307XSE HDi Anti-Pollution and Differential Pressure Signal Coherence issues

PeugeotLeen

Tadpole
Hi All,

First post so bear with me.

Recently became the owner of a Oct '05 307 XSE HDI 2.0lt 16v. Unfortunately I didn't check the FAP additive level prior to purchasing as the car (had a full Peugeot service history including pre-purchase service) and wasn't aware of the FAP dosing system at the time. Regardless, the reservoir seemingly emptied a few months after I purchased it as I received an 'unpollution system faulty' warning on the dash, and upon inspection found empty.

I purchased and refilled the eolys reservoir and had the local mechanic clear the fault and run a forced regeneration. Having done approximately 1,000kms it got a full service - noted the issues to the Peugeot dealer and no concerns raised in service follow up.

3,000kms (mainly highway) since, the car felt as though there was pressure on the exhaust system as whenever the turbo was about to start spooling up there seemed to be a lack of performance and tentativeness. Soon thereafter (the same short trip around town) I stopped at the car, and when I returned to start it back up I received a 'speed management system faulty' and 'unpollution system faulty' warning. Also the cars performance was seemingly significantly reduced - limped to the mechanic.

Local mechanic (non-dealer as they are 2 hours away) plugged in and found the following fault code - 1429 Differential Pressure Signal Coherence on Startup. He was also unable to make the car perform a forced regeneration.

Since then I've purchased a new FAP differential pressure sensor (sounds like they regularly have issues with water ingress?) which I expect to receive shortly and intend on replacing next weekend - part number 1618Z9.

Has anyone had experience in replacing these and any valuable tips? Also is there any reason not to think this is likely the culprit given the faults and issues? i.e. sensor not functioning correctly, and thus not calling for regenerations to occur = build up in FAP and reduced performance?

Any assistance would be great.

Cheers,

All,

Updated on the above.

The new DPF sensor is fitted and removed the fault code showing. It also allowed for a regeneration to be run on the DPF. As a matter of course I've also purchased and installed a new DPF. 3 day delivery from the UK on both parts.

Within a week of installation the car has had significantly reduced power, with highly noticeable exhaust pressure to the point of being concerned taking it over 2000RPM. I've this afternoon disconnected the EGR valves electrical connection - knowing that it will invoke a fault code - for the sake of assessing whether this could be the issue. It's provided an immediate resolution to the issue, however it's something that I'm not keen to keep disconnected in the long term as the ECU won't allow for a regeneration without EGR operation.

The EGR valve is in a hell of a spot on the 2.0 136 HDI so I'm wondering if anyone has used Wynns EGR4 cleaner through the air intake to clean their EGR or carby cleaner in lieu? The Wynns is a little harder to come by in Australia than carby cleaner.

Alternatively anyone know of a good mechanic in the Dubbo area that will be familiar with the 2.0HDI?

Cheers,

Welcome to Aussie Frogs!

I would say that the lack of response you are getting suggests not too many people have had the problems you are discussing. However there are people on here like "young 4 old pug" who are expert mechanics (and work on modern pugs) who should be able to help if they notice your thread. Sometimes I have found that a new thread can be pushed off the page by a rush of other posts, and the people who might be willing and able to help never see your cry for help :cry:.

We owned a Series II (T6) 2lt HDi for 3 years - purchased it new in Feb 2006, so essentially the same as yours. In 2006 all the 2lt T6 diesels were recalled because the EGR valves were failing. Ours actually failed completely (I presume they jam wide open :confused:) before we could get it to the dealer, and our beautiful new car had to be taken to the Tamworth dealer by truck :(.

So next step might be to enquire as to whether yours actually has had the new EGR fitted (I believe the replacements were redesigned so as not to fail as often). Should be some indication in the service record book. You may just have to bite the bullet and get a new EGR valve.

Cheers

Alec

EGR valves and EPDS (exhaust pressure differential sensor) fail due to water ingress due to a small drain behind the battery not being put back into the sound deadening material 😠 - often caused by people not knowing what they are doing touching things that they shouldn't....which is why things go wrong....

