306 Timeline FAQ

I think a similar list for other models would be nice too.

So noobies like me can understand what car they are actually looking at, and where the car stands, in regards to level of equipement or cost, etc.

I for one, do not know if the 405 GTi is better then the Mi16. Or if a 93 model 405 I am looking at has the (according to these forums) dreaded BE1 tranny or the better BE3. How can I tell???

pips

306 info

First post so be kind to me. Just sold my 405 SRDT and i am looking for a 306 cabriolat for my wife. She's going through mid life crisis. I want to know what to look out for in the 306 cab. Similar to the timing belt and A/C issues in the 405.
Anybody got a spare 15 minutes to fill me in? :confused:

Dose anyone know how many GTI6's were imported into Australia? I have been told between 300 and 350. Would be interesting to know

Pug 306 Cab Mods

Hi All,
Im new to this forum.
Just wondering if youc oudl help me out.
I recently got a Peugeot 306 cabriolet and i want to "mod it up".
Do you guys know any dealers in Sydney or even in Australia?
It seems that 306 cabriolet's are never mentioned anymore! :cry:
Do you know whY??

Andrew D

doomer said:
Hi All,
Im new to this forum.
Just wondering if youc oudl help me out.
I recently got a Peugeot 306 cabriolet and i want to "mod it up".
Do you guys know any dealers in Sydney or even in Australia?
It seems that 306 cabriolet's are never mentioned anymore! :cry:
Do you know whY??

Andrew D

it might be worth starting another thread for this you may get a lot more responses, this thread is more of a timeline then anything else, and your post may well go unanswerd.

macquered said:
Hi all,

I've been meaning to do this for a while. The introduction of the 306 in Australia can be confusing for someone who is interested in buying one. I decided to start this because I seem to remember silly little details about the sporadic changes Peugeot had made to the 306 in the 8 years it was here.

It is most definately a work-in-progress, and I wish to build on it in future, possibly with photos. Please feel free to suggest additions, changes, or feedback in general.

Timeline of 306 introduction

April 1994 - Peugeot 306 launched in Aus

306 XR 1.8 (manual only)
306 XT 1.8

June 1994

306 S16 released

October 1994

306 Cabriolet 1.8 released

November 1995

306 XSi 2.0 release (8valve)
306 ST release (Sedan with 2.0)

April 1996

306 XTdt release (Turbo Diesel XT)

December 1996

306 ST 1.8 8v (77kw) released. 2.0 8v (92kw) motor dropped

January 1997

306 Cabriolet upgraded to 2.0 8v motor

July 1997

N5 306 Introduced.
Changes and facelift across whole range.
New nose and tail-lights.
Revised dashboard.

306 Style introduced to replace N3 XR. 1.8 16v replaces 1.8 8v (except for auto)
306 XT upgraded to 1.8 16v (except for auto)
306 XR replaces ST. 1.8 16v replaces 1.8 8v (except for auto)
306 XSi upgraded to 2.0 16v motor (auto included)
306 Cabriolet upgraded to 2.0 16v motor (auto included)
306 GTi6 introduced (note, there were no N3 GTi6's officially imported)
306 XTdt dropped

No changes made

January 1999

2 millionth Peugeot 306 assembled arrives in Australia (Red Cabrio)

February 1999

306 XRdt released. (Turbo diesel version of XR sedan)

August 1999

N5 update introduced.
Minor facelift across range incorporating following changes;

• <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Clear headlight lense + indicators (H7 bulbs)
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> New tail lights for sedan (chrome strip)
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Larger Peugeot badge on rear
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> All cars now have GTi6 front bumper and skirts
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Door mirrors and protection strips are now painted (except for Cabrio)
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Dashboard gains metallic highlights. Gearlever + handbrake button now silver painted.
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Revised graphics on guages. White needles.
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Remote locking key changes to ultra-sonic, increasing range and reliability.
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Rear window wiper gains smooth look. Hatch window loses weather strips.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">306 Style upgraded to 5 door body. 3 door dropped.
306 XT upgraded to 2.0 16v motor (including auto)
306 XR badge changed to XT. Receives same 2.0 16v motor (including auto)
306 XRdt badge changed back to XTdt (again)
March 2000

306 HDi introduced (sedan only). 306 XRdt dropped.

September 2000

306 XT upgraded. Added 15" rims and ABS
306 XT Sedan manual dropped around this time.
306 XSi Auto dropped.
306 XSi + GTi6 gain side airbags.

