308 Shock Absorbers

willuri

Fellow Frogger
Can anyone advise the best source/brand for 2015 308 SW 2 litre Blue HDi Shock Absorbers please.
Seems like all four need to be replaced. We are in north west NSW. Many thanks in anticipation.

Several brands fit, though the originals are pretty good. Talk to https://www.eai.net.au/ in Sydney 02 9481 8400 to see what they can supply. They can be couriered to anywhere promptly.

Rears are a quick change. If you need front struts it's a big job with hubs off the shafts and needs a spring compressor.

Thanks for that info. Will look into it. Car has only done 115,000 kms so a bit surprised they need replacing.

Can we ask who is recommending they be replaced, and what the symptoms are?

It's just that long-term Peugeot owners on this forum have commented before that

a) Genuine Peugeot shock absorbers are well made, and rarely wear out

b) Unscrupulous garages looking for more revenue have been known to recommend replacing perfectly good shocks just because they have done more than X kilometres (to be fair some brands of shocks would indeed be stuffed at that age)

c) Non-genuine shocks will generally not perform as well, and wear out more quickly, than the genuine units - thus of course providing a regular income stream for the garage.

To be fair, I don't actually know if Peugeot are still fitting in-house shocks to recent models such as yours. Also, the Pug ones are usually more expensive than 3rd party replacements. I have to confess that when the (non-genuine Lip brand) shocks on my 406 needed replacing, I looked at the price of genuine units, and then bought Record shocks for about 1/3 the price.

Cheers

Alec

Surprised that they need replacing, especially the rears. Much more likely that bushes or mounts need replacing. Take a look and see whether they have any brand markings, may have been replaced for no reason in the past. LIPs will last no time at all, as will Monroe, Bilstein black etc. I doubt whether Peugeot shockers would be available, I've never ever seen them listed anywhere. Records are very good.
My experience is that if the originals aren't leaking then they wont need replacing. I put my 205s to severe use and am using 30 year old originals. I have a set of Koni yellows sitting there that I'm never going to use.

Thanks for the feedback.

The shock absorbers are the originals.

Price quoted for new Peugeot ones is similar to ones we replaced on Toyota Hilux, so havent chased cheaper deals.

The car displays a "wallowing" movement when driven about 100kph (tyres in good condition and at proper inflation) and a qualified (independent) mechanic verified our thoughts about the shock absorbers. We still find it hard to believe they are kaput. Regularly drive about 3km of dirt before we hit bitumen and have other dirt roads to traverse, but far less kms than bitumen all up.

Yes, very disappointing. Perhaps it is worth looking at Record (available from EAI).