varying the distances between the pins, which are about 4 mm dia. Your mechanic did very well to weld a nut on as the security bolts are made in such a way that the first point you can weld to is weakened and therefore breaks away without releasing the bolt. Drilling and tapping a left hand thread may be successful, or you can drill the centre out until you get to the actual bolt part and the head piece then falls away.
Was also thinking the good old cold chisel method from the 80s and drilling a pilot hole would help weaken the head.
Never tried it thou...😕

Hi 306ERAN,

Thank you all for the help and generous offers.
@Kelpiebat, It seems I have ran into some good fortune. I called Cullens gave them my wheel nut key code and VIN. They found a key with a slightly different code but similar, I then emailed a picture through so they could cross check the pins.

A few hours later a received a call back from the sales team to take payment and ship down to Melbourne, $50 as you said. I'm guessing that confirms it's a match. In the process I ordered 4x standard wheel nuts. I will keep you all posted, hopefully it is the one!

Thanks again.

Hi dmccurtayne,
Is there a trick to removing the old pins? Had heard of them falling out by themselves, which leads to thinking they are glued in by Loctite or similar and if so then a bit of heat should effect a release.

No trick just chisel from the outside down on an angle in and they will pop out then glue some cut down drill bits in and undo bolts and throw them away standard bolts are like 6 bucks

The Lock Nut Key from Cullens was a perfect match. Fit like a glove! Lock Nuts in the bin, standard wheel nuts in place. Thanks again for the help.