308 ECU programming

ZX1990

Tadpole
Hi all - after a great run with our old 307 - we upgraded to a 2008 308 Touring - 1.6 16v petrol.
Picked it up from the previous owner - who said it had an ECU error - and he imported a new ECU / BSI and fitted and programmed them.
Noticed a few strange issues (hesitation / surging) so plugged in Peugeot Planet to pull some codes - and got the following error:

'Incorrect matching of the ECU (Incorrect engine, system or vehicle)
Fit a correct ECU

When pulling a global test - it says:

Engine ECU
Warning: ECU fitted to 308 MEV17.4 8FS.

I know my car is fitted with the 5FW motor - the 8FS is the 1.4 version.

Is it possible to reflash the ECU with the 5FW tune - I did get the old ECU / BSI from him so can pull the data from the other ECU if required.... I just don't want to start a reflash as it seemed PP would let me - and then find out it wants to connect to head office and leave me with a blank ECU!

Thanks for any help!

Wow someone who has actually swapped a BSI and ECU with a different engine and still have s running car...bravo to the previous owner or their mechanic.

As BSI and ECU are matched I would have to guess the best option is to take a dump of all the current BSI settings and then start to correct them to the actual vehicle. Not sure if you will need the correct BSI key code card or standard programming pin?

My concern as you have mentioned is the ECU thinks its for a 1.4.
I wouldn't download any cloned Pp2000 configurations as these are probably just upgrades rather than overwriting with correct configuration.

Wait for the gurus to reply with their experiences

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Swapping a matched pair won’t be a problem apart from the following if they changed the vin out of the new bsi you will have issues trying to get a key code for further key replacements also any updates specific for your car may not be available I suggest you get the vin read and hope it’s not the same as the vin on the car if it is don’t try to get any keys coded . The other issue also could be in my experience 308 petrols don’t really have ecu issues most of the time the set is swapped with the cluster to reduce the mileage showing on the car a revs check will help, with that the issue I would be looking at fuel pumps h/p coked up valves inlet have you got a vin for me to check

Yeah - It's been swapped as a set, and the VIN on the BSI updated to match the car. All other checks in PP line up with the car - except the engine code....
Previous ECU issue was an intermittent no start apparently - I think I'll swap the originals back in and see what comes up - and see if it improves the other minor issues that are showing up.... Revs check looks fine - car doesn't have any signs of having the kms changed. Will report back once I've swapped back...

Just keep in mind you won’t be able to code a key unless you have one as part of the matched set you also really need to find the correct key code for that car or you maybe buying another set

ZX1990.. (not Sinclair ZX81?) 1 bit computer jokes aside.

What did you end up doing/ working out? I think we would all be interested if you got any further with ECU issues and reinstalling the old.

ZX1990.. (not Sinclair ZX81?) 1 bit computer jokes aside.

What did you end up doing/ working out? I think we would all be interested if you got any further with ECU issues and reinstalling the old.

Missed the 1bit computer jokes - was the original numberplate on my 1990 Nissan 300ZX..

Sorry - long time between updates! Had a play with the old ECU - continuous errors, it would drop into engine failsafe. Ended up going back to the 1.4 ECU - has still been running OK until now. Just haven't had time to source and install a 1.6 ECU/BSI set.

Its coming up the priority list though - as the hesitation when rolling and going back on the throttle is getting really annoying every time I drive it!

Ah yes the 300ZX, I just saw a 260ZX last night being driven by a L plater so must have been hand me down to learn to drive a manual.

I would suggest you get the original ECU cloned (Michael on Gumtree in NSW can do it successfully) and go back to the original BSI. The only problem I can see is if the old ECU and replacement are different other than just coding?
Do all the part number and codes match? I doubt it but if they do and just software differs your in with a chance without needing to source another😕