308 HDi - fuel priming needed on incline

Benoit 4

Tadpole
I've got a 2008 Peugeot 308 HDi 1.6. with about 185,000km. Problem: if I park on a slight incline (front-end elevated) my 308 will not start unless I hand-prime it for about 2 min.
If I park on a decline (front-end down) my car starts immediately.
Any ideas? Fuel Pressure Regulator? Fuel line check valve?

fuel filter .housing letting air in ,mines a 2 litre but i suspect the layout would be the same pugs

Thx pugwash. I'll look into it asap.
So, if the fuel filter is letting air in or not sealed properly, this can allow the diesel fuel to gravity travel back toward the fuel tank?

yes im thinking this is more likely to happen nose up ,

Pugrambo, very good input and much appreciated. I suspected there was a check valve failure but I was not sure where (within the fuel system) to find it. Now I just need to track down a new hand-priming ball, but on my 1.6 HDi it is somewhat rectangular rather than oval-shaped. Any ideas as to where I could source the proper hand-prime unit?

There seems to be a shortage of the original hand-primer as seems in the photo below. I can find some used parts but nothing new. Maybe this part had issues from the beginning...? Is there a substitute part that can be used.

Attachments

• Hand Pump Prime 2jpg.jpg
    Hand Pump Prime 2jpg.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 239
The oval ones are common. Do you have the part number for this cylindrical one? The French pompe d'amorçage will give options. Will an oval one fit?

I do not have a specific part number but I have seen the number 1574T5 or 1574.T5 has the hand primer plus the entire fuel hose assembly.
You may be correct in suggesting that an oval hand-prime may be fitted to suit the need.

Great find seasink. Thank you. I'll see if Tandor will sell the hand-prime separate from the hose assembly. If not, will try and source an acceptable oval or use ebay option. Much appreciated.

Standard Rubber don't do retail. If you read the FAQ they are in China.