April 2001

306 Rallye introduced. Basically an XT with a sticker.

October 2001

306 Cabrio Limited. Body coloured hardtop standard.

By April 2001, 11,700 Peugeot 306's had been sold in Australia.

<small>[ 18 July 2003, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: macquered ]</small>

Dont know what to make of this but my GTI6 is a october 1999 model and it has side airbags, anythoughts???

James G said:
Dont know what to make of this but my GTI6 is a october 1999 model and it has side airbags, anythoughts???

Woops, an error in my research! Side airbags were indeed standard from the N5 update onwards in the GTi6. That update was around Aug 99.

In Europe the 306 Rallye was a stripped version of the 306 GTi-6. It had the same engine & 6 speed gearbox, but not the leather interior.

Michel 106GTi said:

In Europe the 306 Rallye was a stripped version of the 306 GTi-6. It had the same engine & 6 speed gearbox, but not the leather interior.
Micheal
Unfortunately we didn't get those type of "rallye" 306's/206's/106's etc. We litterally got a sticker added. It was a marketing campain to capatelise on the fact that peugeot was succesfully competing in the WRC. Mechanicaly and performance the cars were identicall. We do KNOW of your reall ralley (spell?) and what they were, but they were not sold on our showroom floor.
Pugs/306's are still considered the alternative car, were as Jap cars and local cars are more mainstream. HENCE, maquered took the time and effort to construct this thread to give people and idea on the introduction and evolution of the 306 in Australia. Pugs are still abit of a mistery to alot of people in Aus, but thats slowly changing mostly because of the efforts that people such as maquered and other members of this board.

Some of us took to stripping our 306's ourselves to try and create our own version of a real 'rallye' 306... :D
I would love a fully stripped Gti-6, with plexiglass panels, no a/c, no power anything, no rear seats or any leather, no sunroof etc... In other words you lucky buggers!! - Chris

Can anyone identify what model this is? or even know the car?

Attachments

• 306.jpg
    306.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,477
That looks like an N3 XR. It would have an 8 valve 1.8 litre motor. Is that what you wanted to know?

I can tell it was an N3 by the design of the front end, and the only models available in a 3-door shell were the XR and the S16. It's definately not an S16 :)

The 1.8 8valve was the only motor available in the N3 XR.

heres an article i stumbled on, that some of you may find informative:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=csrowon><TD class=cstext width="100%" colSpan=2>Introduction

