306 XSi Crankshaft pulley/balancer

Webby

Tadpole
306, 2 litre 16 valve, auto.

Once I'd got the bolt off with the mother-of-all-rattleguns, it looked easy. Until I couldn't find the Woodruff key that locates the pulley/balancer.

My Haynes manual mentions either a key or roll pin as a locator.mDidn't see or hear anything hit the floor, there's nothing in the old pulley, though there is a witness mark part way along the groove in the old pulley.
More disturbing is that I can't see any key locating the bottom cam sprocket! That can't be good. There's the slot in the crankshaft, a slot in the sprocket, and they're aligned perfectly.

So:1. Does the pulley need a key? Any key that was there didn't engage in the pulley very far.What stops the bottom cam sprocket dancing all over the place and feeding valves into pistons?I'm wondering if the key was left out on the last cambelt change and it's been a ticking timebomb!

My apologies for the duplicate posts. For whatever reason I got a page that said couldn't post. I've deleted the other three.
Sorry, and thanks once more.

Yes, it needs a key. And if fact, I'm sure that model has two keys, one for the cam belt pulley and one for the harmonic balancer. The other issue is that 100% of the time, the outer part of the harmonic balancer rotates over time, meaning you can no longer use it to time the engine.

Yes, you need to buy a new balancer every time. S1 Mi16 balancers don't have this problem, timing hole is on the inner section.

Changed 2 balancers on 16v XSi's. Can't remember key in balancer.

Timing Belt sprocket has one.

Crankshaft assembly drawings on-line only show 1 key. Is this shared with oil pump drive?

Both balancers crapped themselves at around 110,00km.

If there wasn't a key in the harmonic balancer, you'd be able to install it an anyone of 360+ different locations, which would effect the cam timing 360+ times different ways.

Come on Peter, its an Infinite number of ways. Creativity would abound

Conflicted!

The balancer's position isn't going to affect cam timing, since that is done by the cam belt sprocket which is (hopefully!) keyed to the crankshaft. A balancer in the wrong position is going to affect ign timing- if the timing marks are on the balancer.
I'm getting conflicting reports about the yes or no to the key. I'm half tempted to refit it as it was, with the new balancer. It was OK, the balancer was the only issue.

Thanks again for all replies. It's much appreciated.

No offence was meant and you are right and if you want to be sure the crank pulley is OK, set cam pins and see if the hole lines up. Mine did which gave me confidence when changing / replacing the head and gasket. Go for it. .

The balancer's position isn't going to affect cam timing, since that is done by the cam belt sprocket which is (hopefully!) keyed to the crankshaft. A balancer in the wrong position is going to affect ign timing- if the timing marks are on the balancer.
I'm getting conflicting reports about the yes or no to the key. I'm half tempted to refit it as it was, with the new balancer. It was OK, the balancer was the only issue.

Thanks again for all replies. It's much appreciated.

You need to set the cam timing by placing a rod through the hole in the pulley on the outer part. If this slips then the hole is in the wrong spot. Ignition timing is set by the crank angle sensor, reading the 60-2 teeth on the flywheel.
Yes, infinite number of positions without key, not 360.

If there wasn't a key in the harmonic balancer, you'd be able to install it an anyone of 360+ different locations, which would effect the cam timing 360+ times different ways.

You are 99% correct Peter! The keys must have remained in the crank when I changed the balancers. Like I said I cant remember key in balancers (Then again I can't remember any bloody thing these days!)

Just say you were to flip the balancer around and fit it inside out without a key, does this mean that you'd be able to install it in anyone of 720+ (Infinite) different locations? :wink2:

I also think you can fit the cam belt correctly without the balancer on. You can align the crank key way at the 9:00 O'clock position with keyway centerline on the same centerline as the line that intersects the 2 horizontally placed set screws either side (Cam wheels pinned). Peugeot logic instruct to never trust the balancer hole to set timing. (I did though as both balancers were new).:blackeye:

Last edited:
I did say 360+ Graham, not 360. I was trying to think of a better word, like infinite, but as I have failing brain like BIGRR, it wouldn't connect.

I'm not touching the sprocket on the crank that drives the cam belt. It's still undisturbed on the crankshaft. All I'm doing is the crankshaft pulley/ balancer. That's why I made the comment.
Moving the sprocket will of course affect cam timing. Moving the pulley/balancer won't alter cam timing. It would alter ign timing if the timing is set from the pulley.

Unless the cam drive sprocket relies on the pulley/balance to locate it. Which wouldn't have worked in my case, since there was no key in the pulley/balancer.

Last edited: