306 xsi cv joint

KiwiStyles

Fellow Frogger
I'm located in New Zealand and after a CV joint for my peugeot 306 xsi (1998) and have been given this for my quote from peugeot here in Dunedin :
""CV Joint for your Peugeot 306. Peugeot only supply these as the Complete Axle Assembly @ $1175 + GST each.""
Just wondering if anyone knows of any about for cheaper in good condition perhaps not as the whole assembly -.- otherwise I'll look into recon however that'll put my car out for longer :roflmao: It's not urgent as it ain't blowing apart any time soon however do want to get it sorted in good time.

My goodness. Those CV joints are a dime a dozen. They were also fitted to S2 405's. ie with ABS ring. Go hunting for a good 2nd hand unit. They last forever if looked after and are far superior to aftermarket versions.

Yeah thinking after looking around a wee bit and at prices I'll go for a recondition, although good to keep all bases open till I come to actually doing it. Had my mechanic doing it and he was confident he had the right parts ordered over phone (I was very much not confident) all due to that damn ABS ring (next time he might go off suggestion to make sure he is 100% going for the right model first, damn puggets:jiggy:)
Glad he got to do the swearing part instead of me this time :roflmao: He did say reconditioning is just as good if not better here as the firm that does them in Christchurch he uses has never had any go wrong and similar to you that they should last forever so long as they're reasonably looked after. It doesn't sound like a honda bring driven into the ground yet so I think i have a bit of time to sort it out haha.

Some one is dreaming ..or got their heads in the sky.Surely you should be able to locate one for around one tenth of that price.
I have had a few done for different cars over the last 40 years..only problem was with were the two that were rebuilt for my sons Mi 16...wrong boots highly likely there would be a driveshaft guy not too far away..

Also unrelated but my screen which displays the time and temp under my air con and dials appears to have gone dark (I believe it's still going just lacking the lighting) what would be the common faults here before I go blindly taking things out and prodding them with a big stick.

Some one is dreaming ..or got their heads in the sky.Surely you should be able to locate one for around one tenth of that price.
I have had a few done for different cars over the last 40 years..only problem was with were the two that were rebuilt for my sons Mi 16...wrong boots highly likely there would be a driveshaft guy not too far away..
I believe the prices is due to it being the whole assembly from new imported from France. I figured myself there would be something around the $150-$300 mark however unless someone knows whoever is hoarding them they appear to be a pain in the ass to find here. I could probably reasonably easily find some from a wreckers however it'd be out of town and pretty hard to get info whether they're actually any good or not due to the nature of some of these guys.

Temp and clock light

Easy enough to remove the unit, pull the back off and there's a couple of tiny bulbs in holders. I replaced mine on an xsi for about 90c ... Any old auto parts store should keep the bulbs. I think 2 torx screws hold the unit in place

Easy enough to remove the unit, pull the back off and there's a couple of tiny bulbs in holders. I replaced mine on an xsi for about 90c ... Any old auto parts store should keep the bulbs. I think 2 torx screws hold the unit in place
Much appreciated, atleast gives me an idea what's behind there now before I give it the ol Kiwi try.

Last edited:
I can send you a perfectly good used shaft or CV for $20 plus postage.

Also added note, Anyone know any decent threads around on replacing the front passengers window motor? (preferably a guide for dummies)

Be careful with this one. It might be the motor, but it may also be the wires in the door connector. They have a nasty habit of work hardening and breaking. It could also be the switch. Find a good wiring diagram and do your homework first.

Could be a very good option, I'll probably still get mind refurbished at some point.
If you have a rough idea what postage is to New Zealand, Dunedin I'm keen feel free to PM and i'll get in touch :)

@Peter
Doesn't appear to be the switch and as far as I can tell the door wiring is still in good condition. Passengers don't need fresh air anyway?

The ones I was thinking of (thick, hollow shafts from late 306 1.8) turned out to be non ABS. I have S2 Mi16 with ABS, do these CV joints fit the later hollow driveshafts as fitted to the 306?

3 types of shafts in this length, S1 Mi16, S2 Mi16 (smooth surface on shaft and very slightly thicker than S1, different splines from CV joint to shaft) 306, hollow and a lot thicker, same splines from shaft to CV as S2 Mi16?

I'll have to try find out. I know we had the issue of ordering driveshafts with the same splines but non abs which just wouldn't work. If anyone here has an idea that'd be super helpful, otherwise I'll try find out.

Check it out, the S3 and 306 have the same CV on the end, at least they fit the same hub not sure of the actual CV cage and its balls but the other side is the same.