Following the N3 1994 introduction to our market, a second generation N5 Peugeot 306 models have been released. All but the convertible body are built in the Ryton plant in Coventry, England. The Cabrio begins its life with the Pininfarina company who assemble and paint the body, fit the hood and ship the package to Peugeot's Poissy plant, near Paris. It is here that the final drive train and trim components are added. With this upgrade, two models have been renamed and one introduced to the range. The Style name is now used for the entry model, previously called the XR three door hatch. The new XR sedan was previously the SR and the GTI 6 is introduced as the sports version in the range. As part of this model revamp, interior and exterior changes have taken place and specifications added to all models. A driver's airbag is standard on all models, the GTI 6 also has a passenger's bag. Impact absorbing bumpers have been introduced which has increased the overall length by 40mm for the hatch and by 30mm for the sedan. Structural integrity has been improved with an increase in bending and torsional rigidity. All major panels have been increased in thickness from 0.7 to 0.8mm. The major portion of the 306 body is galvanised as an anti corrosion measure. All Peugeot models are covered against perforation corrosion for six years. The greatest visual impact is that of the revised 306s front panels. The bumpers are larger and made to be impact absorbing. The lower airdam opening is both deeper and wider. The grille opening is a single slot opening with a large and revised corporate badge displayed in the middle. The headlight assemblies are also revised with a single reflector dish flanked by the turn and park light globes. All lamps are enclosed in a single unit protected by an polished polycarbonate lens. The bonnet has a revised shape to fit with the above changes. The XSi, GTI 6 and Cabriolet are all fitted with a lower airdam extension. The Style is the only vehicle without body coloured bumpers. New full wheel trims are introduced. These have five oval slots with a raised flange around each opening. The GTI 6 and Cabriolet are fitted with Cyclone five spoke alloy wheels. The rear panels have also been revamped. The bumpers are again bigger, the new corporate logo is displayed and the tail lights now have a frameless construction. New metallic exterior paint colours introduced include a deep Nile Blue, a lighter Provence Blue, a mid Venetian Green, a brighter Tropical Green and a gold inspired Blaze Yellow. INTERIOR: New trim materials and revamped ergonomics are a feature of the new 306. The instrument cluster features a digital odometer with service interval indicator. This displays the distance remaining before the next schedule service each time the vehicle is started. The display is seen for a five second period. Centre console and fittings are revised as is the fog lamp switchgear. All models now have a remote headlight adjustment switch. the door trims and electric function switches are all restyled. New trims are specified for each model: Style has a Bettina cloth, XR has a corded Napoli cloth, the XT has a Racine Velour, the XSi has a dual tone Arcato Velour, the GTI 6 has a Mustang cloth and leather combination and the Cabriolet has a Bantoo corded velour. The two litre engine, first used in the 406 ST, has had a number of enhancements including reducing the bearing tolerances and increasing the distance between conrod centres. Further modifications are made to the unit fitted to the GTI 6. It has lengthened con rods, unique piston rings, a modified cylinder head and a four into one stainless steel exhaust manifold. August 1999: The new model year 306 range has been launched, with a revised model mix to accommodate the imminent arrival of the 206. Other changes are largely cosmetic. For the purpose of rationalising the model range, the two door hatchback is no longer available in the Style or XT grades. The entry level Style grade remains available with four doors. The XR grade sedans are replaced by XT models for both petrol and Diesel variants. The XT grade sedans are marginally more expensive than the previous XR models. The Diesel-engined 306 was formerly known as the 306 XRDT, but is re-named 306 XT Diesel. Bumpers, door sills, exterior mirrors, front and rear bumper rubbing strips are now body coloured for all 306 models, with the exception of the Cabriolet. The front airdam is now fitted with fog lights in either end of the engine cooling duct. The Style grade is not fitted with the airdam and does not have the fog lights fitted. The rear bumper and airdam unit has been re-styled. All models except the Cabriolet are now fitted with side skirts in body colour. The headlights have been re-designed and now feature dual parabolic reflectors and clear lenses. The side indicator lenses are now clear. The tail light cluster is new and for the XT sedan, features horizontal chrome inserts. The Peugeot corporate badge at the rear now features raised graphics. China Blue, a colour available for the 406 range, is introduced in the 306 model range also, for the 306 Style only. Various interior fittings, including the gear knob, hand-brake release button, ventilation direction controls and automatic gear shift fascia, now feature a brushed metallic look. Interior trims are now velour and woven cloth. An ultrasonic remote central locking transponder replaces the infra-red unit used previously. Apart from being available with four doors, the Style grade differs from the previous model in now having climate control, height-adjustable three spoke steering wheel and heated exterior mirrors fitted as standard. Alloy wheels are now fitted as standard to the XT grade (previously optional). Dual airbags are also standard, formerly the driver's airbag only was standard. Safety has been upgraded with a passenger's airbag now adopted as standard for the XT, XSi, GTi 6 and Cabriolet. Side impact airbags are now fitted to the GTi 6 and Cabriolet. Anti-lock brakes (Bosch 5.3) are now optional for the Style and XT; while remaining standard for the other variants. SEPTEMBER 2000: Peugeot has released the revised 2001 Model Year 306 range. The entry level Style four door has been discontinued. The XT hatchback is now fitted with ABS and Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBFD) as standard. It also picks up 'Laser' design alloy wheels (previously fitted to the XSi). The XT sedan is now only available with an automatic transmission. It also gains ABS and EBFD as standard. The XT HDi turbo diesel sedan remains unchanged. The XSi hatchback is now only available with a manual transmission. It now features EBFD (ABS already standard), front side airbags, 'Cyclone' design alloy wheels (currently fitted to the Cabriolet) and new upholstery with leather bolsters on the cushion and backrest. The GTi has also been deleted from the 306 range. The Cabriolet models also now include EBFD, as well as full leather trim and rear seat head restraints. Prices have increased for all 2001MY 306 models, except the XT HDi, to reflect the extra equipment that has been added. April 2001: To mark its success in the 2000 World Rally Championship, Peugeot has announced the introduction of a special edition 306 model, the 2.0 Rallye. The Rallye, which replaces the 306 XT hatchback, is also a four-door hatchback and is powered by the same 2.0 litre 100kW engine fitted to the 306 XSi. Standard features fitted to the Rallye include dual SRS airbags, engine immobiliser, ABS, alloy wheels, automatic rain-sensing wipers, electric windows and mirrors, climate control air-conditioning, and Rallye decals. An automatic transmission is available as a $2000 option. The special edition 306 2.0 Rallye is on sale from April 19.
</TD></TR><TR class=csrowoff><TD class=cstext width="100%" colSpan=2>Exterior

