307 HDi RHR - whirring/grinding on accel and decel

I had similar sounds on my 2007 407 rhr engined car. It turned out to be stuffed driver side upper engine mounts.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Whenever the car accelerates or decelerates the road puts a substantial torque reaction load onto the driving wheels. This is transmitted through the driveshaft-engine-gearbox assembly, and is resisted by the top and bottom engine mounts. They are the first places to look at.

I had similar sounds on my 2007 407 rhr engined car. It turned out to be stuffed driver side upper engine mounts.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Whenever the car accelerates or decelerates the road puts a substantial torque reaction load onto the driving wheels. This is transmitted through the driveshaft-engine-gearbox assembly, and is resisted by the top and bottom engine mounts. They are the first places to look at.

This was mentioned in post #2

Hey guys,

Sorry my phone keeps accidentally pressing delete post.....

Third time's the charm.

Checked all three mounts. Hard to tell the condition of the top two without completely removing them. (edit: i did remove the two top ones, right and left) Right side has I think two cracks around it , although it hasn't completely failed and split. Checking the bottom/rear one, it seems to have split/torn. I'm guessing it allows the metal there to knock?

Is it possible to remove it without removing the driveshaft and driveshaft mount like it says in Haynes?

Will upload pic shortly.

edit: the phone is quite buggy it uploaded one anyway which is the lower/rear engine mount. Looking at replacements for this, it does have gaps in the bushing so perhaps its not as bad as i thought.

Here is the pic of the top right mount; https://imgur.com/a/kCpHdv5

Attachments

• IMG_20200315_142422.jpg
    IMG_20200315_142422.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Would you say that the RHS top mount is the main culprit here? Based on the crack/split seen?

So further checking both lower mounts (one press fit into shaft bearing retainer and the other torque link) they look intact with no cracks or splitting. Couldn't remove the anti torque link for some reason, according to Haynes it should just come out (there isn't enough space between subframe and engine)

I have just seen this from a closer angle, is it possible i pressed on driver shaft support bearing too far? See the linked image. http://imgur.com/gallery/KdcfUre

Cheers

Hey guys, picked up the new RHS mount today. Very obvious my old one was finished comparing the two. Installed it today and took it for a spin. The noise is still there :( not really sure what it could be now considering what I've done so far

Diff???
Lift one wheel of the ground and check the backlash.
Also check for play on the output shafts.

Also check the brakes (odd suggestion, I know)
Make sure all the anti rattle/vibration clips are in place and there is not excessive play in the calliper slides.
They can make some strange noises if not correct.

Hey thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure what exactly I am looking for lol. Am I looking for almost like a failed bearing type of movement?

As in if it shouldn't move when I pull on the wheel? Also is this for a manual or auto. Car is a 2.0L RHR with the AM6

Cheers

Manual and auto is the same. Just put it in park and opposite wheel locked in place (as in, only lift one wheel off the ground).
You should not be able to turn the wheel vary far as it is locked by the transmission. A little movement is expected, but I don't know how much to expect with the AM6, as I don't have much experience with it.
If any bearings have failed, it will allow the gears to move away from each other allowing more movement though the transmission.

Sorry I can't give an idea of how much play to expect.
Hopefully some hear can shed some light on this.

Time to take the car to an expert mate. If you installed all those things correctly you now need the ear of experience. It's probably too far for you from Brissy but Coles in Lismore are extremely good at diagnosis.
Maybe Stuey or Beano could help. Or Lewin at Pugspares [0733534448, 0424063541] has a clever son who works on these cars. No doubt Lewin could also recommend someone else for you.