307HDI Problems

luthier

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Just got home after a couple of thousand K's.
For the first half the car appeared to have no faults.
Then a couple of times the temp gauge went to the extreme right and it told me to STOP.
I ignored it and it returned to normal soon afterwards.
Then a while later it started to do the old missing syndrome, cutting out for a few beats. This happened for a minute or so and then it went OK for a while.
Then a few hundred K's on it started again and this time it cut right out and stranded me by the side of the road.
But I tried it almost immediately and it started. This was about 800K's from home and I then tried not to take it above 2000rpm.
I found this allowed it to run well except going up the long steep Moonbi Hill it began to miss and I barely made it to the top in 2nd gear.
However after this I managed to keep it running smoothly as long as the revs were below 2000rpm.

As soon as I got home I put it on the diagnostic.

Here are the faults shown:

P0100 -high airflow
-Intermittent. [ I will say that just before we left I fitted a brand new Peugeot MAF at exhorbitent cost.]

P0483 -Engine cooling function integrated in the engine control unit
-Open circuit
-Permanent

P0335 -Engine speed signal,no signal
-Intermittent

So can anyone shed any light on this disaster? Do I need a new ECU?
Where is the third fault, the speed signal situated?
I'll need to fix all this or it'll have to go to landfill.

Help appreciated.

After careful thought I see that these are the same faults as what I have already fixed.
So I replaced the MAF but the fault still shows.
I replaced the low speed cooling fan relay and this now apparently faulty again after a few weeks. I'm not really surprised that this failed because it was a cheap and nasty ebay jobbie.
I replaced the TDC Crank sensor which is the Engine Speed sensor. I used a good quality new one and now this is also showing as a fault in about 3 weeks.

Since you guys are no help at all with all this I have booked it into Coles in Lismore for their boys to have at it.

I have to say I am starting to feel a bit like a leper round here or else I am really surprised that nobody actually seems to know anything about this stuff.
I thought we were all into fixing it without professional help because there's always a backyard solution but it looks like that's not right.

Anyway if anyone does have any bright ideas about what I might possibly look for I would be over the moon grateful.
I'm expecting the boys to unravel my wiring loom in an attempt to find anything dodgy that might create such symptoms because they have never had an ECU fail on the 1.6Diesel. I have to the 29th before they can see it so in the meantime if I could solve it I would be very happy.
Cheers.

If the MAF was replaced what error did the old MAF have?
If the same P0100 high airflow, I'd be checking for an oxygen sensor or secondary air flow sensor or wiring loom.

Also check ECU wiring harness for water ingress and corrosion on pins and sockets.

From other posts there seems to be slightly different thermostats available one with sensor connection and one type without which would cause the permanent/open circuit error.
Did replacing the relay clear this error? Did you run the engine after and check fan operating correctly?

Engine speed sensor may be on the gearbox, have read on ABS but I've disconnected my ABS and speedo still works and the gearbox doesn't have a speed sensor so not sure where the info is calculated from?

Keep looking...

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thanks for your thoughts.
The MAF was replaced first with a secondhand one which immediately showed the same P0100 fault, so then a genuine new Peugeot brand MAF was fitted. At that point no faults showed and it took over 1000K's before the same fault returned.
Having cleared the faults they have not returned after a couple of hundred K's but the hesitation/missing still occurs if I take the revs above 2000.

Checked the ECU and it looks clean under there. Maybe I should take the connectors off it and give it a spray with contact cleaner and a once over with a toothbrush. Coles told me they have never had one of these ECU's fail on the 1.6 diesel so I'm hoping it's not another case of me being the only one it ever happened to. Sadly that is often my lot in life Lalena.

I replaced the slow fan relay with a cheap Chinese knockoff and it worked perfectly for a month, using the delphi diag tool I can activate it independently and this worked but now it doesn't. I am putting this down to part failure from being a skinflint. I'll get a genuine one to replace it.

The Crank sensor is fitted at the top of the timing case and must run off one of the camshaft pulleys magnetically. I replaced that with a new genuine one a month ago so I am concerned with that fault because that definitely shouldn't happen.

Really don't know where to go now without tracing every wire and that would be almost impossible for me so I will probably wait for Coles where I'm booked in on the 29th.

If you can get the connector off without breaking them check the pins. Also check harness to thermostat for any rubbing.
More likely one connection to a sensor is causing havoc on the bus to the ECUs.
Crank sensor in on the bottom on the engine so plenty of places the cabling could be rubbing on.

Check resistance on old and new crank sensor as guarantee they will both be very close so wiring or the ring on the crank could be cracked.

I'll be playing on a non starting 307 over the weekend but a petrol which had similar issues, so eliminate everything you touch

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

The crank sensor is on top on the 1.6 HDI.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ukaXvlRf5o

I think you are correct that it's a wire somewhere rubbed out. And also that the old and new crank sensors are probably both OK. Also probably the MAF of which I now have 3.

So I hope Coles will find it because I really don't think I can . The car is still going well as long as I don't rev above 2000.
Driving this way we did 1059K's and used 57 litres on our way home from Sydney which was spectacular.
If it wasn't for the problem going up Moonbi hill where we nearly didn't make it I'd just drive it all the time like this but it gets tiresome when I want to overtake or really give it the business.

Thanks mate. Good luck with the petrol car.

That’s the cam sensor the crank sensor on these is behind the crank pulley behind the rhf wheel the connector on these is a well known fault.

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Ah thanks David. Another clue that could be the answer. I'll be out there at first light.