The greatest visual impact is that of the revised 306s front panels. The bumpers are larger and made to be impact absorbing. The lower airdam opening is both deeper and wider. The grille opening is a single slot opening with a large and revised corporate badge displayed in the middle. The headlight assemblies are also revised with a single reflector dish flanked by the turn and park light globes. All lamps are enclosed in a single unit protected by an polished polycarbonate lens. The bonnet has a revised shape to fit with the above changes. The XSi, GTI 6 and Cabriolet are all fitted with a lower airdam extension. The Style is the only vehicle without body coloured bumpers. New full wheel trims are introduced. These have five oval slots with a raised flange around each opening. The GTI 6 and Cabriolet are fitted with Cyclone five spoke alloy wheels. The rear panels have also been revamped. The bumpers are again bigger, the new corporate logo is displayed and the tail lights now have a frameless construction. New metallic exterior paint colours introduced include a deep Nile Blue, a lighter Provence Blue, a mid Venetian Green, a brighter Tropical Green and a gold inspired Blaze Yellow. INTERIOR: New trim materials and revamped ergonomics are a feature of the new 306. The instrument cluster features a digital odometer with service interval indicator. This displays the distance remaining before the next schedule service each time the vehicle is started. The display is seen for a five second period. Centre console and fittings are revised as is the fog lamp switchgear. All models now have a remote headlight adjustment switch. the door trims and electric function switches are all restyled. New trims are specified for each model: Style has a Bettina cloth, XR has a corded Napoli cloth, the XT has a Racine Velour, the XSi has a dual tone Arcato Velour, the GTI 6 has a Mustang cloth and leather combination and the Cabriolet has a Bantoo corded velour. August 1999: Bumpers, door sills, exterior mirrors, front and rear bumper rubbing strips are now body coloured for all 306 models, with the exception of the Cabriolet. The front airdam is now fitted with fog lights in either end of the engine cooling duct. The Style grade is not fitted with the airdam and does not have the fog lights fitted. The rear bumper and airdam unit has been re-styled. All models except the Cabriolet are now fitted with side skirts in body colour. The headlights have been re-designed and now feature dual parabolic reflectors and clear lenses. The side indicator lenses are now clear. The tail light cluster is new and for the XT sedan, features horizontal chrome inserts. The Peugeot corporate badge at the rear now features raised graphics. China Blue, a colour available for the 406 range, is introduced in the 306 model range also, for the 306 Style only.
</TD></TR><TR class=csrowon><TD class=cstext width="100%" colSpan=2>Interior

