306 heater matrix

GRAHAM WALLIS

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
Has anyone changed the heater core on a 306 N3. How difficult? Would a late 405 one fit?

The reason I sold my GTi6. Big job. 8 hours ?? Some talk that potentially only an o-ring causes the failure.

Cheers

Justin

Has anyone changed the heater core on a 306 N3. How difficult? Would a late 405 one fit?
Dash out, 8 hours for sure. We had two failures - in fact the only thing that ever failed on our 306. Horrible job IMHO. In our case it was the matrix that failed, both in only two years, but the 'o' ring business does need careful assembly. I took one look at the job and paid to have it done by dealers who were all too experienced at it......

It's a big job, but doable even with just a Haynes manual. Keep everything labelled. I imagine the hardest part these days will be 25-30 year old plastic getting brittle.

Orings are not hard, rubber grease and position then on the shoulder correctly, did my convertible as this was the issue they sold it for, leaking coolant, locate carefully / correctly as per hoses from engine coming into firewall.