307 HDi RHR - whirring/grinding on accel and decel

melon

Fellow Frogger
Hey guys,

This sound has annoyed me for a while. It was worse but i found that (alternator stator or bearing) was fried. Its still going on but less noisy. I figured its one of the bearings.

Either the wheel bearing LHS
Drive shaft support bearing
or something in the gearbox (my worse fear). I have flushed it completely around 12L, could do it one more time to see if any residual comes out

I dont think its the CV , when i full turn at a steady pace, there is no clunky noise. There is a loud noise when i accel fast whilst turning, happens when the wheels spin from stationary usually

I took a video, https://vimeo.com/385948701

Any ideas?

Much appreciated

What’s the rh top engine mount look like does sound wheel bearing ish

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Ill have a closer inspection today, but from memory i think its fine. Would a bad engine mount cause this noise?

I jacked the car up this past weekend hoping to find the cause. Doing the wobble test of both wheels, they seemed okay.

The left side had a very small amount of play, only in one direction though. Can a wheel bearing make a loud noise whilst still having minimal, if any play?

Thanks for the quick response!

Wheel bearings usually rumble, and the pitch will change as you load and unload the bearing like going around a left corner and then a right corner.

Is the noise there with the car stationary? if yes you can discount wheel bearings driveshafts etc. You may have idler bearings for the auxiliary belt that are on the way out just like the alternator bearings.

Hey guys,

Nope, noise is only when moving getting louder at higher speed and on deceleration. The alternator replacement fixed the stationary noise lol

Is there any other way to tell if it's a bad wheel bearing?

Also, seeing the method to replace the bearing on these things , it's pretty intense. Would getting a whole new hub assembly ( from wreckers) be a better idea? Or do I run the risk of it also having a bad bearing?

Thanks for the responses.

Few different cars, I was thinking about a 43k or 83k hub assembly. Are the T5 and T6 307 hubs interchangeable?

Mate, it's a wheel bearing. These cars have a crazy weirdass kinda wheelbearing like nothing you've ever seen before. They make a nasty screaming grinding rumbling all blended up together as soon as you get up to speed, even after 40kph and you can chase it but till you rip those stoopid bearings out you won't understand. They are kinda parallel bearings, no idea how they worked out that shit. They abandoned conventional tapered rollers for no good reason. You'll see what I mean when you get the replacements and the instructions. I did these after swapping rear brake shoes and discs. i couldn't believe the noise.
But what surprises me most is the severe lack of understanding here on this board. Sometimes you get brilliant help but lately it's pathetic.
I have put several help scenarios up over the last 6 months but ended up solving them myself and mostly didn't get one sensible response. I reckon this board has devolved. It's not surprising because many people who actually do know get shot down in flames by fuc$wit$ who just enjoy the sounds of their own trumpets. Then those really good people leave and don't bother with this strange egocentric place so all that knowledge gets lost to what would have otherwise been a treasure trove.

No I wouldn't recommend trying to transplant secondhand ones. Bite the bullet and go the whole nine yards. Ours has no issues there now, just seemingly constant new issues, just having fixed the fuel pressure sensor issue after about 4 weeks of the car being stranded.

Have you got yourself a good diagnostic tool? You'll be needing it with this beastie.

What’s the rh top engine mount look like does sound wheel bearing ish

Gave the answer in the first reply but sometimes the engine mounts grind away like this as well but f$&k this place all aussiefrogs phone numbers will now be blocked from my phone and show up at my house unannounced like some cock did last Saturday (you know who you are) and you will get a shifter through you’re window

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Hey dudes,

I quite like these forums and i hope i haven't pissed anyone off. Just wanted to make sure, and to see if there was any further steps I could do to be 100% sure. So your replies are valuable.

Speaking about the bearing, I have been reading and looking at videos and its a horrible process, most of the videos have f$&k and b@r$t@rd uttered a lot haha. Hence, why i thought maybe a whole hub might be easier. *edit* I'll give the whole 9 yards a go and do the full bearing replacement for my LHS

Yeah made sure i got the diagbox setup, made working on these so much easier. I've got the 307 working beautifully now and bought a 508 so wanting to fix this noise and replace my glow plugs (bleh) and move on the 307 :). Quite a nice car, love the torque at the start end up torquing it everywhere.... :D

Last edited:
As I understand it, some (most?) modern cars sell complete hubs with the bearing set up inside, so it is a simple unbolt and replace job at the dealer's place. Apprentices used at $200/hour perhaps....

