306 Xsi Oxygen Sensor and travel

silverd

Tadpole
Hey all,
Have been having a few problems with my pug over the last month or so - most notably pulsating while idling, and some surging / bucking while accelerating. Recently stalled while going up a steep carpark, and has had a few stalls while in traffic too. Had it serviced, and they said it was the idle control valve which needed replacing, I had this done in Adelaide but I'm still having difficulties with driving rough and stalling. The mechanic (Lion Auto Blair Athol) has said that the O2 sensor needs replacing. My only problem is that I need to drive to Melbourne (I'm from Melbourne, and have been living in Adelaide for uni) on Tuesday, and the repair wouldn't be able to be done until Thursday.
Would the car be OK to drive the ~800km or so from Adelaide to Melbourne with a faulty O2 sensor? When back in Melbourne, I can get it replaced no problem, just unsure about the long drive.

Having just driven with one from Melb to Bris with a faulty O2 sensor, it only got better the longer it ran, the hotter and longer duration made it a lot better, get on fleabay and organise a replacement.

Well that's slightly relieving. Just took it for a ~60km hour long drive and it definitely felt better on the freeway on the way home.
How much did the O2 sensor cost you, just out of curiosity?

It was just the sensor plus the kit to cut original and join, its necessary to do it this way to stop issues of dissimilar metals and junctions giving off minute voltage offsets. Obtained from a bosch web site in Oz Under $100 if memory serves me

On the matter of 02 sensors, I'm still driving the Mi16 with the original sensor and it has done 250,000 Km!It still seems as if it has got enough "pull" but there was a time - once - when all the lights (including the STOP light) showed on the dash and the motor seemed to stop - but that was only very briefly and it hasn't happened since. It seems to have good economy and I drive it mostly around town and occasionally on the highway. My son doesn't think it is as fast as when he drove it (it was his car). I wonder whether I should replace the 02 sensor? What does everyone think?
Thanks John505

I’d replace it - I reckon you’ll realise what you’ve been missing if you do :)

My 306 was on its original and it transformed the overall responsiveness in stop/city driving.

Buy the correct replacement part as it’s plug’n play (no soldering leads to the old cable/connector).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, find the 4 wire replacement and be done with it, I am elec eng and a cheap bastard so the add on was tedious but worked a treat, now the starter solenoid is tired!

John, just make sure if you are buying a specific sensor instead of the universal version that you specify the engine model... in fact Bosch specify two different universal models.

Check out Part Finder : NGK Spark Plugs Australia | Iridium Spark Plugs | Glow Plugs | Oxygen Sensors | Ignition Leads | Ignition Coils

Bosch similarly have around four different sensors dependent on the engine.

Bosch 306 Lambda.jpg

Last edited:
I’d replace it - I reckon you’ll realise what you’ve been missing if you do :)

My 306 was on its original and it transformed the overall responsiveness in stop/city driving.

Buy the correct replacement part as it’s plug’n play (no soldering leads to the old cable/connector).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^ what he said
daughters 306 2001 2.0l Rallye also transformed fuel economy - she knew because she could tell the economy was dropping - I think it improved in city driving around 100km per tank and throttle responsiveness was also improved.

Just do it - google says replace at 10 yrs or 100,000kms - was 15yrs old and had done 130,000kms - difference was palpable