306 Windscreen

pugrambo

Going slightly mad
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
has anyone had any prices on windscreens for their 306's lately ?
they seemed to have jumped $300+ in price out here in the last couple of years
is this the same elsewhere ?

Including or excluding the rain sensor?

Apparently, you can get the athermic ones from Peugeot...if yours didn't came with it one.

I have heard mixed reports that the rain sensor is part of the windscreen and others said you can 'unclip' the rain sensor to put on the new windscreen.

Cheers
Billy

Still to do with the windscreen. Has anyone experienced particularly noisy wiper blades. When I first got my 306 they were really noisy. After a few months I had them replaced, but they soon wore out again. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I'd be interested to know as I'm about due for a new windscreen. And if you can say where you got the windscreen (good and bad points for windscreen places as well) that would be great. I use Rain X on my windscreen so I don't use the wipers as much... unless I haven't washed the car and it needs another coat. I replace the wiper blades every 10,000 km's anyways.

Rich

Dr. 306 said:
Still to do with the windscreen. Has anyone experienced particularly noisy wiper blades. When I first got my 306 they were really noisy. After a few months I had them replaced, but they soon wore out again. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Yep noisy wipers seem to be accentuated on the 306. Must be some weird harmonic setup with the way it is mount......or it could be Xfiles stuff (cue scary music)

I've found the Peugeot genuine wipers are the best, although they are expensive.

I tried a few differnt replacements Ie: silcone, graphite coated dual blades, red ones, blue ones, then i just fitted the cheap $2.98 from BigW refills and guess what...no more noise, although these did have a graphite coating aswell

macquered said:
Including or excluding the rain sensor?

well the sensor just glues onto the screen from inside the car
now the thing is you can get screens for the 306 that don't have the black section in them for the sensor which is what i think you mean
now o'briens are wanting $570 for them now
another place i rang are after $328
and another cash deal can be had for $290-300
the thing about the last 2 is that they seemed to ask if i wanted the rain sensor
i said to both that it is not part of the screen and it is glued on afterwards just like the mirror of which it is part of
oh ok they said
well there are the prices i have had
anyone else ?

BW205 said:
Apparently, you can get the athermic ones from Peugeot...if yours didn't came with it one.

I have heard mixed reports that the rain sensor is part of the windscreen and others said you can 'unclip' the rain sensor to put on the new windscreen.

Cheers
Billy

all the athermic ones are is like a tint put in the screen while they are bieng laminated
nothing special or costing but they i would say be charging like wounded bulls for them
the sensor is not integral with the screen
the sensor and mirror are one piece and glue onto the screen after fitting as per normal internal mirrors

the black section around the sensor pickup is my concern at the moment (windscreen people call it ceramic)
does a sensor still work without the ceramic ?
the sensor works on break of light to trigger the wipers once they are activated

Try Morans in Brisbane for screen packaging is $50 for up to 3
apparently the stock all Pug sceens from 203 on
Good luck, let us now how you go
Colin

I received 2 fines from citylink in Melbourne for not having an E Tag but i had it in the car both times.The problem was resolved with the fines being dropped,as i was told by a citylink official that my car (2000 306) had a Metallic wind screen !!! and that the signal wasnt registering. I have never heard of this before,but i guess it may have something to do with the rain sensing wipers.And that may be why the high price ?

Slvr205GTi said:
I received 2 fines from citylink in Melbourne for not having an E Tag but i had it in the car both times.The problem was resolved with the fines being dropped,as i was told by a citylink official that my car (2000 306) had a Metallic wind screen !!! and that the signal wasnt registering. I have never heard of this before,but i guess it may have something to do with the rain sensing wipers.And that may be why the high price ?

it is the athermic windscreen that is doing its job reflecting 'harmful' radiation that is why the Etag not registering becuase the signal sent from the tower above got reflected by the windscreen.

Search the forum for positions that you can place the Etag when you have a athermic windscreen. OR alternatively ring up the ETag ppl and ask where you can put it ..so the responsibility is off you.

Cheers
Billy

Hi Billy
citylink have a system in place to deal with this problem. They have noted my rego on their computer and linked it being from a car with that type of screen,and no fine will be issued only the normal charge.
regards Ron

Slvr205GTi said:
but i guess it may have something to do with the rain sensing wipers.And that may be why the high price ?

i was told that they have to source the screens from the dealer hence the price
as for the athermic it costs no more to put the tinted "protector" in the glass than it does the normal one so i'd be interested if the athermic ones are expensive

but i can't justify a difference between $300 and $570 from two places
so the story of genuine screen is out the window (pardon the pun)

the rain sensor is not part of the screen nor is it recessed into it
the difference lies with the ceramic (black) that goes around where it is mounted

now does it need it
i was told the only reason it is there is to hide the sensor cover so it isn't seen from outside the car

does this make sense ?

Slvr205GTi said:

Never heard of that before! Our 2000 Gti6 never had that problem. You should have a non reflective part of the windscreen...up next to the rain sensor there is a black dotted section, fit the e-tag there and you should be right.

Ian, re: noisy blades, make sure your windscreen is clean. Try and a variety of cleaners, I use Shell and Meguiars as a nice combination.

Why are you guys replacing windscreens anyway? Do you know you can clean a windscreen just like a paint panel and it'll come up quite well?

Here's an article which should help http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=5

GTI124 said:
Why are you guys replacing windscreens anyway? Do you know you can clean a windscreen just like a paint panel and it'll come up quite well?

i can't clean two cracks out of mine :D:D
the first crack was fine but the new one is not good and they are too much to get repaired
i hate wank tanks and their rock throwing abilities they have and they always seem to hit the screen as i tend to sit back from them so the rocks' voyage through the air at ~100km/h is enough to hit the screen

That'd do it! I just thought some of you were changing screens because of dints or something!

ok then
i got the new screen put in the car today
it's like there isn't a screen there now, it's so clear

anyway it was $300 fitted and it has the ceramic around the wiper sensor
it was $270 cheaper than o'briens who said the only way you can get a screen for the newer pugs is through the dealers as no one else makes them :confused:

just thought i'd let you guys know in case any of you are needing a screen for your pug

the moral of the story
don't get ripped off with the story that it has to be genuine