New trim materials and revamped ergonomics are a feature of the new 306. The instrument cluster features a digital odometer with service interval indicator. This displays the distance remaining before the next schedule service each time the vehicle is started. The display is seen for a five second period. Centre console and fittings are revised as is the fog lamp switchgear. All models now have a remote headlight adjustment switch. the door trims and electric function switches are all restyled. New trims are specified for each model: Style has a Bettina cloth, XR has a corded Napoli cloth, the XT has a Racine Velour, the XSi has a dual tone Arcato Velour, the GTI 6 has a Mustang cloth and leather combination and the Cabriolet has a Bantoo corded velour. August 1999: Various interior fittings, including the gear knob, hand-brake release button, ventilation direction controls and automatic gear shift fascia, now feature a brushed metallic look. Interior trims are now velour and woven cloth. An ultrasonic remote central locking transponder replaces the infra-red unit used previously. Apart from being available with four doors, the Style grade differs from the previous model in now having climate control, height-adjustable three spoke steering wheel and heated exterior mirrors fitted as standard. Alloy wheels are now fitted as standard to the XT grade (previously optional). Dual airbags are also standard, formerly the driver's airbag only was standard. Safety has been upgraded with a passenger's airbag now adopted as standard for the XT, XSi, GTi 6 and Cabriolet. Side impact airbags are now fitted to the GTi 6 and Cabriolet.
</TD></TR><TR class=csrowoff><TD class=cstext width="100%" colSpan=2>Mechanical

The two litre engine, first used in the 406 ST, has had a number of enhancements including reducing the bearing tolerances and increasing the distance between conrod centres. Further modifications are made to the unit fitted to the GTI 6. It has lengthened con rods, unique piston rings, a modified cylinder head and a four into one stainless steel exhaust manifold. August 1999: Anti-lock brakes (Bosch 5.3) are now optional for the Style and XT; while remaining standard for the other variants.

heres a useful link: http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.research_results?make_name=PEUGEOT&model_name=306
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center><TD class=cshead></TD><TD class=cshead><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cshead>:cheers:

edit: added link.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:
pugjet said:
heres an article i stumbled on, that some of you may find informative:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=csrowon><TD class=cstext width="100%" colSpan=2>Introduction

