307 new battery fitted; now some questions

Fellow Frogger
Hi all,

I’m back for more help.

My 307 HDi had been sitting for a couple of months with a flat battery. I have now replaced the battery and the battery seller told me that they had reset whatever needed to be reset. Unfortunately, it was late in the day when they did all of this and they went home. But central locking didn’t work (with the key) and the automatic headlights didn’t function. They were the first two things I noticed but I’m sure that there are many other things as well.

I found the BSI reset procedure on here
and have followed that as far as I can tell. Certainly, central locking is working properly with the key and the automatic headlights are functioning properly.

But everything on the central menu system is in French and I cannot change anything. I can’t access the menus.

What am I missing?

Thanks, as always, for your assistance.
Andrew

Copied from the 307 owner's handbook. I play safe and wait much more than 2 minutes. Have a cuppa. I would start again.

p307 battery.png

p307 key.png

Seasink is being sensible with owner's handbook information and I'm thinking this is an opportunity to learn French. 🤣

Seasink is being sensible with owner's handbook information and I'm thinking this is an opportunity to learn French. 🤣
If I could get to do something with the menus, I might have taken the challenge to remember my French language skills. (My parents spoke French to each other when they didn’t want us children to know what they were talking about. It was a great incentive to learn French!)

Sadly, I don’t have my language skills any longer. And I can’t do anything with the menus.

Cheers,
Andrew

Copied from the 307 owner's handbook. I play safe and wait much more than 2 minutes. Have a cuppa. I would start again.

View attachment 221972

View attachment 221973
Thanks, seasink.

When I read the information about waiting the various times, it wasn’t clear to me whether or not they intended the times to be exact or to be a minimum time. I did the best I could to wait the exact time specified for each section! :rolleyes:

It’s interesting to me that what you copied from the owner’s manual is a much simpler procedure than that which I linked to from the thread on here from 2014! But I haven’t read the extra sections in the manual to find out what’s involved in reinitialising the windows.

I also wonder what the Peugeot dealer will do if ‘slight difficulties are experienced after reconnecting the battery’. I know what my local dealer will do, but I don’t know what a dealer who knows what they’re doing will do. Any tips on that front?

Many thanks,
Andrew

You car is nothing more than a set of interconnected computers. Just as for a home computer you must allow a system to shut down correctly or things can go very wrong, That wait after turning off the engine is to allow reset. For safety don't disconnect until the doors etc have not been touched for a while also - this applies when the engine wasn't running..

You also have to wait while systems load themselves before you can do anything safely. Home computers shut you out until a log in when it's ready, but the car doesn't do this.

A car's system is never shut down, as there are a number of sensors that must always be monitored - starting with the door locks, door open sensors, and then all the things that work or are sensed when the engine is not running. After a power failure from battery disconnection time has to be allowed to get the system back to the working state before you force new inputs.

The book says two minutes but I always wait longer. Why rush?

Last edited:
The book says two minutes but I always wait longer. Why rush?
I’ll read the rest of the message later, but for now, I’ll say that I can think of plenty of reasons to rush.

But that’s another topic for another day. Maybe.

I just use the Google Translate App. Hold screen on French instruction and it will translate for you live

But everything on the central menu system is in French and I cannot change anything. I can’t access the menus.

What am I missing?
Is this the original Peugeot radio?

When you say you "can't access the menus" is that because the radio buttons don't respond or that you can't read French?

The multifunction display menus are now in French. The BSI computer on restarting has returned to its default state. It didn't recover the previous settings.

When you say you "can't access the menus" is that because the radio buttons don't respond or that you can't read French?
I can read some French. I have been able to read enough to understand some of the messages that have appeared on the multifunctional display unit, such as, Risk of ice (it’s been cold here!) and a couple of others.

But yes, the problem is that the buttons don’t generally respond. The <Source> button responded a couple of times but it has stopped now.

I think that the <Dark> button responds, but I can’t be certain. It’s difficult, if not impossible, to see that in the daylight.

Cheers,
Andrew

I missed the first question in your post. Sorry.

It’s not the radio that came with this 307. But it’s a Peugeot RD4 Bluetooth (from memory). Short of removing it, is there any method of determining the model?

It’s not the radio that came with this 307. But it’s a Peugeot RD4 Bluetooth (from memory). Short of removing it, is there any method of determining the model?

The owners manual has some screenshots of the menus for the various multifunction displays and rd4 radio
https://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/APddb/
At top right of page select English, then 307, model, year.

1685150404573.png

Attachments

• 1685149960051.png
    1685149960051.png
    149.2 KB · Views: 64
The owners manual has some screenshots of the menus for the various multifunction displays and rd4 radio
https://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/APddb/
At top right of page select English, then 307, model, year.
That's all good, Alex, but I can't turn on the radio/audio system to access any of the menus or settings!

If you meant that I should understand something else by your post, then I missed whatever that was.

That's all good, Alex, but I can't turn on the radio/audio system to access any of the menus or settings!
If you meant that I should understand something else by your post, then I missed whatever that was.
The screenshots may help you identify the non original radio/multifunction display as being Monochrome A, B, C, CT or DT.
I also noted they differed in sequence of buttons to change or exit menu selections.
Also wondered if messages like 'verglas sur la route' needed you to press 'esc' before other buttons would work.

Also, for the DisplayC (which you may not have) in my screenshot above it indicates that you do not need to turn on the radio/audio system to access the General (trip-computer & handsfree) and Configuration menus (to change language) which I figure may also apply to your display.

I have always found it difficult to choose my display unit from those pictures; they never look the same as what's in the car.

However, Monochrome Screen C is the one I think I have. I know that I have a screen capable of displaying 4 columns and that's the only one which shows four columns. On the balance of probabilities, I'm going with that. Everything else is close, too.

I haven't needed to press <Esc> for any buttons to work. I've tried every button and I still can't get anything other than <SRC> to work. And that worked only twice, I think.

Andrew

What year is your 307?
looking at the 2005/06 guide <SRC> is above volume knob on left, to change configuration there is a <MENU> on right side of radio
Then depending on which radio is fitted you press left/right arrows, or up/down arrows, to navigate the menus.

Here's the flowchart to change date/time, if left/right don't work after pressing menu then try up/down and then OK to enter next menu.

1685177078819.png

It's a 2007 model.

I've had to navigate the menus before so I'm reasonably confident about doing that when I can get to them. But the problem still is that I can't get in.

No buttons work.

I've looked at the flowchart - for a couple of different models, just to check that I was looking at the correct setup. But in my mind, it all boils down to the fact that I can't get into the menus. Something is preventing access. And I don't know what that is. Which is where I started on my initial post. What am I missing?

(I've been wrong before, as you well know. I don't claim to get everything right. But I'm as sure as I can be that I simply cannot get into the menu system to do any configuration.)

Andrew

It's a 2007 model.

I've had to navigate the menus before so I'm reasonably confident about doing that when I can get to them. But the problem still is that I can't get in.
No buttons work.
I've looked at the flowchart - for a couple of different models, just to check that I was looking at the correct setup. But in my mind, it all boils down to the fact that I can't get into the menus. Something is preventing access. And I don't know what that is. Which is where I started on my initial post. What am I missing?
I couldn't tell from the posts if you were previously able to change the personalisation/configuration setup.
I wonder if the multifunction display needs to be configured via Diagbox to match the non-original radio you have?