307 new battery fitted; now some questions

I couldn't tell from the posts if you were previously able to change the personalisation/configuration setup.
I wonder if the multifunction display needs to be configured via Diagbox to match the non-original radio you have?
Thanks, Alex.

I thought that I had said it, but amongst everything else that's been posted, it is easy to miss what you're looking for!

With my limited knowledge, I have begun wondering the same thing - Diagbox, non-original display.

SLC prompted me about 10 or 12 posts back when he asked if it was the original radio (or similar words). But SLC hasn't been back to follow up with me so I've left it hanging. And I recall a friend having some issues with the audio system in his 607 when a Bluetooth module was added. But I don't know all of the details of that problem/resolution.

[I bought a Stephenson's Rocket era laptop from a fellow frogger a couple of years ago. But I haven't done a lot with the software yet, partly because it's a hassle having to bring the car inside when I want to do anything. It's almost as difficult getting extension leads to the car so that I can have the laptop plug into the car. (That was all a joke indicating that the battery on the laptop gives me about 8 minutes of run time.) I've also seen posts on here with people referring to later versions of Diagbox and I suppose that it would be a good idea to update both laptop and software. But me and Windows aren't on speaking terms and I'll have to get on hand assistance with either task. Give ma a Mac any day!]

That said, is it a reasonably simple task to reconfigure the MFD?

Andrew

Three weeks later and I’m still trying to get the 307’s computer/BSI configured.

I’ve just found a post by Addo from 2014 where he was advising someone who had changed the stereo in his 307 and then he was experiencing some problems.

Addo wrote:
For aftermarket stereos you set the radio option in the BSI configuration menu to "other" and avoid excessive error messages in diagnosis.

How do I get to this menu? I have not seen it in the hours that I’ve spent on DiagBox with the 307 during the past three weeks.

I have seen a menu item for installing an RD4 with Bluetooth. But DiagBox repeatedly tells me that the operation was not completed.

So I’m still looking for the solution.

Cheers,
Andrew

It's a 2007 model.

I've had to navigate the menus before so I'm reasonably confident about doing that when I can get to them. But the problem still is that I can't get in.

No buttons work.

I've looked at the flowchart - for a couple of different models, just to check that I was looking at the correct setup. But in my mind, it all boils down to the fact that I can't get into the menus. Something is preventing access. And I don't know what that is. Which is where I started on my initial post. What am I missing?

(I've been wrong before, as you well know. I don't claim to get everything right. But I'm as sure as I can be that I simply cannot get into the menu system to do any configuration.)

Andrew
Hi Andrew, did you get the buttons on the radio to work?
I've just had a Blaupunkt RD4 radio with exactly the same issue, used an oscilloscope to find the keypad has a 'stuck' key which stops the others from working. An ohmmeter showed a 25 ohm short somewhere and after a lot of head scratching and cutting tracks to isolate the short it looks like the pcb has some sort of corrosion happening between layers that develops into a resistance between track vias and the ground plane. So I used a dremmel to grind back the copper and soldered in a bridge wire, it's not pretty but now all the keys work and I can change the Multifunction C display settings :)

1693912773826.png

Just swapped my 407 to Display C monochrome with 5 selections including Bluetooth, distinctly different to the one that came out, its connector was on the opposite side, thankfully it works. Interestingly the Bluetooth operations were different so these are in this unit itself.

Start at the menu button which lets you change the display it should start at language, if not remove radio and disconnect the diplay itself for a little while, it has no backup so will clear memory immediately, connect back up and you should be able to get into its memory to configure,. Heaven knows what else you need to do but at least it should all be in there.

Alex I would love to visit you and watch you one day your adventures never cease to impress.

Hi Andrew, did you get the buttons on the radio to work?
Hi Alex,

The short answer is no.

And the long answer is too long.

