307 2006 2.0 HDI alternator, how to remove?

jimby

Tadpole
G'day good people, newbie here having just bought a 307 (I really wanted a french car), anyway as part of my go over on any freshly bought used car I inspect bearing and usually change the alternator brushes, as in my youth their failure was a bane of my life.
Problem now for me trying to figure out how to unbolt the alternator, the front pair of bolts are simple enough but accessing the rear (whatever may be hidden there) is a real task, I just tried unbolting the fuel filter bracket and couldn't even manage that, so any help would be most appreciated.

The rear “bolts” are just spreading tappers so just loosening the bolts is enough then the alternator slides out.
Don’t know about doing the brushes I would recommend doing the alternator clutch rather than the brushes to keep you busy

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Yes just loosen the rears you will feel it come loose

Gone but not forgotten C5 x7 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Yes just loosen the rears you will feel it come loose

I wish, I wasn't so lucky, however I discovered the nut that undoes the obstructive U bracket and gained access to the rear of the alternator. The top bolt is tapered but had to be removed, the lower one is still a mystery to me but I was able to eventually undo it using a 8 mm allen key, a real chore.

Then I found the alternator was a Bosch unit instead of the Valeo I expected, and appears sealed against cheapskates like myself soldering in new brushes. One brush was quite worn so I ordered a new regulator unit and will fit it when I eventually find the energy again.

At least for this job I was able to craft a special tool using a broken 15 mm spanner I've kept around for many years just incase I ever found a use for it, the ring end had broken and I don't like using open enders if I can help it but it works and makes for an easy job loosening the serpentine belt tensioner.
zm0394.jpg