307 1.6HSI diesel 5 speed gearbox issue

Choose Steak

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hi,

I bought a 1.6 HSI diesel 5 speed and I'm having problems with the gearbox.

When I change it into 5th, it somewhat gets stuck and I can't get it out of 5th gear easily. It doesn't seem to have a prevention lock either for getting it into reverse while it is moving forward (not sure if that is a thing on this gearbox).

Sometimes, it is quite difficult and the only way to get it out is too move the gear stick as close to reverse as possible which is a bit dicey and gives a little grind.

It seems like it has a really long throw and feels a little too long if I was guess although, I'm coming from another different car with a very short throw gearbox and I might be thinking about it too much.

The 5 speed box change throw is long. Peugeot adopted a short throw lever in the 6 speed box used later in sport-oriented models.

There may be a mechanical problem here, but am I right in thinking it is a new acquisition? I remember one of my cars being difficult to get into 1st when cold. An oil change to the correct level fixed it.

For your info, here is the power and torque information for your engine..

Attachments

• 6_fr-fr_fiche_publique.pdf
    238.4 KB · Views: 59
For your info, here is the power and torque information for your engine..

Awesome, that is very helpful. I'm not sure why I didn't think of changing the oil. Any recommendation on oil? How much would it be and ideas of where to get it in Sydney?

I had a 1.6 HDi 307 from new, and mine did it occasionally - maybe once every 6 months? I took it back under warranty but they said "yes, the 5 speeds do that - not a fault." Generally it happened when changing from 5th to 4th - it would snag on the move across and catch the reverse gear slightly, I'd just push it back to 5th, then try again and it would be OK. It never got any worse over 250000 km.

I did wonder if the cables were out of whack, but it didn't happen often enough to make me pursue it further.

That reminds me... the dealer, who had an excellent reputation, also told me another porkie - I went back after its first service as the handbrake lever was coming up way too far. They said it was my fault, I must have been yanking the lever too hard! I asked if they could just adjust it, they said there was no adjustment on a 307, cable was stretched and would have to be replaced at my expense. I went home and checked online - ashtray at the back of the console comes out easily, revealing normal locknut adjustment just like any other car. I adjusted it myself and all was well.

It does have an interlock to prevent it getting into reverse from 5th, but in my car, when it snagged coming out of 5th, it sounded like it was snicking slightly into reverse - that awful noise. So the interlock wasn't 100% right.

Awesome, that is very helpful. I'm not sure why I didn't think of changing the oil. Any recommendation on oil? How much would it be and ideas of where to get it in Sydney?
Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but for most PSA (Peugeot/Citroen - pre-Stellantis) gearboxes Castrol VMX-80 is a good choice. I am pretty sure it'll only take a couple of litres. Also a good idea to squeeze a tube of Nulon G70 (teflon additive) in with the new oil.

My GTi180 does the sticky from 5th back to 4th (did it today). My wife's old Mi16 did the same thing (same box I think?) Her 307 6 speed never did it.