306 Timeline FAQ

The sure if you've solved the VIN number mystery, I read you talking about it when I first became a member of the forum, but can't remember if you solved it... Anyway, I found this on www.306gti6.com :cheers:
vin_3.gif

Interesting, I've never actually read this thread till tonight.

I have one more oddity to add (though only anecdotal). When I was shopping around for a new car, I looked at a (new) 96 S16 at British & Continental in Five Dock. It was beyond my budget (which was 30K). It had leather upholstery with suede inserts. But the thing that I've not seen mentioned anywhere in this thread was the fact that it had a digital odometer. I've always thought that the 96 S16's had the digital odometer but I didn't see it mentioned anywhere.

I also thought that the GTi6 was not released in Australia until 1998. I remember being very disappointed when they announced the discontinuance of the S16 and at the time they said there would not be a replacement model. From memory the Gti6 didn't appear until 98 but I could be completely wrong.

On the VIN numbers mine starts VF37CRFT23 It's a Jan 95 compliance Oct 94 build date S16.

Tony.

Last edited:
Just a quick reference post to counter the "rarity" of the S16 model sold in Australia.

I have sales records that show that in Australia they sold a total of 319 S16s:

1994: 88
1995: 207
1996: 24
total: 319

As opposed to the GTi6/GTi:

1997: 43
1998: 143
1999: 66 (+9 GTi)
2000: 5 (+24 GTi)
total: 290

It's from a VFacts printout that someone gave me a few years ago and for the years 1991-2006.

Last edited:
I've noticed some earlier 306s have a tag in the engine bay, "Inchcape Motors". I saw it on some at Dapto Pick-A-Part the other day (94s and thereabouts) and the 97 5dr XT hatch I'm just about to buy, but not at all in the engine bay of my 2000 XT.

So whom was Inchcape Motors?

I've noticed some earlier 306s have a tag in the engine bay, "Inchcape Motors". I saw it on some at Dapto Pick-A-Part the other day (94s and thereabouts) and the 97 5dr XT hatch I'm just about to buy, but not at all in the engine bay of my 2000 XT.

So whom was Inchcape Motors?
Hi Splintex,

Inchcape was the previous importer, before the current importer (Sime Darby) took over in October 2001.

Last edited:
Thanks for that SLC206. I find that on closer observation, my 2000 XT sedan does have this tag under the bonnet, but no mention of Inchcape Motors. Apart from that omission, the tag is otherwise identical to the "Inchcape" tag under the bonnet of my 1997 XT 5dr hatch.

Hi Brenno,
In the history of release dates you have; you note that in 1999 the 2 millionth 306 arrives in Australia. It is stated as being a red 306 cabrio. Do you have or can you obtain conclusive evidence of this happening? The VIN of this vehicle would be very useful to have. Why do I ask? I own a 1998 build compliance 1999 red cabriolet, with trim levels not seen on any other cabriolet to date. Any information you can provide will be of interest to me.
Cheers,
Zeke86

b]October 2001[/b]

306 Cabrio Limited. Body coloured hardtop standard.

Complete Peugeot newbie here, did these hardtops actually make it to Australia? I can't find any here.

I saw one at training the cost of the hard top was around 20k not painted anyone that bought one should be committed [emoji854]

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Not quite that much, but still very expensive: $4,800 special order when first "offered".

I'd imagine not too many people took up the offer.

Refer to the link below for the local press release in 1997.

Hard Top press release

I've no idea how much extra the hard top stand would have been!

When I looked up the part about 10 years ago it was around 17 18 I guess the original deal would have been the go

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Is VIN information still being sought?

From reading the thread, I’m not certain. Anyway, I’m happy to provide the VIN of our 2002 cabriolet. VF37DRFVW33327143

I will have the VIN of the other cabriolet, a 1999 model, which was scrapped about 3 or 4 years ago after a cooked engine. However, it will take me a bit of time to find it. I still think that it was the better car than the 2002 model we now have, but it would have been a costly repair.

It was said that the 306's made at Ruyton after Peugeot purchased Chrysler paying 2 pound for the Ruyton keys.Union members complained asking why so little..Peugeot Managements reply 'Well we only paid for the value of a set of keys ,because that is what it;s value was...to us???????WHY HAVE A LOOK AT ITS TRACK RECORD !! HAS NOT MADE MONEY FOR YEARS. THING IS..IF YOU WANT A JOB YOU HAVE GOT ONE IF NOT YOU HAVE NOT !! Prior to Ruyton Management stated that the quality at the plant was equal to of the other World plants.
The foundation of Peugeot and its integrity is way different than most .It is my opinion that most of the the components that had an horrific quality was in fact deliberate by some whose plans were deliberate.
Thankfully Peugeot are getting back on track.