308 HDi won’t idle

tonch504

Fellow Frogger
Hello all,

I have been tasked with fixing my son’s girlfriend’s 308 HDi that won’t idle. Naturally I consult this forum immediately so that I can take the credit for the repair once fixed. 😉
All jokes aside, the car starts easily, every time, but, it only idles for a few seconds before it cuts out. There is 1/2 a tank of fuel and the prime bulb seems fine with plenty of fuel inside.
Appreciate any advice.

Thanks.
Anton.

Which HDI engine is it? (letters 6-7-8 of the VIN are a code if you don't know the engine type).

That's one of the 2.0L engines, the DW10B.

This engine pumps up from the tank, and you can see if fuel is flowing through the transparent section of tube. If the thing has fuel coming then air supply is the next check.

This engine has a vacuum driven device to control exhaust gas recirculation, at the front of the engine. It is very common for the rubber vacuum line to split or open up and leak - no more vacuum. There is a plastic Y junction in the line at the front - check its condition, because it doesn't age well in the heat.

Is the Y junction visible in the photo? I appreciate your help.
IMG_4926.jpeg

Thanks. I see the Y piece now. It seems to be in good order.
Now for the kicker - I wanted to video the problem to give you a better idea of the fault, but the engine started and idled okay.
All I did, prior to posting, was cleaned the little sensor, circled in the photo. It was quite dirty and it caught my attention because the area around it was oily.
IMG_4929.jpeg

Air circuit:
Inlet pressure sensor (7) and temperature sensor (8)

Engine blow-by and turbo bearing leakage put oil mist all over this area. I wonder if it threw up a code.

Manifold  Air.PNG

Last edited:
Usually when these don't idle. They'll do it occasionally, like come up to a trafic light and it'll stop. Usually it's the fuel pressure regulator on the fuel pump. Easy enough to get and change. Easy enough to diagnose with live data on a scent scan tool.

Thank you cav91,
If it does it again I’ll plug in the scanner. I have the Lexia one, I think, but I find it difficult to navigate.