306GTI-6 Servicing Costs

korgi

Fellow Frogger
Hi

I'm looking for a 306gti-6.

I'm going to inspect a 2000 model with about 72K this weekend.

I assume that its due for a major service and cambelt change soon. How much can I expect to pay for this?

Cheers

Korgi

Info about the service costs and service intervals for you Peugeot are available from the Peugeot Aust website at this link.

Servicing

The cambelts are supposed to be changed every 80k or 4 years according to Peugeot.

Troy.

TroyO said:
The cambelts are supposed to be changed every 80k or 4 years according to Peugeot.

Troy.

and yet my fathers car didn't have a belt change till it was 7 years old as the dealer said age didn't matter only mileage

i'm one for time and or mileage whichever comes first

Thanks for your replies.

The Peugeot website actually looks have decent and useful.

I guess I'll budget about $1K for the major service/cam belt change.

Cheers

korgi said:
Thanks for your replies.

The Peugeot website actually looks have decent and useful.

I guess I'll budget about $1K for the major service/cam belt change.

Cheers

Yeah thats sounds about right. Major service & cam-belt change would roughly be $500 each.

Ps: just on the time/mileage debate - a mates gti6 with only 67,000km blew its cam belt - it was about 5.5yrs old. Personally i wouldn't risk it cause you would not be covered by warranty either if its not changed during the recommended time interval.

QUOTE:[Ps: just on the time/mileage debate - a mates gti6 with only 67,000km blew its cam belt - it was about 5.5yrs old. Personally i wouldn't risk it cause you would not be covered by warranty either if its not changed during the recommended time interval.]

My Pug service manager said 3 Melb based Gti6's had broken their cam belts prior to the 80k recommended renewal.

He said they tend to snap when the motor returns to idle. :cry:

The factory have tended to ignore the problem with no early replacement recommendations made to the dealers.

Jeff

The cam belt on mine frayed (not broke, thankfully) at 58k. Could hear a "slapslapslap" as the frays hit the belt cover :eek:

It's a commonly known issue that the GTi6 engine is hard on its timing belt (for whatever reason) and a safer replacement interval is 60kkm. There was a note on this at the European Auto Spares web site, whose address I've since forgotten..

the XU10J4RS engine is very unkind to the timing balt at idle as there appears to be a lot of tension due to the camshafts at idle

they are happy when running and good runs do them good but as a word of warning do not let your XU10J4RS engine idle for any period of time if it can be avoided

this info comes straight from a reliable source and is no bull so please be careful with these engines

they are designed for driving and not idling in traffic or the driveway

You may consider replacing the water pump at the same time, because if the water pump on the 306 is in the same place as the water pump on a 405 or 406, it will be easier to get at when the engine is lifted to get at the cam belt. If the water pump fails, you will have to pay the labour costs again - usually 3-4 hours.

dbc said:
You may consider replacing the water pump at the same time, because if the water pump on the 306 is in the same place as the water pump on a 405 or 406, it will be easier to get at when the engine is lifted to get at the cam belt. If the water pump fails, you will have to pay the labour costs again - usually 3-4 hours.

depends on how many km's the car has travelled and if the pump is either weeping or suspect
the water pumps will generally last to the 2nd belt change without any dramas on the 306's

also the engine doesn't need to be lifted to do a belt change and they actually have a bit of room once you are in there to get to everything

the water pump even if it started leaking 60-70k km's down the road then it's not a big problem as the car is getting close to another timing belt anyway

i have it on good authority that the pumps needn't be changed at every belt change

dbc said:

Yep this is very true - you don't wanna be paying for labour for nothin'. I think as a general rule you should change the timing belt within the recommended time frame which is 4 yrs - at least if it break before then you will be covered by warranty (if you have warranty that is). ;)