307HDI Fault P0483

luthier

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Symptoms:
The car runs fine, the aircon works great but occasionally the temp gauge suddenly trips off the scale and it tells me to stop. I ignore this and it goes away after a minute or so, and may not show again for a couple of days.
However using the Delphi diag it throws the P0483 cooling fault after a few minutes of clear codes.

Having activated Regeneration a few times it will do the revving smoothly up to 3800 and back down but always says the process failed. I assume that's because of this fault code that keeps recurring.
It was missing slightly at the top of the revs but this has been cured with the new crank sensor I expect.

Having replaced the coolant sensor I was surprised to still have a fault.
Turns out the slow speed fan does not actuate but the high speed does.
This proves that the fan works and that there is connectivity between fan and ECU I imagine.
The fan works well with the AC on.
So I think it's down to the relay for slow and fast running which I removed and inspected. Connections are clean and shiny . No connectivity between the two large connectors but I'm assuming they need to be switched on by the relay.
So I really don't know how to test that unit? There was some connectivity between some of the 4 small connectors but I'm shooting in the dark.
Hints please?
Is it serviceable or should I just get a new one and try it? I see it has tiny little screws holding it together. Is it worth opening up for a look?
Thanks.

Hello Luthier,

you appear to be describing a few different faults - consisting of:

1. a temperature sensor issue;
2. a low-speed thermatic fan issue; and
3. an inability to perform a regeneration on the catalytic converter.

The temperature sensor issue is the most critical (if it doesn't read properly what's the point of having it?). I assume the temperature sensor is Negative Temperature Co-efficient (NTC) so as temperature goes up, resistance goes down. If that's the case, then as temperature goes UP, resistance goes DOWN. What the temperature gauge is reporting is a short-circuit, so it would appear you may have a wire shorting to earth.

I don't have the schematic handy but it sounds like a wiring issue - do you know if there was any damage to the vehicle at any stage? If there was, check the wiring looms in that area, and look for a worn cable.

Have you tried removing the plugs to the Body System Interface (BSI) computer and/or Engine Control Unit (ECU)? You may have a loose or dirty contact there.

Unfortunately, intermittent faults are always the hardest to locate!

P0483 you need a cooling fan module very common

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

When I looked this code up it said: Défaut du signal de diagnostic du GMV

This had me scratching my head for a while, as it's a vector expression from mathematical signal processing. But some further research showed that PSA means Groupe Moto-Ventilateur which makes more sense, but I'm not sure if the average voiture owner would get it.

P0483 you need a cooling fan module very common

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Yeah one of these right? Thanks David.
s-l1600.jpg

Yeah that’s it

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE