306 S16...a small project that got way out of hand.

Hey@Easty @PeterT @Mingus @cam85 - have just bought an S16 but the ACAV pods are broken. What is the non-ACAV option? pros/cons? How do I repair the pods?! pros/cons? Desperate to get me new wheels movin! Many thanks in advance for any advice

Last edited:
Just be patient and find some working pods. Its the best and easiest solution for your problem. They break easily so be patient fitting them.

Just be patient and find some working pods. Its the best and easiest solution for your problem. They break easily so be patient fitting them.
Thanks for the replies @PeterT and @cam85 ! Yeah, might start by trying to find a working pod, will look around. Either of you have any lying around?

Nothing my end. Not in the game anymore!

I may have some. Will check on the weekend.

You will also need the little solenoid on the side of the motor. They play up as well

I got Matt sorted - He came down from Syd to Wollongong and we replaced with a repaired pod (of course I had to lose the 10mm nyloc nut down the front of the engine block....torches, magnets, compressed air and then a borescope to get the thing back!).

The good news is it's pulling as it should, keyless remote, and boot mechanism fixed!

We took each others for a spin and while his is much cleaner to look at it.... it doesn't pull like mine ;)

Thanks so much @Mingus! Was good fun and yes your S16 freakin pulls! 😲
Now I just need to find some Cabriolet front seats.. 🤞

The seats would have to be from an N3 306 Cabriolet. I know from experience that N5 306 cab seats don't fit in an S16—unless you can use your existing runners on the cab seats. I didn't try that at the time.

The seats would have to be from an N3 306 Cabriolet. I know from experience that N5 306 cab seats don't fit in an S16—unless you can use your existing runners on the cab seats. I didn't try that at the time.

Hey @natumbri and @RI88IT I talked to French Connection parts guy today and he said the only direct swap that would work is a N3 306 XR or a pre 1999 306 "Style" because Cabriolet seats (of any gen) bolt in differently, I think he said they have different bolt in dimensions because they require more strength due to it not having a roof (or something like that..)

Great. It's a much nicer tune, even for a standard engine.

I have a standard engine! Does it increase low end torque? Have you got any more chips lying around?
Yes and yes. It has a more progressive fuel delivery, rather than keeping AFR's 14.7:1 until the last minute. Easy to burn a new one. I'll PM you the details.