306 S16 shock absorbers

Brad

Fellow Frogger
Just had some unscheduled checkups done the other day and it seems my FRH shoch is leaking oil and will probably need to be replaced.

Few questions.

1)Any idea on costs for these items?
2)Are these prices for original Peugeot items or another brand?
3)Would I be better (depending on cost) looking at alternatives like GAB or Bilstein etc?

Hey Phasis

If I was in your situation, I would definetely look into replacing them with standard ones. If the cost of them was ridiculous, I would then consider Bilstein shocks (and get slapped around by my fiance for modifying the car...) :)

Bilsteins may actually be a better replacement as you could probably get a set to match your lower, stiffer springs... (probably the reason why the shock wore out quickly in the first place...)

I'm not sure what the price difference would be though... as far as I'm aware, Bilsteins are more expensive than Konis (which are quite good in my opinion, but apparently Bilsteins have a nicer ride on the road). On my Impreza the Konis were $253 each and had adjustable rebound.

GAB shocks are firm! I'd only get these for a track car... they're only a wee bit softer than Teins which are stupendously stiff. The difference in ride would be like chalk and cheese (with preference to the original items)

Hope this helps!

Got a quote today on Sashs shocks for 2.0l 306's, (S16's and GTi6 i assume)...
$122 ea

Any feedback on these shocks?

[ 14 January 2002: Message edited by: Phasis ]</p>

Phasis,

Bilsteins will probably last for the rest of the life of the car as well, PLUS if they do wear out they are rebuildable (I think Konis are as well), so factor this into the equation. Note the point made earlier - is yours low enough to need shorter shocks?

Cheers

Stuey

Not sure how low it has been taken. The springs are Ebibash I have been told. At the moment I dont have the cash to get very expensive ones unfortunatly.

Thats why I liked the idea of these Sachs ones but only if they are as good if not better than stnd.

Peugeot shocks are what make or break the car. The have based their reputation on ride and handling which stems from their excellent and inhouse suspension design.

Take away the superb dampers and you have an average car.

I would rather have a Pulsar SSS than a 306 with crook dampers.

In fact I would have to really think about replacing them with even Bilsteins.

Brendan

Actually, Macquered, that's a really good point. I know Bilsteins are a bit stiff on the ride front (I had them on a 320i BMW). I believe Koni's are a bit more ride friendly.

Phasis, do you mean Eibach? If so, they are probably lowered quite a lot.

Stu

Yeah Stuey, thats them. Didnt know how to spell it. I havent got a price on original Peugeot items and I am affraid to ask :(

What to do....what to do.
I an fully aware of the superiority of the OEM items, but if they are going to be $400 each then I have to look elsewhere as my bloody warranty does not cover this item :mad:

I paid $160 ea. for OEM Mi16 front shocks approx. 2 years ago. I doubt S16 items would be any dearer.

Just an update....got a quote on some genuine Peugeot items, $335 per pair. Seems like a no brainer to be seeing as the Sachs ones were about the same price and had no distinct advantage. Besides, I am sure Peugeot know what they are doing.