306 S16 Wiring Help! (No voltage at fuel pump)

cam85

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Afternoon all.

Im trying to solve a non starting issue with the S16. A few symptoms to consider first.
Has been starting fine for the past 3 weeks since the rebuilt motor. Once running it would sometimes stall when coming to a stop or letting the revs drop when dipping the clutch. It would more than often not stall but drop to 600rpm ish and then shoot up to 1500-2000 and then settle rock steady at 950-1000rpm. It would drive noticeably better when the idle would sit closer to 1000rpm. Much cleaner throttle response and less throttle needs to move forward. Once warm the car would stall more often and if switched off and restarted has become hard to keep from stalling initially untill it would rev past 2000 rpm ‘clearning its throat’. Until it wouldnt restart yesterday. Its was trying to idle but couldnt stay going for more the 2-3 seconds no matter the throttle position. It almost caught, and applying the throttle killed it and now it cranks with no fuel at the rail.

Double relay checks out as its clicking twice once with ignition and the other when it cranks. Tested the cam sensor and crank angle sensor and both check out. Also getting correct voltages at cas (0-1v-0) and cps (12v-0-0). Hard wired fuel pump and that check out.
Not getting any voltage to the fuel pump still.. Ive double checked earths and there all clean and where they should be.

Some other things to note.
The motor is running 1.9 injectors, 86.5mm pistons, more compression and stage 1 and 0.5 cams. When under operating temp (under 90c) it would run a lot better as described earlier and once warm would sometimes be a full power and other times a bit lethargic. Turning on the AC (which has no gas and compressor not engaging) the ecu seems to add fuel in prep for the comp to kick in. It would then run much better when clicking on so to speak.

Ive replaced the o2 sensor and that made a good difference before the starting issues. Also have tried a known good cam sensor, fuel reg and crank sensor.

Really stumped as to where the issue is or what to do next? Continuity tests for the fuel pump wiring? Ive tried bridging the relay plug but no joy. Ive tried bridging pin 5 to 8 and 6 to 8.

What else stops voltage going to the fuel pump? Essentially its slowly died over the past week. Vehicle speed sensor?

Thanks in advance.

No crash button on the S16.

Thanks Pete. I couldnt find the correct diagram for the S16 so was trying to workout from Haynes which pins to bridge. Ill try in the morning.

Ive since discovered some sort of anti theft under the dash which looks like it might have something to do with it also.

Can you let me know what number wire im looking for for the fuel pump under the dash? I think its been spliced into and causing the issues.

Yep thanks. Couldnt see the diagram. Now on the Pc I can. Theres only 30 fuses and struggling to find the fuel pump 10amp fuse. Tracing begins soon!

How do I test the relay? Ive been searching but to no avail.

Bridging 9-11 get the pump going! Still wo t start. Checking inj and spark now.

Yes have been checking voltages and resistance with a multimeter.

Some success today. I replaced the crank angle sensor with one I had lying around. Plugged it in and it would lightly backfire. Decided that it also might be dud so took one from the race car and it took a few turns but fired up. So this looks like the culprit. That or banging the relay a few times out of desperation!

It took a moment to settle and then idled well. Took it for a drive and it had a lot more pep. Yet to check afrs live and compare 2.0 and 1.9 injectors. Theres more to come. Its got a bit of hesitation from time to time and feels a bit bogged down. I suspect maybe a small vcuum leak as coming to idle it still wants to stall. Not as bad as before. Would the ICV affect running over lower revs? Perhaps the icv needs a clean or replacement.

It certainly goes hard when its all working!

I’d search for a copy of the Bosch 3.2 engine management diagnostic doc for the s16 which is really good for diagnosing faults in any part of the system and explains procedures to test/diagnose. Had I read this sooner, I could have told about the fuel pump on 11 & 9. Ill have a snoop around the net for it now.

Ahh that would be great. I solved the issues and sold the car but the new owner is having a little gremlin of some sort so would love to have it to help him out.