A friend just had this joy with a Subaru, not particularly high mileage. $700 for the part (rear wheel bearing) and a long wait to even get one to WA. Not ONE in stock. So I'm not about to complain about French cars - in fact our 306 did 250,000 km on original wheel bearings and they were good when we sold it.

Cheers

Gave the answer in the first reply but sometimes the engine mounts grind away like this as well but f$&k this place all aussiefrogs phone numbers will now be blocked from my phone and show up at my house unannounced like some cock did last Saturday (you know who you are) and you will get a shifter through you’re window

Damn, Sorry if I was one of the ones who pissed you off David. I have been very appreciative of your help and you have been incredibly helpful , in fact the only help for many in many cases. Not even sure why you were so helpful. Maybe I wasn't respectful enough a couple of times. I liked the way you would point in a direction without actually filling in the whole picture which has taught me a lot.
I like the way you taught me to use the diagnosis tool and then showed where to look for the diagnosed fault. I will be very sorry if you leave but fully understand that you have been almost singlehandedly keeping a lot of us on the road and it has probably got too much.
So please hear my apology if I have been anything less than fully respectful. I won't bother you on the phone if you've had enough. But hoping you might reconsider.
Regards,
Dan

But what surprises me most is the severe lack of understanding here on this board. Sometimes you get brilliant help but lately it's pathetic.
I have put several help scenarios up over the last 6 months but ended up solving them myself and mostly didn't get one sensible response. I reckon this board has devolved. It's not surprising because many people who actually do know get shot down in flames by fuc$wit$ who just enjoy the sounds of their own trumpets. Then those really good people leave and don't bother with this strange egocentric place so all that knowledge gets lost to what would have otherwise been a treasure trove.

I first joined AF a couple of years after you, soon after we bought a (new) 307. I have always found that, with the honourable exception of dmccurtayne and a few others such as Dimistyle, Addo and David S, the amount of help available for older cars far exceeds that for new. Hardly surprising, since (in theory) not much goes wrong with newer cars, so there's limited opportunity to learn. Of course the people who are comfortable (or even enjoy) repairing cars don't buy new cars!

The problem is that the cars that were 'new' when I joined 14 years ago have not become 'classics'. Early 307s are now 20 years old, but my guess is that there is nothing like the love for them that a 205 or even a 306 can generate.

People like yourself who are trying to keep them on the road are few and far between. Worse, the 1.6 HDi seems to be particularly unreliable. The earlier 2 litre seems relatively bulletproof - my son and an elderly friend both have T5 HDi wagons, and both essentially just get regular service. The son has just bought a C4 Picasso with the RHH 2 litre HDi (2012 model), so I guess I'm going to find out whether the 2 litre engines with DPF are any more reliable than the 1.6...

So strange as it seems given the age of your 307, I think a lot of the problem is because you are one of the pioneers in trouble shooting the wretched things. BTW - we sold the 307 after 3 years/75,000km before anything went wrong - learning opportunity lost :D.

Cheers

Alec

Hey everyone,

Finally was able to jack up the car and leave it while I work on it for a few weeks. Got the two wheel hubs off and pulled the drive shaft out to see all three bearings. I'm leaning towards the wheel bearings being okay as the drive shaft bearing is definitely carkd it. The wheel bearings don't make the same noise as the drive shaft bearings. I'm thinking they are okay. What are your thoughts?

See videos;
https://vimeo.com/392914676
And
https://vimeo.com/392913047

Cheers

The drive shaft bearing and the right hub sound noisy to me.

Since you have it this far apart replace all the bearings and re-assemble it.

So an update, originally ordered one wheel bearing and ordered a drive shaft bearing. Got the wheel bearing in finally, was such an effort without a press. Drive shaft bearing went in nicely. Bolted it all back thinking the LHS bearing was okay. Went for a drive the louder high pitched grindy noise is gone - guessing that was the shaft bearing. But the grindy noise is still there. LHS was a dud. Replacing that now and hopefully all goes well.

Done the LHS, but now I am confused. It is still there, the high pitched whine which I believe was the drive shaft support bearing. But it leaves me very confused and out of options sorta. Any suggestions? Would be greatly appreciated