307 battery change

Maxy

Fellow Frogger
I am replacing the battery on my wifes 307. no problem I thought. until I discovered the negative "quick release" terminal clamp was so corroded that it was RS.OK, I'll put in another one I thought. not so easy as the cable is bifurcated and disappears under the fuse box. tried removing the battery box, removed no less than five 13mm bolts and then discovered there was another one holding it from OUTSIDE, UNDER the inner guard lining which involved removing the wheel, loosening the lining enough to get a spanner on it and finally finding the other end of the cable bolted to the body work.Then tried to locate a new one. no luck but learnt that it would cost $215 plus freight. F... that.I now have one on the way from a wrecker. I have run pugs for 40 years,(still love the 404) but sometimes I wonder....WHY overcomplicate what should be a simple time proven piece of design?

Maintaining your own car, what are things coming to. :yawn:

I am replacing the battery on my wifes 307. no problem I thought. until I discovered the negative "quick release" terminal clamp was so corroded that it was RS.OK, I'll put in another one I thought. not so easy as the cable is bifurcated and disappears under the fuse box. tried removing the battery box, removed no less than five 13mm bolts and then discovered there was another one holding it from OUTSIDE, UNDER the inner guard lining which involved removing the wheel, loosening the lining enough to get a spanner on it and finally finding the other end of the cable bolted to the body work.Then tried to locate a new one. no luck but learnt that it would cost $215 plus freight. F... that.I now have one on the way from a wrecker. I have run pugs for 40 years,(still love the 404) but sometimes I wonder....WHY overcomplicate what should be a simple time proven piece of design?

Modern cars are made so that they are easy to assemble in the factory, no thought is put into their maintenance for the DIY people like you and me.

Cut off the existing terminal and solder on a lug.

battery terminal.JPG

I'm with robmac on this repair. There's no need to overcomplicate the fixing of an issue which has little to do with design. To be able to remove a battery without the use of tools is a joy in my books and another novel Peugeot advance. It's probably only the lesser quality cheaper batteries that leak the corrosion causing acid and I guess that is why one can buy cans of stuff to spray onto the terminals as part of maintenance. Hoping y'all have a safe and isolated Happy Easter.

I'm with robmac on this repair. There's no need to overcomplicate the fixing of an issue which has little to do with design. To be able to remove a battery without the use of tools is a joy in my books and another novel Peugeot advance. It's probably only the lesser quality cheaper batteries that leak the corrosion causing acid and I guess that is why one can buy cans of stuff to spray onto the terminals as part of maintenance. Hoping y'all have a safe and isolated Happy Easter.

From Wurth and it sticks like the proverbial :)

terminal grease.JPG