307 key / electronics

Fellow Frogger
Hi there,

I’m wondering if the circuit board inside the 307 key fob is used for anything other than powering the remote locking/unlocking.

The key fob was completely immersed in water for the best part of an hour last week. The key worked to lock and unlock the car immediately after being taken out of the water and was then used to start the car. No problems at this point.

An hour or so later, it wouldn’t lock the car remotely and then the display indicated that the battery was flat. The key has been used to start the car since, but no message about the battery has appeared. I’m a bit puzzled by it. It doesn’t seem to be consistent.

Any useful information?

Thanks, as always,
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

I have had a key fob accidentally go through the washing machine.

What I did was immediately dismantle, wash the key fob parts in fresh water, dry and then reassemble.

I then tested it and all was fine.

I would check the battery to make sure that the voltage is correct, inspect the board and battery terminals for damage (corrosion).

If in doubt by a new battery.

Hi there,

I’m wondering if the circuit board inside the 307 key fob is used for anything other than powering the remote locking/unlocking.

The key fob was completely immersed in water for the best part of an hour last week. The key worked to lock and unlock the car immediately after being taken out of the water and was then used to start the car. No problems at this point.

An hour or so later, it wouldn’t lock the car remotely and then the display indicated that the battery was flat. The key has been used to start the car since, but no message about the battery has appeared. I’m a bit puzzled by it. It doesn’t seem to be consistent.

Any useful information?

Thanks, as always,
Andrew

Sent from my iPad using aussiefrogs

I had a similar occurrence with the wireless remote for our driveway gate.

The remote went through the washing machine and worked immediately afterwards.

A day later it had stopped working.

I removed the battery and sprayed the board with a water displacing spray. After a couple of hours I fitted a new battery and it has been working fine ever since.

My theory is that the water condenses and effects the electronics. The water displacing spray gets rid of the water.

Thanks for the replies. [emoji106]

I’ll find a way to test the battery voltage. I don’t have a meter.

The board appears to be okay, but hidden damage? I don’t know.

Rob, I like the idea of a water displacement spray. And possibly an electronics cleaner spray.

I have dried and cleaned the battery, but if I need a replacement, they’re not easy to find, except online. These odd sized batteries drive me crazy. 1620. And no two electronic items I purchase ever use the same battery!

Dimistyle, are there easily found instructions for re-syncing the central locking? Or do I need to ask on here again?

Cheers!
Andrew

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

If you use any of purpose made "electronics cleaners" beware of the effect of plastic items.

I remember, as bench technician, many years ago applying servisol to clean a scratchy volume control on a transistor radio receiver and the over spray turning the dial plastic opaque.

Thanks for that, robmac. It is something I know, but not something that I would have necessarily thought about at the time of doing the spraying. Care at all times. Masking, covering, protecting.

If you don't have any water dispersing spray you could leave the key fob in a warm place such as a sunny window sill; next to the heater; etc. It is best to do this with the key fob fully dismantled. Leave it there for a couple of hours to thoroughly dry.

My 307 remote started playing up a few days ago. It would lock ok but intermittently it would fail to unlock. I pulled it out and thorough checked the circuit board, measured the battery voltage under load and all was OK. I also made sure that the spring contacts which connect the battery to the board were properly tensioned and they made contact solidly when the case was clipped together.

Today both locking and unlocking became unreliable so I pulled it apart again. This time I useda bench power supply to connect 3 volts directly to the board and I could get the remote to lock and unlock the vehicle. I performed this function about 10 times and then suddenly it failed altogether. I noticed that the current limiter on the power supply was also operated and the voltage was reduced to around 1 volt. I checked with a multimeter across the battery connection points on the board and it measured around 25 Ohms - as good as a short circuit as far as the normal battery was concerned. I am surmising that the electronics on the board has finally died and placed a near short circuit across the power supply rails thus rendering the unit completely useless. The only option for me is a new remote control and I am guessing that will cost a pretty penny. Until then I am going to have to lock and unlock the vehicle manually.

