306, heater matrix and stop leak

Right, the plan is to use 6061 aluminium rod, 1 1.4inch diameter and turn this up to fit the bulkhead female fittings using orings. A thread on the end of these will take a plate retained with an12 nuts and use the spring steel retaining clip from original. 90 degree fittings with AN12 to hose barbs using 19mm original (cut off) or replacement hose.

Will use CAD to design and have a friend / acquaintance who has a CNC lathe and can turn these up, then just assemble.

Keep you posted. Meanwhile Mackey bypass hose ordered. Car does not run otherwise.

There might be a market for this.... Nice.

I must thank my parents for the education and Mr Whitlam for Uni, gratis. No trouble, I have one poor person who is in the same predicament as well. The issue with doing this is why I am not in retail and needs mus when the manufacturer dumps you into issues like this.

But for friends and acquaintances, its another matter. It might drive me to getting my own small cnc lathe just for things like this! It is one cool toy for an engineer.

Look forward to seeing the results Matthew!

With the heater bypass hose (if you drained the radiator like I did) refilling/bleeding I did the following:
Poured coolant into the end of the hose marked until full and fitted.
9b9f4dea2106503f07ab3bdc0bfb3055.jpg

Then did the same at the top radiator hose and then filled through the bleed plug on the radiator (air intake hose disconnected)
bbcdc0553494395e89da4d0979886e88.jpg

This meant I could bleed via the bleed screw on the thermostat housing.

Here’s a panorama shot of the car before refitting the dash:
76367f042bb77ea7357832da974131cf.jpg

And one of the underside of the dash:
6edf81701f2cb6a7def3ad62867c510d.jpg

The two power cables (red and brown connectors from memory - they’re clipped to the bottom of the heater box) need to be routed through the gap arrowed below:
eec221bce706744112540650dd5411e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This site is getting a tad frustrating. When I opened the link to post #43 all the photos flashed up and disappeared in a fraction of a second and then the links to the individual photos generated a fail notice and "notify the administrator".

However, Chris, is it back together? Hope so.

Cheers

This site is getting a tad frustrating. When I opened the link to post #43 all the photos flashed up and disappeared in a fraction of a second and then the links to the individual photos generated a fail notice and "notify the administrator".

However, Chris, is it back together? Hope so.

Cheers
I was about to post only that I'm seeing just links, but the first four images (?) are showing as attachments. The last one is showing as "IMG_3850.jpg". If I click on that link, I get to see the picture. The other four show the error you described.

I wonder if there was an error during uploading of the images, or an invalid file type was mistakenly uploaded, and that that's the cause of the problem. Can the OP see his images, or check to see what he uploaded?

There might be a market for this... Nice.
I definitely would have been interested - 12 or so months ago when my 306 cabriolet dash was apart because of a leaky heater matrix.

Andrew

Pipe work is out now and I have a supply of aircraft aluminium that wont corrode and is machinable.

Only issue alluded to and that I agree with is differential expansion under heat in respect of the two materials, more research required and if not a second hand part is the answer.

Hi Matthew,

I realise that this is off-topic, but here goes anyway!

I've been wondering for a while about something in your signature. I obviously don't know 306s as well as I should, but what's the difference between the 306 convertible and the gti6? (I'm talking about engine/drivetrain, before anyone comes up with smart comments. :clown: ) I was always under the impression that the two were much the same, if not exactly the same, under the bonnet.

I look forward to being educated.
Andrew

Hi All, I’ve sorted the images in the update post #43

I converted them all to jpeg - there’s an app for that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Matthew,

I realise that this is off-topic, but here goes anyway!

I've been wondering for a while about something in your signature. I obviously don't know 306s as well as I should, but what's the difference between the 306 convertible and the gti6? (I'm talking about engine/drivetrain, before anyone comes up with smart comments. :clown: ) I was always under the impression that the two were much the same, if not exactly the same, under the bonnet.

I look forward to being educated.
Andrew

So as to not take this too far off topic I have sent a PM explaining the main bits.

As far as Chris' efforts I applaud you, its not that easy isn't it, plenty of broken bits along the way? Nice work. Will ring for metal tomorrow and discuss with machinist mate.

I glassed mine and they are back in working, car tyre valve cover on the bleed nipple. Actully superglued it then glassed it as super glue is not good at 100 degrees, it melts.