306 XSi Head Thickness

Capri-corn

Tadpole
Hi all

just joined this fantastic forum after lurking for many years.

I have a 95 306 XSi for 4+ years and it's head gasket went. I made the call to do the work as here in NZ they aren't worth anything not going , and I do enjoy this little car. Heart over head decision... $$

So friend mechanic has done all the work but outsourced the head skim. On reassembly it appears that things are touching inside...

I understand a thicker head gasket is usually used in cases like this - To help determine how much was skimmed off the head does anyone know what the original thickness of this model head shoudl be, or if there is a reliable resource online?

According to wikipedia my engine is XU10 J2C/L / RFX https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSA_XU_engine

Thanks in advance

Pat

On an XSi you have the timing dowel hole on the rubber mounted outer ring of the harmonic balancer. If this has slipped it could be the reason the engine is locking up as it won't be timed correctly.

Correct, in my experience I've had to replace the timing pully on every motor I've done a timing belt on. This will be the problem for sure I think. Also reminding people that this is an 8 valve engine.

Thanks guys - This is a little puzzling to us as the front pulley on mine is solid and has no rubber drive?

The car is ex Japan but I wouldn't imagine there'd be any specification difference?

just found this discussion: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/103365-alternative-306-rubber-metal-crank-pulley.html

So it looks like some have run / chosen to run solid pulleys..

So I guess if it isn't a timing issue it could still be a head gasket thickness issue. Something to investigate so thanks again!!

Head off and we've found two tappet 'cups' seized in the head. This resulted in a couple of bent valves...

ElqY4I9l.jpg

It is like no oil was getting to this area? Looking at the original oil bar, it's not blocked, but there are little dimples like there should be more feeder holes..?

gaIg4PUl.jpg

hard to say but the car has done 135,000kms with this oil bar so nothing in theory has changed...?

Has anyone had issues with Oil feeds or made modification in this area?

cheers