306 Rear Camber

AlexS

Tadpole
Tadpole
I need a bit of feedback regarding the rear axle. Is the appearance of positive camber due to still using the rubber rear axle mounts or is it solely due to insufficient rear camber to start with? The rear wheel bearings and axles bearings have already been done prior to these pics. What's the current favored way to increase the rear camber on the rear axle?

Attachments

• IMG_2476.jpg
    IMG_2476.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 38
  • MR528279.jpg
    MR528279.jpg
    646.6 KB · Views: 38
There are two ways I know of to fix this, whether 205 or 306, as they're basically identical in design.

The first 205 I owned had -1.5º of negative camber on the rear. This was achieved by the previous owner heating the arms up mid-way along with an oxy torch. This worked perfectly well and the arms still exist on my friend Parry's 205 which races regularly. So 20+ years old? Red 205 in the pics.

The 2nd, which is far more precise, is to bore out the axle hole at a different angle and replace with a new custom axle. The angle of the hole can be set to adjust both toe and camber. The standard axle is bottom in the pic. The middle axle is same length, but you can see the stepped area for the enlarged hole. I wanted more track width as well, to accommodate 8" wheels, so I made the longer top axles. I currently run -3º and +2mm of toe (white car). The +ve toe makes it turn in better but it can become unsettled under heavy braking. It takes a while to warm up the rear tyres with -3º. I might go back to -1.5º.

The standard 306 rear end geometry is very lame, having something like -5mm of toe. If you made it -1.5º camber and zero toe, you'd be more than happy. My current arms were done by a place called Bridgecraft in the UK. They're well set up and have done many arms. With current crazy shipping prices, I'm sure someone local could do the same. You're welcome to come and have a look while it's up in the air.

Attachments

• extended rear axles 2.jpg
    extended rear axles 2.jpg
    892.9 KB · Views: 30
  • -900x623-006944.jpg
    -900x623-006944.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 33
  • Car 121 May 2021 copy.jpg
    Car 121 May 2021 copy.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 205 Parry.jpg
    205 Parry.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 31
Have you replaced the standard rubber bushes that locate the rear end with solid ones ? If not that should the first modification.