307 2.0L petrol (DW10) + AL4 Timing Belt Replacement - what else?

dukbilt1

Fellow Frogger
307 2.0L petrol (EW10J4) + AL4 Timing Belt Replacement - what else?

Hello everyone,

it looks like the time has come to change the timing belt, and there's a rattle under the bonnet so I'll take the opportunity to replace a few other things while I'm there. At this point it looks like I need a water pump/belt kit 1609525280 ($230 from Mick's Garage), and a new engine mount as a minimum.

My main question for the forum - has anyone replaced this pump before? What's the job like? Has anyone bought this kit from Mick's garage? Any recommendations on alternative places for parts?

What else do people suggest I do? Change the AL4 fluid? Change the ancillary drive belt and rollers?

EDIT - corrected motor to EW10J4 - thanks for those who pointed out my mistake...

Thanks,

Ewan

ServiceBox NameS_Box IDS_Box Part Number
16/10/12 T5F 0 08A 20A CAMSHAFT BELT CAMSHAFT GEAR8TIMING BELT 153 DTS UP TO O 8987 + 0829 96 (1)0816F4
TIMING BELT PSAE117126
9TIMING TENSION ROLLER + UP TO O 8997 0816 F4082996
11RETRACTOR ROLLER083042
12 (8 + 9 + 11)
DISTRIBUTION MOTOR KIT083188
TIMING KIT PSA - AND AGE >= 30831T4
13 (pump + 12)
COOLANT PUMP + TIMING KIT1609525280
TIMING KIT+COOLANT PUMP - AND AGE >= 31609120680
5/09/18 T5F 5 57A 41A ALTERNATOR AND FIXINGS5RETRACTOR ROLLER DIAM 78-25575160
6ALTERNATOR TENSION ROLLER575161
8BRACKET1628WA
20DRIVE BELT ALTERNATEUR K6 - LE 17105750WP
V BELT PSA POLY V - AND AGE >= 31612162880
22/10/11 T5F 1 18A 20L FIXING POWER UNIT7ENGINE MOUNTING BRACKET RIGHT SUP1839H6
15ENGINE ELASTIC MOUNTING BRACKT LEFT184468

Last edited:
Hi Ewan,

If it's a petrol engine, it'll be an EW10; DW10 is a diesel. (E stands for Essence).

I would change the aux belt as well unless it is known to be good (recently changed). In fact, I have just done the same job on the similar engine in a 206 today. On a 206 it's a bit of a bugger of a job, but I'd expect on a 307 it'd be easier due to the room under the bonnet around the engine. I believe it still involves removing the engine mount on the belt side (on the 206 you have to remove the gearbox mount on the other side too, and move the engine over).

The water pump comes in two parts; a housing which attaches to the block at the back, and the pump which bolts to it. The original is plastic, but seems good quality from what I can tell. I'm not sure of how much room you have on the 307, but on the 206 you have to actually remove the mounting studs for the pump housing using a female torx (size E8) on the end of the stud otherwise it hits the exhaust manifold and you can't get the housing off the block. It sounds dodgy, but is not too bad. The housing plumbs onto a metal pipe at the back of the engine which has an O ring seal on the end - you get the seals with the pump. Otherwise, it's fairly straightforward. However, your exhaust may give room to remove the pump without this palaver. I'm so glad gaskets aren't used any more!

You don't say how many kms it's done or whether there's a service history, so it makes it difficult to advise you about the transmission, but the members here are big on keeping the fluid clean on that box.

I buy my parts from Ken Bailey About Us | Parts Of France but EAI (Google) are good too. Ken's just a nice bloke, knows French cars inside out and he's just started another parts business so I like to give him my sales. I've been dealing with him now for over 25 years and loads of other froggers do too. Extremely trustworthy and accommodating. Many parts are in Sasic packaging but are well known brands such as Dayco, Gates, Hutchison and the like.

Cheers

Stuey

Last edited:
Support the local where you can. It can be less expensive due to the high cost of postage from O/S at a retail level for anything approaching slightly heavy. MicksGarage is fine to deal with - either directly or via their eBay store. Make a list of things you need and bundle them for free postage once you exceed A$500. Some of the items are a little expensive, but always well packed with clear tracking and sent quite quickly via DHL, which is kinder on the package than the regular postal system. Do you also need brakes, drop links, ball joints etc.. too? That might be an opportunity for some of the heavier items that normally cost a bomb in postage by themselves.

Check for discount codes on their website and I would expect there might be one coming up for Anzac Day or Easter. Probably no GST via their website, but obviously eBay does collect it now.

The plastic water pumps often failed prematurely on that engine, so it's a good idea to change it with the timing kit.

There is plenty on this forum about the AL4 in both Pug and Citroen models and there are a few guides to changing the oil. The only complication is the procedure to set the level via a weir that fits in the middle of the drain plug. You will need 4 litres per change.