306 overheating

immy s16

Fellow Frogger
Hi all

In the last few days i have noticed my car egtting up towards the 110 area in traffic and on highway it sits between 70 and 90, which is fine.

Whats worries me is in traffic 110 is pretty high hince high speed fans kick in at 112, and what really worries me is that i am currently not using a thermostat.

So I am thinking i have a blockage in the cooling system and this is restricting the cooloant flow.

Im I corrent in my assumptions or could it be something else

Thanks in advance

Cheers

My high thermo's cut in at about 95 I think. I'd get you radiator core cleaned. Made a huge difference to my car. Mind you, it was 50% blocked.

Thanks for that Brad can you advise me off who done the work for you and how much did they charge

Cheers

one thing i have learnt is that without a thermostat the water/coolant doesn't stay in the radiator as long as it would with the thermostat and hence doesn't cool as much
mind you this is in a system that is fine
so if the car is overheating and the thermostat is ok then look for a blockage
if the car is over heating check the thermostat
but don't think for a moment that by pulling out a thermostat that the car is going to run cooler as it won't
all it will do is let the water/coolant flow quicker around the system

How many Ks does your pug have on it?

One thing though EFI cars really like having a thermostat, i.e EFI Range Rovers and Discoverys can't get the fuel mixture and timing right when the thermo is not there, they burn around 5L per 100 more. The 306 thermos are cheap and quite easy to replace, they sit in the top rad hose I replaced them on my sisters 306s both withing 1000K of each other (both around the 80K mark) IIRC the part was like $30. Pop a (new) thermo in and see if your problems go away.

If they don't then look at a radiator re-core.

Good Luck
Tom

immy s16 said:
Hi all

In the last few days i have noticed my car egtting up towards the 110 area in traffic and on highway it sits between 70 and 90, which is fine.

Whats worries me is in traffic 110 is pretty high hince high speed fans kick in at 112, and what really worries me is that i am currently not using a thermostat.

So I am thinking i have a blockage in the cooling system and this is restricting the cooloant flow.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Just question, does the temp drop after you move off again in City driving. I understand that when you sit at a traffic light the temp will go up, but soon after you move off (provided there is enough airlflow thru the rad) the temp should drop a bit or show signs it is dropping.

CHeers
Billy

BW205 said:
Just question, does the temp drop after you move off again in City driving. I understand that when you sit at a traffic light the temp will go up, but soon after you move off (provided there is enough airlflow thru the rad) the temp should drop a bit or show signs it is dropping.

CHeers
Billy

Yeah it does drop after you start moving, but what im saying is that i never used to see the 110 mark usually jus pops above 90 and comes back down, had the same behaviour with or with out thermostat.

The only difference not having the thermostat in was on the highway where the is lot of airflow and teh car sits aorund teh 80 mark.

But il be heading into town later today and pick up a thermostat and hopefully put it in by the weekend, will keep you guys posted.

Cheers

has the S16 got 2 fans on the front ?
check to make sure both are going
i know in mine when one stops as they do if you don't keep a check on the crappy little 3mm LH thread screw in the centre and it falls out the fan won't go (well der)
when this happens the cars temp will rise a bit more than normal
always a good indication that i have forgotten to check the fans
the car has been doing it from the day i bought it and the dealer never had an answer as to why the screw falls out
and yes i have tried loctite
now i just keep a supply of screws just in case

immy s16 said:
Hi all

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Hello, Check the fans out as advised.. check both kick in at low speed when a/c is switched on with a low coolant temp...

IF all is not good, Replace fan control module behide the NS front dirt shield.

About $130 if i remember right..

Hope this helps..... see this fault a lot... :disappr: :disappr:

:cheers: :afplak: :pugplak:

Yeah the fans are commin on at around 90 then also at 112

But when they come on at 90 they dont seem to cool down the engine.

Sow what im goin to do is put a new thermostat in and see how she goes.

Cheers

Damn you, Immy. I thought I had sorted out all my cooling issues and as soon as someone posts something about the S16 overheating, mine goes and does it. ARGH!!! I suspect I have a blockage in the core as I've gotten a new radiator (which has also been flushed already 'cos the coolant looked like mud), water pump and a new genuine Peugeot radiator cap which I put on just recently (topped up coolant at the same time) thinking that would be the end of it. The reason I suspect a blockage is that even at 100km/h on the highway it still didn't go below 100. :eek: Anyone think it could be something else? Thermostat perhaps? Hmmm, come to think of it, the windows started fogging up so I put the air-con on cold to demist and all that came out was warm air... I'll check coolant levels in the morning. It's been stinking hot with high humidity and it's been raining alot.

Rich

Zen said:
Damn you, Immy. I thought I had sorted out all my cooling issues and as soon as someone posts something about the S16 overheating, mine goes and does it. ARGH!!! I suspect I have a blockage in the core as I've gotten a new radiator (which has also been flushed already 'cos the coolant looked like mud), water pump and a new genuine Peugeot radiator cap which I put on just recently (topped up coolant at the same time) thinking that would be the end of it. The reason I suspect a blockage is that even at 100km/h on the highway it still didn't go below 100. :eek: Anyone think it could be something else? Thermostat perhaps? Hmmm, come to think of it, the windows started fogging up so I put the air-con on cold to demist and all that came out was warm air... I'll check coolant levels in the morning. It's been stinking hot with high humidity and it's been raining alot.

Rich

"coolant like mud"! Hmm. Never allow this, ever. Ours is 9 years old, 118,000 km, temp sits close to 80 and hardly moves. I reckon coolant is one of THE critical items - use top quality fluid, change on spec and you rarely have trouble.

If it's been "like mud", you could easily have a sludged up block. Not good - there were 205s that corroded their blocks at the back, bottom. Very ugly. All to do with sludge and poor coolant management.

I'd take it seriously.

JohnW

Zen said:

Rich

LOL, sorry Zen well just incase that you are really following my steps, i should just warn you about the intermediate cut outs, im pretty sure i got some water spray some where where it wasnt wanted, car ideled and reved fine in neutral but soon as i went to take off it died.

JohnW said:
"coolant like mud"! Hmm. Never allow this, ever. Ours is 9 years old, 118,000 km, temp sits close to 80 and hardly moves. I reckon coolant is one of THE critical items - use top quality fluid, change on spec and you rarely have trouble.

If it's been "like mud", you could easily have a sludged up block. Not good - there were 205s that corroded their blocks at the back, bottom. Very ugly. All to do with sludge and poor coolant management.

I'd take it seriously.

JohnW

If you have sludgy coolant I would suggest purchasing a filter that sits in the top coolant hose line that has an inspection point and stainless steel filter there. If it is sludgy I would fit one and then go for a drive down the road 100 meters and clean it out then for 10 minutes, then stop and clean it out, then go for a half hour and do the same and then you could drive to work with it.

This will help the sludging of your block as it will stop your radiator clogging and over time you will be able to remove a fair bit of sludge.

Classic Car magazine has adds for these filters and they can be picked up locally for about AUD$40.

If you can't get hold of one of these cut about 100mm of the bottom of a stocking (the foot + 100mm) and poke that down into top of the radiator and leave a fair bit of it out around the hose to clamp so it doesn't disapper down the radiator and follow the same cleaning regeme.

Good luck

Tom