Following the N3 1994 introduction to our market, a second generation N5 Peugeot 306 models have been released. All but the convertible body are built in the Ryton plant in Coventry, England. The Cabrio begins its life with the Pininfarina company who assemble and paint the body, fit the hood and ship the package to Peugeot's Poissy plant, near Paris. It is here that the final drive train and trim components are added. With this upgrade, two models have been renamed and one introduced to the range. The Style name is now used for the entry model, previously called the XR three door hatch. The new XR sedan was previously the SR and the GTI 6 is introduced as the sports version in the range. As part of this model revamp, interior and exterior changes have taken place and specifications added to all models. A driver's airbag is standard on all models, the GTI 6 also has a passenger's bag. Impact absorbing bumpers have been introduced which has increased the overall length by 40mm for the hatch and by 30mm for the sedan. Structural integrity has been improved with an increase in bending and torsional rigidity. All major panels have been increased in thickness from 0.7 to 0.8mm. The major portion of the 306 body is galvanised as an anti corrosion measure. All Peugeot models are covered against perforation corrosion for six years. The greatest visual impact is that of the revised 306s front panels. The bumpers are larger and made to be impact absorbing. The lower airdam opening is both deeper and wider. The grille opening is a single slot opening with a large and revised corporate badge displayed in the middle. The headlight assemblies are also revised with a single reflector dish flanked by the turn and park light globes. All lamps are enclosed in a single unit protected by an polished polycarbonate lens. The bonnet has a revised shape to fit with the above changes. The XSi, GTI 6 and Cabriolet are all fitted with a lower airdam extension. The Style is the only vehicle without body coloured bumpers. New full wheel trims are introduced. These have five oval slots with a raised flange around each opening. The GTI 6 and Cabriolet are fitted with Cyclone five spoke alloy wheels. The rear panels have also been revamped. The bumpers are again bigger, the new corporate logo is displayed and the tail lights now have a frameless construction. New metallic exterior paint colours introduced include a deep Nile Blue, a lighter Provence Blue, a mid Venetian Green, a brighter Tropical Green and a gold inspired Blaze Yellow. INTERIOR: New trim materials and revamped ergonomics are a feature of the new 306. The instrument cluster features a digital odometer with service interval indicator. This displays the distance remaining before the next schedule service each time the vehicle is started. The display is seen for a five second period. Centre console and fittings are revised as is the fog lamp switchgear. All models now have a remote headlight adjustment switch. the door trims and electric function switches are all restyled. New trims are specified for each model: Style has a Bettina cloth, XR has a corded Napoli cloth, the XT has a Racine Velour, the XSi has a dual tone Arcato Velour, the GTI 6 has a Mustang cloth and leather combination and the Cabriolet has a Bantoo corded velour. The two litre engine, first used in the 406 ST, has had a number of enhancements including reducing the bearing tolerances and increasing the distance between conrod centres. Further modifications are made to the unit fitted to the GTI 6. It has lengthened con rods, unique piston rings, a modified cylinder head and a four into one stainless steel exhaust manifold. August 1999: The new model year 306 range has been launched, with a revised model mix to accommodate the imminent arrival of the 206. Other changes are largely cosmetic. For the purpose of rationalising the model range, the two door hatchback is no longer available in the Style or XT grades. The entry level Style grade remains available with four doors. The XR grade sedans are replaced by XT models for both petrol and Diesel variants. The XT grade sedans are marginally more expensive than the previous XR models. The Diesel-engined 306 was formerly known as the 306 XRDT, but is re-named 306 XT Diesel. Bumpers, door sills, exterior mirrors, front and rear bumper rubbing strips are now body coloured for all 306 models, with the exception of the Cabriolet. The front airdam is now fitted with fog lights in either end of the engine cooling duct. The Style grade is not fitted with the airdam and does not have the fog lights fitted. The rear bumper and airdam unit has been re-styled. All models except the Cabriolet are now fitted with side skirts in body colour. The headlights have been re-designed and now feature dual parabolic reflectors and clear lenses. The side indicator lenses are now clear. The tail light cluster is new and for the XT sedan, features horizontal chrome inserts. The Peugeot corporate badge at the rear now features raised graphics. China Blue, a colour available for the 406 range, is introduced in the 306 model range also, for the 306 Style only. Various interior fittings, including the gear knob, hand-brake release button, ventilation direction controls and automatic gear shift fascia, now feature a brushed metallic look. Interior trims are now velour and woven cloth. An ultrasonic remote central locking transponder replaces the infra-red unit used previously. Apart from being available with four doors, the Style grade differs from the previous model in now having climate control, height-adjustable three spoke steering wheel and heated exterior mirrors fitted as standard. Alloy wheels are now fitted as standard to the XT grade (previously optional). Dual airbags are also standard, formerly the driver's airbag only was standard. Safety has been upgraded with a passenger's airbag now adopted as standard for the XT, XSi, GTi 6 and Cabriolet. Side impact airbags are now fitted to the GTi 6 and Cabriolet. Anti-lock brakes (Bosch 5.3) are now optional for the Style and XT; while remaining standard for the other variants. SEPTEMBER 2000: Peugeot has released the revised 2001 Model Year 306 range. The entry level Style four door has been discontinued. The XT hatchback is now fitted with ABS and Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBFD) as standard. It also picks up 'Laser' design alloy wheels (previously fitted to the XSi). The XT sedan is now only available with an automatic transmission. It also gains ABS and EBFD as standard. The XT HDi turbo diesel sedan remains unchanged. The XSi hatchback is now only available with a manual transmission. It now features EBFD (ABS already standard), front side airbags, 'Cyclone' design alloy wheels (currently fitted to the Cabriolet) and new upholstery with leather bolsters on the cushion and backrest. The GTi has also been deleted from the 306 range. The Cabriolet models also now include EBFD, as well as full leather trim and rear seat head restraints. Prices have increased for all 2001MY 306 models, except the XT HDi, to reflect the extra equipment that has been added. April 2001: To mark its success in the 2000 World Rally Championship, Peugeot has announced the introduction of a special edition 306 model, the 2.0 Rallye. The Rallye, which replaces the 306 XT hatchback, is also a four-door hatchback and is powered by the same 2.0 litre 100kW engine fitted to the 306 XSi. Standard features fitted to the Rallye include dual SRS airbags, engine immobiliser, ABS, alloy wheels, automatic rain-sensing wipers, electric windows and mirrors, climate control air-conditioning, and Rallye decals. An automatic transmission is available as a $2000 option. The special edition 306 2.0 Rallye is on sale from April 19.
</TD></TR><TR class=csrowoff><TD class=cstext width="100%" colSpan=2>Exterior

