306 rear suspension questions

Gone

1000+ Posts
Hi All

I've got a complete, straight 306 TD 5sp manual that was abandoned halfway thru a timing belt change then left in my back yard with the promise that it would be trailered to Perth in the not too distant future - some time ago...

Still free to a good, bad or indifferent home BTW.

Anyway one of the rear wheels has way too much camber and I'm told the rear suspension would need fixing.

What is involved and what are the likely costs?

(I have mild interest from a Gero-based Pug person)

P

Would most likely need rear trailing arm bearings and possibly shaft. Easy job if you know what you are doing. Will need to have a couple of special tools though.

Or a loose stub axle, have had a couple of those, no bent ones though.

Thanks all,

With regard to the bearing replacement: Are the special tools something one could fabricate, or get by without? Any workarounds?

Are the bearings easy to come by, any idea what the costs might be for bearings and associated bits needed for the job?

P

You need to be able to pull the bearings out, inner one by a long rod from the other side or special puller. Outer one I do by using a power file. You need to use bolts with washers and sockets to pull the torsion bars out. You may need a press if the shafts need removing. Shafts and bearings available on line. Easy for me with experience and facilities but I wouldn't bother if I was in your position, these cars are worth nothing.

Easiest way to get the inners out is to use an old axle stub, reverse it and push them into the middle section, mash them with the arb and pull the tube through to clean it correctly of all the needle rollers etc. Install similarly just don't push too far.

If you do a search, there are a few good how to's on the internet, with pictures and all.
205 how to's are more common, but vary similar to 306.

I used this when I did mine.
https://www.205gtidrivers.com/artic...n-steering/rear-beam-refurbishment-guide-r66/

As has been said above, it is a difficult job.
Also there is no recorded suspension hight settings in any of the workshop manuals. You will need to record the hight of you suspension before you pull it apart and set it back the way it was. I made a dummy strut for this purpose. If I can fine where I put it, I'll take a photo.