I've had an interesting week chasing locksmiths. As usual, some hear 'Peugeot' and immediately say that they can't help. In one way, I want to congratulate them for being such helpful people. Yes, I'm being sarcastic. But it would probably go over their head. Other people promise to ring back but never do. But …

I found one locksmith who spent quite a bit of time with me testing my remote control, having first put it through his ultrasonic cleaner. He says that it has restored many remote controls which have been fully submerged like mine was. He examined the circuit board under a microscope and found no damage. It was quite amazing to watch him! He also tested the battery under load and could find nothing abnormal. He commented that my remote fob doesn't have an LED to indicate that it is functioning. It is something that I had noticed and wondered why. The fob for my 406 does have the LED and I find it useful. At least I know if the battery is functioning and presumably, the remote is transmitting RF signal. He got out one of his RF testers and my remote didn't show any signal. He replaced the battery and tried again, just in case. Again, no signal.

Although he could find no fault, he has concluded that the remote is dead. I need to find an alternative.

We talked about swapping locks with another car but he was doubtful about that working.

He eventually quoted me ~$350.00 for a new key & fob, but not in a Peugeot fob. He first wanted to put it all into a VW fob, but I told him that nothing would work if he did that. :tongue: We left it at that and I would contact him when we were both less busy.

Then on Friday morning, I rang a Peugeot dealer, just out of curiosity, really. I seriously had to ask the service agent twice to go and check the price she quoted me but she was certain and has charged my credit card. $240.00. They have my VIN from the car being there previously and they'll ring me in three weeks when the key arrives having been cut overseas (France?). When they ring, I go and see them, and they spend about 90 minutes programming the key to the car or whatever it is, but the $240.00 I have paid is for everything, key, fob and programming.

Who would have thought that the dealer would be $110.00 cheaper than after-market one?!?!

Cheers,
Andrew

The only option for me is a new remote control and I am guessing that will cost a pretty penny. Until then I am going to have to lock and unlock the vehicle manually.
Hi,
I have no idea what you consider to be a 'pretty penny', but if you have a look at my previous post - in between your post and this one - you'll see what I have been quoted by a dealer on the wrong coast.

I know from experience that dealers do charge different prices for the same part, but you might want to check your local dealer to see what they will charge.

I hope that helps you.

Cheers,
Andrew

Yep.. read that. But I am wondering if it isn't such a complicated matter after all....purchase a replacement 2 button fob key on Ebay and reprogram it as in section 4, p.66 of the Peugeot 307 handbook. Mine is a 2006 307 2.0L HDi hatch.

Here it states that after replacing a battery in an existing key it needs to be reprogrammed. This same situation might apply when a new key is purchased. The new key should be in the same state as the old key when its battery has been disconnected so the reprogramming operation should produce similar results - hopefully. Anyway, I think it is worth a try.

Naturally, to avoid the need to have the new blade cut it is a simple matter to transfer the board in the new key over to the old case/blade.

No the transponder and remote are a matched pair and cannot be learnt to the car without being first coded using a scan tool also be aware that some newer remotes may need the brand changed in the bsi configuration

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

If you don't have any water dispersing spray you could leave the key fob in a warm place such as a sunny window sill; next to the heater; etc. It is best to do this with the key fob fully dismantled. Leave it there for a couple of hours to thoroughly dry.

I have done this with a mobile phone that went through the washing machine:confused:, front loader so not much water, dont know if that made difference. Left it on the sunny study window sill for couple of days and it works fine. :banana:

Hey boys, electrical trick, take all power out, wash in metho leave in sun to dry off, no water left. Then reapply power.

OK.. got that...not so simple after all.

Have you used any of the key programmers eg. OBDSTAR F108 ?

I have a f108 I only use it to get codes it doesn’t work well at all for key coding and not worth the money cheaper to get a Delphi ds150e to code peugeot and Citroen keys

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Hey boys, electrical trick, take all power out, wash in metho leave in sun to dry off, no water left. Then reapply power.
Leave in the sun to dry off? In this area? In winter? I do like the idea, but I'd have to wait for summer to come, or at least spring time!