The greatest visual impact is that of the revised 306s front panels. The bumpers are larger and made to be impact absorbing. The lower airdam opening is both deeper and wider. The grille opening is a single slot opening with a large and revised corporate badge displayed in the middle. The headlight assemblies are also revised with a single reflector dish flanked by the turn and park light globes. All lamps are enclosed in a single unit protected by an polished polycarbonate lens. The bonnet has a revised shape to fit with the above changes. The XSi, GTI 6 and Cabriolet are all fitted with a lower airdam extension. The Style is the only vehicle without body coloured bumpers. New full wheel trims are introduced. These have five oval slots with a raised flange around each opening. The GTI 6 and Cabriolet are fitted with Cyclone five spoke alloy wheels. The rear panels have also been revamped. The bumpers are again bigger, the new corporate logo is displayed and the tail lights now have a frameless construction. New metallic exterior paint colours introduced include a deep Nile Blue, a lighter Provence Blue, a mid Venetian Green, a brighter Tropical Green and a gold inspired Blaze Yellow. INTERIOR: New trim materials and revamped ergonomics are a feature of the new 306. The instrument cluster features a digital odometer with service interval indicator. This displays the distance remaining before the next schedule service each time the vehicle is started. The display is seen for a five second period. Centre console and fittings are revised as is the fog lamp switchgear. All models now have a remote headlight adjustment switch. the door trims and electric function switches are all restyled. New trims are specified for each model: Style has a Bettina cloth, XR has a corded Napoli cloth, the XT has a Racine Velour, the XSi has a dual tone Arcato Velour, the GTI 6 has a Mustang cloth and leather combination and the Cabriolet has a Bantoo corded velour. August 1999: Bumpers, door sills, exterior mirrors, front and rear bumper rubbing strips are now body coloured for all 306 models, with the exception of the Cabriolet. The front airdam is now fitted with fog lights in either end of the engine cooling duct. The Style grade is not fitted with the airdam and does not have the fog lights fitted. The rear bumper and airdam unit has been re-styled. All models except the Cabriolet are now fitted with side skirts in body colour. The headlights have been re-designed and now feature dual parabolic reflectors and clear lenses. The side indicator lenses are now clear. The tail light cluster is new and for the XT sedan, features horizontal chrome inserts. The Peugeot corporate badge at the rear now features raised graphics. China Blue, a colour available for the 406 range, is introduced in the 306 model range also, for the 306 Style only.
</TD></TR><TR class=csrowon><TD class=cstext width="100%" colSpan=2>Interior

