306 stalling

403B

Tadpole
Greetings all,
my daughter has a 2001 306 2 litre Rally hatch auto that just decides to stop just like you have turned the ignition key off.This happens only at low speeds or when pulled up in traffic,on the open road it's fine,smooth as...
I made the mistake of taking the car to the local Peugeot dealership here in Tamworth N.S.W.they diagnosed the fault as a faulty engine speed sensor they replaced it said all was good to go.i picked the car up,drove it 4 Kms.in which time it had stopped 9 times and had developed a miss on acceleration,not happy was I.So back it went,several weeks passed and the dealership told me that there had been a small coolant leak onto part of the wiring harness and they needed to send it to an auto electrician who looked at the wiring,cleaned a plug and said that they could find no faults.....So back to the dealer for a road test,all ok.I went in to pick the car up,emptied my wallet hopped in the car started it only to have it stall before I even put it into gear,re started it got all of 400m. up the road and you guessed it stopped again.Back to the dealership drop keys on counter utter fix it and walk out.
By this time,over 6 weeks have passed,the car is due for rego.The dealership did a rego inspection and you guessed it failed it for worn lower control arm bushes and a rattle in the cat converter,over $1,000.00 to fix
A new tech at the dealership said the the original stalling issue may possibly be caused by the cat converter
being faulty.Not wanting to spend a grand on a may-be fix I now have an extra resident stuck at our place.
Does anyone have any ideas that may help me resolve the stopping problem or does anyone wish to purchase the car with a view ti fixing it.The car has done only 120,000Km's good tyres and good overall condition $500.00.
Thanks for your time.
Cheers,Larry........(the turkeys they employ as Peugeot tech's couldn't fix a Peugeot pepper grinder!:cry::crazy:)

Greetings all,
my daughter has a 2001 306 2 litre Rally hatch auto .....
mine has too, but it's a manual - when you say stall, presumably the ignition is still on but no go?

with that age of car I decided (after experiencing a fuel pump seal failure) to replace all the sensors and there are a few - all fidly gettable to

here's the journey with the fuel pump o-ring failure =>>> http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/126567-306-just-stopped.html

if stalling at idle then could be the idle stepper motor or any one of a number of sensors

this may help you =>>> http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/peugeot-forum/95752-306-issues-cutting-out-idling-high.html

Yep, idle stepper motor. Easy and cheap enough to replace. Common cause.

Then fuel pump, when the pressure varies to much you'll get stalling when you're coming to a halt. Indicates failure or o-ring leaking. New pump is the easiest, but not cheapest. Circa $400

Otherwise, many sensors to check. Crank angle, engine temp, throttle position sensor etc.

Hi,that was the first thing that I replaced then the 3 sensors on the water pump body,cleaned the throttle body,replaced the o2 sensor,checked everything that I thought could be the culprit but not the fuel pump,will have a peep at it,but don't want to throw $400 at it.
I love older Pug's,things are a lot simpler.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Cheers,
Larry.

I haven't looked at a 2.0L 306, but in the 405 with the 2.0 engine there is a speed sensor built into the speedo drive at the rear of the transmission. When that goes crook, the car stalls at every coasting idle or slow turn as yours does. It tells the fairly simple engine computer that the car is stopped or going.

You can spot it by the electrical connection as well as the speedo drive cable.