307 Petrol losing coolant

Yep he'll be getting a new bottle but what I was saying was that since it has been difficult to fully close I reckon he hasn't closed it completely resulting in overflow and subsequent heating. However right now I have it properly cranked down hard with no leaks and he has managed to get over to Byron from Nimbin in the heat of the day with no issues so I reckon we're on the home run. What a silly saga as overheating so often is, just thankful it seems to be much less serious than we had thought. WC [worst case] was not justified this time with any luck.

He overheated again today of all days. About 45degrees in the shade. So he got back home using the same method I used , switching the engine on and off. Then accessed a new recovery bottle cap. So we'll see how it goes when properly bled and sealed.
Why am I pessimistic?
Seriously I'm thinking more about the radiator now. But I am truly over the damn thing and told him to go sort it out himself. At this stage I don't want to know about it any more. I'm sending him to the pros for the next stage. It's beyond me.

The good thing about these cars are that the radiators are relatively cheap both on eBay and wreckers.
I wouldn’t scrap a car just cause it may need a new radiator, they are pretty much considered service items these days.

I would say well over 300k is not to bad for a rad

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Our 307 overheated badly and as second hand warranty the deale put new thermostat housing and radiator in it and it was fixed. I remember in my early years of driving over heating cars being told taking out the thermostat can cause water to flow through the radiator to quick and it doesn't cool. Anyone else heard that?

I strongly suggest calling Peter at Liquid Engineering in Kemps Creek.He,or his Daughter ,or one of his crew will give you a great run down on the do's...and dont's...and actual solutions liquid ones that will surprise you.
I have always disliked Chemiweld,Peter is an Industrial Chemist,researching and manufacturing effective answers.
He is STRAIGHT UP.!1

Cheers.

. . . I remember in my early years of driving over heating cars being told taking out the thermostat can cause water to flow through the radiator to quick and it doesn't cool. Anyone else heard that?

Yes. Definitely heard that one.

Definitely makes sense when you understand the importance of residence time in heat exchangers and pasteurisers for either cooling or heating purposes.

I fitted a new thermostat but that didn't help at all. So I got a good secondhand radiator from the wreckers. Problem solved.
I'd say the chemiweld finished off the original radiator dated 2002. What I hadn't been told was that last Summer the car was running a bit hot but was OK in winter in the Blue Mountains. Had I known this in the first place........ but it did need the water pump too.
What a saga.