New trim materials and revamped ergonomics are a feature of the new 306. The instrument cluster features a digital odometer with service interval indicator. This displays the distance remaining before the next schedule service each time the vehicle is started. The display is seen for a five second period. Centre console and fittings are revised as is the fog lamp switchgear. All models now have a remote headlight adjustment switch. the door trims and electric function switches are all restyled. New trims are specified for each model: Style has a Bettina cloth, XR has a corded Napoli cloth, the XT has a Racine Velour, the XSi has a dual tone Arcato Velour, the GTI 6 has a Mustang cloth and leather combination and the Cabriolet has a Bantoo corded velour. August 1999: Various interior fittings, including the gear knob, hand-brake release button, ventilation direction controls and automatic gear shift fascia, now feature a brushed metallic look. Interior trims are now velour and woven cloth. An ultrasonic remote central locking transponder replaces the infra-red unit used previously. Apart from being available with four doors, the Style grade differs from the previous model in now having climate control, height-adjustable three spoke steering wheel and heated exterior mirrors fitted as standard. Alloy wheels are now fitted as standard to the XT grade (previously optional). Dual airbags are also standard, formerly the driver's airbag only was standard. Safety has been upgraded with a passenger's airbag now adopted as standard for the XT, XSi, GTi 6 and Cabriolet. Side impact airbags are now fitted to the GTi 6 and Cabriolet.
</TD></TR><TR class=csrowoff><TD class=cstext width="100%" colSpan=2>Mechanical

The two litre engine, first used in the 406 ST, has had a number of enhancements including reducing the bearing tolerances and increasing the distance between conrod centres. Further modifications are made to the unit fitted to the GTI 6. It has lengthened con rods, unique piston rings, a modified cylinder head and a four into one stainless steel exhaust manifold. August 1999: Anti-lock brakes (Bosch 5.3) are now optional for the Style and XT; while remaining standard for the other variants.

heres a useful link: http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.research_results?make_name=PEUGEOT&model_name=306
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=center><TD class=cshead></TD><TD class=cshead><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cshead>:cheers:

edit: added link.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

would be informative, if it wasn't just HTML garble... some formating would go a long way to making it legible

CHRI'S16 said:
Micheal
Unfortunately we didn't get those type of "rallye" 306's/206's/106's etc. We litterally got a sticker added. It was a marketing campain to capatelise on the fact that peugeot was succesfully competing in the WRC. Mechanicaly and performance the cars were identicall. We do KNOW of your reall ralley (spell?) and what they were, but they were not sold on our showroom floor.
Pugs/306's are still considered the alternative car, were as Jap cars and local cars are more mainstream. HENCE, maquered took the time and effort to construct this thread to give people and idea on the introduction and evolution of the 306 in Australia. Pugs are still abit of a mistery to alot of people in Aus, but thats slowly changing mostly because of the efforts that people such as maquered and other members of this board.

Some of us took to stripping our 306's ourselves to try and create our own version of a real 'rallye' 306... :D
I would love a fully stripped Gti-6, with plexiglass panels, no a/c, no power anything, no rear seats or any leather, no sunroof etc... In other words you lucky buggers!! - Chris

Just to add some mistery, or in fact just add my 2c. I am an owner of a rallye (the australian edition!).

From what I can tell, its basically and XSI, with some bits taken away and a sticker added. It doesnt have leather and sits slightly higher than the XSI due to a different (XT?) suspension setup.

My 2001 rallye has no driver lumber support adjustment, but off the top of my head it does have passenger lumber support adjustment.

I've got air con and a factory sunroof and CD player but I believe these were factory extras and not included as standard.

Attachments

• DSCN0673.JPG
    DSCN0673.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 832
They were based on the XT, and the only differences between an XT and a Rallye was the sticker. It has XT wheels and suspension. AC and CD player were standard but the sunroof would have been a local option.

Hi everyone, decided to try asking my query here first, as it doesn't seem to warrant a thread. I bought a 306 XSi N5 a couple of months ago, and it only has one XSi badge on the passenger side door. I was just wondering where the factory badge placement was on the N5, as I've seen N3 XSis, which have the red badge next to the 306 badge and doors, but have yet to see a N5 sporting a similar arrangement.
It may sound like a pretty odd question, but I just want to avoid any potential mix-ups etc. in getting some new badges.

I've seen N3 XSis, which have the red badge next to the 306 badge and doors

This one is all the red XSi badges my 1996 N3 ever had, from the day I purchased it (new) in 1996 till I rediscovered it in a car yard in 2006, where I took this pic ...

Attachments

• bloopoo.jpg
    bloopoo.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 14,280