I never want to say never, especially after all of the mistakes that I’ve made in the past couple of years. But I’m still convinced that the problem is in the configuration. But DiagBox has been giving me a headache. Or, maybe I should say, Windows has been giving me a headache and that’s preventing me from getting as far as DiagBox. (I have long said that I’m not compatible with Windows. And I’m being proven correct again.)

Hi Alex,
The short answer is no.
And the long answer is too long.
I never want to say never, especially after all of the mistakes that I’ve made in the past couple of years. But I’m still convinced that the problem is in the configuration. But DiagBox has been giving me a headache. Or, maybe I should say, Windows has been giving me a headache and that’s preventing me from getting as far as DiagBox. (I have long said that I’m not compatible with Windows. And I’m being proven correct again.)

But yes, the problem is that the buttons don’t generally respond. The <Source> button responded a couple of times but it has stopped now.
It's true your issues began with the flat battery resetting the BSI, this observation though is consistent with the keypad developing corrosion similar to my RD4. I spent a week going through all the diagbox menus to reconfigure the radio and display before giving up and pulling the radio apart.

It's true your issues began with the flat battery resetting the BSI, this observation though is consistent with the keypad developing corrosion similar to my RD4. I spent a week going through all the diagbox menus to reconfigure the radio and display before giving up and pulling the radio apart.
I understand what you're saying. That means that I follow your logic, that's all.

But why was I able to configure everything previously? Why was I able to use the RD4 normally prior to the flat battery?

Why did this problem show up 'magically' after the battery had been replaced? To me, that's where your logic falls down. What have I missed?

If the problem is as you say, I won't know anything until the radio is out and apart. And whilst I can do that, the oscilloscope stuff is not me. I need to wait for a friend to take charge of that side of things. Next week? The week after?

Just swapped my 407 to Display C monochrome with 5 selections including Bluetooth, distinctly different to the one that came out, its connector was on the opposite side, thankfully it works. Interestingly the Bluetooth operations were different so these are in this unit itself.

Start at the menu button which lets you change the display it should start at language, if not remove radio and disconnect the diplay itself for a little while, it has no backup so will clear memory immediately, connect back up and you should be able to get into its memory to configure,. Heaven knows what else you need to do but at least it should all be in there.

Alex I would love to visit you and watch you one day your adventures never cease to impress.
How many sections did the previous Display C have? I don't think that I've seen a 5 section one mentioned in any of my books.

The display on mine is showing everything in French. But I can't get any response from any buttons on the panel to change the language. And pressing the end of the wiper stalk should rotate through various display options on the monochrome screen, especially the car computer/fuel consumption. There's no response on the screen when I do that.

What I did find interesting, though, has been on the cold mornings, the temperature has shown up flashing (to indicate the risk of ice) in the bottom right corner of the screen. The temperature has not displayed at any other time. Weird!

Mine always had 5, four for the car and when I added bluetooth it popped up on the old more orange OEM display, this one was not the same but works mostly, some bluetooth oddities so far.

[I bought a Stephenson's Rocket era laptop from a fellow frogger a couple of years ago. But I haven't done a lot with the software yet, partly because it's a hassle having to bring the car inside when I want to do anything. It's almost as difficult getting extension leads to the car so that I can have the laptop plug into the car. (That was all a joke indicating that the battery on the laptop gives me about 8 minutes of run time.)

Aldi have a 12VDC to 240VAC power inverter on sale this Wed for $70,
connect directly to car battery and your laptop can run uninterrupted off it's AC adapter instead of your extra long extension leads :)

1696928933640.png

Aldi have a 12VDC to 240VAC power inverter on sale this Wed for $70,
connect directly to car battery and your laptop can run uninterrupted off it's AC adapter instead of your extra long extension leads :)

View attachment 228573
Thanks for this, Alex.

I'm also looking at one on Gumtree for about $10 less with postage included, from memory. I'm just waiting on a couple of bits of information from the seller before I make the purchase. But if he doesn't hurry up, then Aldi will get my business.