307WRC.. now with pitures !

tekkie

1000+ Posts
7887-1.jpg

From Pistonheads website:

Peugeot’s new WRC contender will compete for the first time shortly in the gruelling Monte Carlo Rally. This year, Peugeot’s two-time World Champion, Marcus Gronholm, will be joined by exciting Belgian driver ‘fast Freddy’ Loix.

The new car – based on the 307 CC – will replace the successful 206 WRC that has dominated the scene for so long. It uses an all-aluminium 2.0-litre engine that develops up to 300 bhp at 5,250 rpm with 390 lb-ft of torque at 3,500 rpm.

humm, err.. mmmk. But why choose a larger car when you have a 206? Isnt power to weight be all in motorsport?
Doesn't make too much sense from the marketing point of view either, when you released a 206GTi180, but have no equivalent ball tearer in the 307 range for people to flock to.

:rolleyes:

there's a great article in this weeks Auto Action about the 307 WRC, including a 2 page picture in the middle of the mag...

also i'd suggest that there are new car regulations for WRC thus why they arent using the 206 any more...

Re:307 WRC

tekkie said:
7887-1.jpg

From Pistonheads website:

Peugeot’s new WRC contender will compete for the first time shortly in the gruelling Monte Carlo Rally. This year, Peugeot’s two-time World Champion, Marcus Gronholm, will be joined by exciting Belgian driver ‘fast Freddy’ Loix.

The new car – based on the 307 CC – will replace the successful 206 WRC that has dominated the scene for so long. It uses an all-aluminium 2.0-litre engine that develops up to 300 bhp at 5,250 rpm with 390 lb-ft of torque at 3,500 rpm.

humm, err.. mmmk. But why choose a larger car when you have a 206? Isnt power to weight be all in motorsport?
Doesn't make too much sense from the marketing point of view either, when you released a 206GTi180, but have no equivalent ball tearer in the 307 range for people to flock to.

:rolleyes:

Hey Tekkie,

bear in mind a 307 shell only weighs 307Kg and there is a 320Kg minimum weight for any WRC car body shell, so the weight penalty for the CC body isn't an issue. In fact the added rigidity inbuilt into the CC floorpan may be of technical benefit to the cars performance. The final built up car sits bang on the 1230Kg minimum weight with balast added.
(lifted from-http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread/t-457587.html)

Even though the model choice was made for the Rally Team by the marketing dept., a bigger car is not necessarily a bad thing-an opportunity to redistribute the weight and the newer XU7JP4 engine allows them to run a longtitudinal transmission, thus enabling quicker replacement/servicing.

I see Peugeot as leaders, rather than following the pack in moving to a different ('tho seemingly heavier) base car.

I agree that the project is somewhat undermined with no hero car in the 307 range.

Maybe a 250hp 4wd turbo to regain some lost ground.

My :2cents: worth!

Jeff

Love this forum ! :)

post a comment (well rally a question as to why a 307) and one gets an answer :)

The minimum weight... humm, ok, but a lighter car gives more freedom to redistribute the added weight to wherever the team feels will add the balance benefit. Unless the minimum weight of the shell has to be "as from production line", most probably to stop hybrid carbon/alloys look-a-likes.
The wheelbase is definately a problem if the WRC has set a limit (as it seems apparent).
I always thought that the hardtop has more inherent rigidity over the the coupe .. you know box structure will always be stronger then a flat u channel.

cheers for the heads up about the new regulations. :)

307WRC

The new 307WRC is both the same weight(min.) and the same width as the 206WRC it replaces, it differs by being longer, which clearly gives the techos more room for tranmissions. This in turn makes for quicker & easier servicing.
The team have apparently homologated a 4 speed & a 5 speed Hewland g/box.
Also it seems the torque is delivered at lower rpm than in 206, so they expect to make fewer gear changes. That being the case thay may use a stronger 4 speed box for beefed up reliability in suitably fast rallies-more likely on gravel than tarmac i would think. I can see Marcus taking this car by the scruff on gravel. Alez Peugeot !
Don :cheers: :mallet:

Great picture!! Never liked the car in red though!
It just goes to show how far behind the times we are in this country, Peugeot hold back the 206GTi180 for what reason I don't know, when they finally decide to release it in this country, there is a press release about the new 307cc rally car, which still isn't available in this country.(Officially, But there are a couple here!;))

:cheers:
P.S. Buy the way has anyone seem the new Peugeot that just came into the country it arrived on the last shipment...................it's the 203 and it has a am radio!!:dance:

GTi180killer said:
P.S. Buy the way has anyone seem the new Peugeot that just came into the country it arrived on the last shipment...................it's the 203 and it has a am radio!!:dance:
It has a wireless !!!! Wholey smoke ! :evil:
- XTC206 -

In another post, i put up a link for some video footage...

can't remember which post it was... if anyone wants the link... PM me..