307 Front Wheel Bearings, how hard are they to do?

Tobugrynbak

Fellow Frogger
G'day All,

Just acquired a 2008 307 Wagon for SWMBO. The only thing is I need to replace the right hand side Front wheel bearing. Now I'm not a novice tinkerer, I've done the same job on a Mk1 Golf.

Is it just a question of undoing the drive shaft nut, dropping the ball joints and removing the circlip and pushing/pressing out the old bearing?

Are there any dramas doing this at home?

It's straightforward if you make some tooling to support the back of the housing while you press it out. I turned down the OD of the old outer, to use as the tool to push the new bearing in.

Easy but make sure you put the bearing in the correct way and don’t damage the abs tone wheel on the bearing esp faults will result

Hi,
a variation on turning down the old bearing to press in the new one: I cut through the outer race of tapered roller bearings, with an angle grinder, then use it to install the new one. Obviously the cut means it can be compressed a bit, and pulled back out. I am sure the same would work on modern front wheel bearing outers.

Also, and apologies if this is saying the bleeding obvious, but do a youtube search for 'peugeot 307 wheel bearing replacement', and you will find a number of videos covering the whole process.

Regards,
Andy

Last edited:
Did this a few years back on my HDi.
As suggested, getting the housing supported to press in/out the bearing is a PITA, (achieved with bolcks of wood mounted on a thick section of ply).

My LARGE arbour press would not do the job????.:cry:

I suggest putting the housing out in the sun and the bearing in the fridge/freezer, (not too cold and definitly do not use CO2).

I ended up mounting the entire assembly in Big Dawn, (the mother of all vices), and screwed her up.:eek:

Be VERY careful with the ABS Tone wheel as advised.

All up a 2-3hour job.