308 Peugeot with 1.6 turbo petrol engine.

kelpiebat

Fellow Frogger
This is a car that belongs to a female who is not an 'A F'er.' It is about a 2013 model that was bought after the much loved 307 HDi lunched on its cambelt. About 16 weeks after getting the 308's timing chain replaced she relates the following; "The day before it happened, I heard a bit of a clunk (didn't think anything of it), the next morning it probably went about 15-20 km up the road then idled high & went into limp mode. Got it home in limp mode then hasn't started since."
A mechanic came and read the fault codes. There are 4 faults that are identical, but apply to each cylinder. I have not seen the car but can as it's only 30 mins away. The mech (not a dealer) who did the work was contacted and the car trailered 2 hrs down the Highway. He has removed the cam cover and is saying that the timing is still good.
Any ideas or experienced knowledge most appreciated. Are there any good used engines around.?? Many thanks and gratitude.

Want does the mechanic say to get it going as he FIXED it

We really need the codes, or at least one of them. The timing is said to be OK, and 4 bad plugs or coils at once is unlikely, so it might be one of the pollution faults that send it to limp mode.

Has anyone checked the upper oxygen sensor? If the water pump drive wasn't correctly released when the belt was done I don't think it would have been driven for months.

Hi 'driven' the mechanic does not say anything other than to claim the timing is still correct. Will try to obtain the exact fault codes. Have now been told that the car has only travelled about 102,000k to date. The owner now sees the 'clunk' as being significant. So far no one with good Peug experience has seriously looked at it.
Many thanks

Everything is vague in your description. Clunk?

I had my timing changed on my 207cc Sport, at 100,000 K. Took my master Pug mechanic half a day and he changed it for $500 labour. Bought the chain kit on eBay for $550.

You need an experience Pug mechanic. Do you live on the Gold Coast?

Unable to give a better description than just a mildish clunk. Will seek better particulars.
Error codes are from a Snap on reader are ; P0662 Battery Voltage Too Low Running; P1339 Combustion Misfiring On Cylinder 3 , P1338 Combustion Misfiring On Unspecified Cylinders , '' P2338 , P2337 , P2336 , P2339 , P1385 '' the last 5 are all described as, Super Knock Detection Not Characterized.
Hi 207cc Sport she's a bit down the coast from GC but a contact number could be useful.
Thanks and blessings to all. Cheers

Some new clues for those wishing to chance their arms ( or thoughts). The new timing chain was fitted 12 June 2021 with 102,891 on the odo. 1 litre of oil was added at the time. Now the odo is 109,000. Usual car use is about 55 hwy k's each way to work. The clunk was only 2-3 ks ago as she drove around a corner at ~40 kms 110 mts before getting home. She says there was nothing unusual about the clunk and that it definitely came from the engine bay. Hubby headed for work next morning and got about 1 km before the engine began to rev high on its own and then made it back to home before quitting never to fire again. About 750mls of oil was added the week before.
That is about all that I can relay at the moment. Much gratitude and thanks.

Mechanic: I pay him $45 for phone support. Do the same.

Looking for the Peugeot 'go-to' guy?

Wayne Botha is a master mechanic offering profession services to all Peugeot owners. Now in private practice.
Trained in South Africa, and later for ten years at Von Bibra Peugeot, Gold Coast, Wayne has been looking after my two Pugs for the last six years.
He'll buy parts or fit the parts you supply.

Highly Recommended.

0413 942 026

ALSO:

I hope you are using BP Ultimate 98RON . . .

The car has had severe misfiring and knocking.

P1339 Misfire on 3 endangering the catalytic converter - Coil or plug or injector.
P1338 Misfire on 2, ditto
P233* and P1385 All are knocking detected.

I don't think lack of 98RON has any involvement in the knock. 95 is required. Check the plugs as that is the cheap fix. VVT?

Severe misfiring can also result from carbon build up in the inlet ports, which can affect all cylinders. You can often get a short distance after restarting before it comes back. Direct injection engines don't get fuel cleaning the ports.

Perhaps the clunk was a misfire.

Last edited:
Hi to y'all and many thanks for your good intentions when it comes to curing/diagnosing a fault/s with only a few rather basic clues. After a couple of weeks away I rang the lady minutes ago to pass along and discuss the latest help and suggestions only to find she has despaired of getting a viable repair and passed it on to another owner. Blessings to all and may the festive season and 2022 be more than good to y'all.
Cheers kelpiebat.