At idle and at 4000rpm in neutral check EPDS live data. With a new DPF it shouldn't go over about 12mb even on high load. If it does then the precat just before the FAP is blocked (happens when no one bothers to top up additive and system doesn't regenerate which results in temperature up around 900°C in dpf which melts precat....I've had one go from 300°C to 850°C in the space of 2 seconds.....)

When additive was topped up was the additive counter reset?

And when you replaced the DPF was the ECU informed of the new filter?

Also while looking at live data check the temperature inside the DPF. under normal conditions it will sit between 250 - 350°C. On regeneration it will go up to around 450°C but shouldn't go higher than that. If it does you have a problem.

You MUST make sure that your mechanic knows how this system works. You only need to select one thing wrong by pressing the wrong button and you can stuff the whole DPF system up. There is no crlt Z. It isn't simple like a Mitsubishi. There are soooo many things that come into play. For example the EPDS is not used for regeneration points - it is used for long term load calculations and as a back up sensor (like when someone resets something that they shouldn't have). Regenerations are determined by a series of calculations. Additive is measured as a quantity but is injected as a weight. And there is no level sensor. Level is calulated. So imagine what happens when that gets reset by accident. I can't stress how important it is not to have a mechanic pressing random buttons to make things go away....

Thanks Armidillo and Young 4 old pug,

The whole thing has obviously moved beyond my 'having a go' and appreciate the advice. The local mechanic isn't overly familiar with Peugeot and I'd say it is safe to assume that he has not reset any ECU settings etc when asked i.e. following additive, DPF or DEPS replacements - but probably rather reset faults - i.e. cleared only.

I may need to do another call around to all of the local mechanics to see if any are familiar with the system and capable of fault finding per advice above, the alternative being that I take it to the dealer in Orange (1.5hrs) away. The reason I'm loathe to do that is that all of the works they have quoted to date have been beyond unreasonable.. equally the car is no good to me without a working engine so I may have to bite the bullet!

Following the ring around I'll get an update online.

Given it has a new DPF and DEPS is there a genuine risk of fatal issues if it were driven on a long highway drive - i.e. to either Sydney or Melbourne? I'm from Melbourne and figure there will be plenty more options for knowledgable dealers/mechanics there, or in Sydney. Unless anyone has thoughts about the Dubbo/Orange/Mudgee area?

Cheers,

Further update - I've looked back through the log books (no real detail) and service receipts - all of which are dealer services - thankfully the previous owner passed them along! No specific mention of EGR valve replacement, however there is an Oct 2010 invoice for 'replace recopy sensor as diagnosed on RO81244', parts detailed include 'turbo kit' and 'EGR vacuum pipe'. 'Supplied and fitted recopy turbo sensor and vent filter. All tests OK' - cost $1,100. Previous owner believes that it was the DEPS that was replaced although the title may suggest that perhaps the EGR valve replacement works have been undertaken.

Cheers,

Re copy sensor is a sensor built into the vacuum operated variable vane actuator in the turbo. It informs the ECU of the position of the variable vanes inside the turbo.

update

Thanks all, plan at this point is to replace the car and ship it back ij the direction of home (Geelong/Melbourne) and have it brought up to saleable condition.

Any recommendations for service locations thereabouts would be appreciated.

EGR valves and EPDS (exhaust pressure differential sensor) fail due to water ingress due to a small drain behind the battery not being put back into the sound deadening material  - often caused by people not knowing what they are doing touching things that they shouldn't....which is why things go wrong....

At idle and at 4000rpm in neutral check EPDS live data. With a new DPF it shouldn't go over about 12mb even on high load. If it does then the precat just before the FAP is blocked (happens when no one bothers to top up additive and system doesn't regenerate which results in temperature up around 900°C in dpf which melts precat....I've had one go from 300°C to 850°C in the space of 2 seconds.....)

Sorry this is an old post. I have noticed that part of my car has faded and the tube has worn. The plastic part on the windshield has sort of succumb to the sun and there are cracks in the rubber bits/seals that rest on the windscreen. Easiest way to sort this??