306 Timeline FAQ

Lightning said:
Yep. UK Rallye is GTI6 minus aircon, power windows, front fogs. I think that there were about 5,000 GTI6s made. UK cars are called the GTI6. I was told that they European left hand drive ones continued to be called the S16 despite the change in engine (don't know the codes off hand). Aus was the same as the UK where the S16 had 155 HP and then changed to the GTI6 with 167HP (XU104JS).

I should also say that I have the Pug parts CD if somebody wants a copy.

i would like a copy of the pug parts cd, please let me know how i can get a copy
thanks
scotsman

Here's the actual diagram

Attachments

• vin_3.gif
    vin_3.gif
    11.9 KB · Views: 7,371
We got one of the first batch - build 10/96, reg 12/96, refer vin quoted. Juke
macquered said:
Paulg309: As discussed above, the Rallye that we got in Australia bears no relation to the awesome one that you guys get. They are completely different in concept.

That'd be the XU10J4RS yeah?

Interesting! Didn't know that. Just adds more to the confusion ;) Have you got one of these? Or where did you see one?

Have seen several around, one from Sthn. Highlands comes to ACT events. Still own the car, 130+K. I think there are continual changes going on with evey batch imported being slightly different - just a guess. Juke

Last edited:
Don't like to quibble with the details of the dates, but when I bought my XSi in 10/96, I'm sure I knew there was a GTi6 around then, but priced at too far a stretch beyond my budget. In 100,000kms, never had a problem with any "build quality" issues, either, except for the sharp edges they left under the door handles to catch the unwary ... beautiful machine otherwise.

Never realized the S16 was so rare, either (but in those days, never really saw the point of it, either).

:peugeot: MY99 206GTi
:renault: Clio 1.4L auto

Last edited:
Good man, Mr Slick, and I've done that ... that's a tasty looking S16 of yours, too. Did they have the same wheelbase as the GTi6 or the 5-door XSi's etc? From memory, the XSi was about 140mm up on the 206's 2442 mm ...

:peugeot: MY99 206GTi
:renault: Clio 1.4L auto

hmm... not entirely sure about the wheelbase. I'll investigate unless someone beats me to it - BTW mr Bern - post some 'tasty' pics of your 206GTI too :)

slick said:
hmm... not entirely sure about the wheelbase. I'll investigate unless someone beats me to it - BTW mr Bern - post some 'tasty' pics of your 206GTI too :)

the N5 3 door and 5 door both have the same wheelbase

all the dimensions are the same between the two cars except for the doors of course

as for the N3 dimensions i don't know but i can't see them bieng too far off what the N5 is or even the same

BTW the wheelbase on the N5 is 2580mm

306 Lemans

While working in Jakarta I bought my wife a '98 306 Lemans sedan, I haven't seen any in OZ. The Lemans had full leather interior and a Lemans badge.

Nice car, I miss the comfort and the handling now I'm back to the harsh little hyperactive 205 GTI in OZ!

Hi Macquered
to add to your 306 compilation...
My understanding was that the series 2 306's were made of .8mm sheetmetal ( instead of the .7mm that was used on the series 1) and that the series two had many more spot welds on the body shell.
I am fairly certain that all rhd 405 were made in Rylton? England .and the Aussie 306 were possibly made there as well.

hey all you guys are lucky....we in malaysia never had the S16 or the GTI-6 version over here....the only 306 that brought in was the 1.8 8V version which is crap compared to the S16 and the GTI-6....the only good thing that the local distributors did was to bring in the Citroen ZX 16V.....this car shares the same engine and chassis as the S16....been driving my ride for almost 2.5 years now and still enjoy driving it so much....unfortunately the XU10J4RS version was neven brought in so we are quite under privilaged in that sense...

i was thinking of actually bring in half a car from australia with XU10J4RS engine....do they have GTI-6 cuts or the Mk II version of the ZX 16V with XU10J4RS down under?

anybody got any idea on this issue?do you guys know any wreckers with these half cuts and whats the approximate price on these cuts?

:cheers:

RE: 306 Build plant

The first UK built 306's (N3's) had a VIN which started SBD instead of VF3. I'm not sure if this was carried through on all UK built 306's or it was just the first ones.
SDB7AKDX230095183 is a UK built 306 N3
VF37CD8A436745092 is a French built 306 N3

ffabre11 said:
What version are your cd's dated?
I have some cd's, but am not sure if your are later, cheers.

which CD's are you speaking of ?

if you are speaking of the ones i have i'll check for you and get back to you

A 1994 XR Auto

Hi all,

I am interested to see your chronology of the 306, as the owner of one of the early 1994 1.8 306's (and a 2001 306 (wife's) It was a demo or private import originally from Canberra, we bought in VIC from a dealer in 1995 with 8,000 kms on it. It is a white XR auto built in late 1993 and got complence in May 1994, but it is definately an auto. The VIN number apparantly doesn't match the range on the database, something Vicroads were very confused about at the time.

Imagine an inspector sitting in the driver's seat saying: "This car in a manual." Me saying: "It is an auto." Pointing at the shifter.... "But is can't be they don't exist." "Your sitting in one." Then he goes on; "This VIN doesn't exit......" "Well it has got complience and ACT rego..." "But it can't......" Don't you love e'm.

Still driving it, but I think I know everything that goes wrong with 306's. [heat cores, transmissions, drive shafts, climate control, driver's door wiring, etc, etc. And it has been off a cliff in 2000, winched up and driven straight to the repairers with $17,000 in damage.

The vin is no is: VF37CLFZ430266259 engine no: 1002404

In any case, there is at least one '94 XR auto in the country, probably a few more.