306, heater matrix and stop leak

The heater hose is no longer available from Peugeot. The two hoses are 20mm internal diameter so I’m looking to get one of these:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/112842230350

and replace/splice the hose to suit the xu10j4r - any reason the plastic fitting to the heater matrix wouldn’t fit?

Or I’ll replace the heater matrix with a 12v ceramic heater element and do away with the whole problem...

Cheers,

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one of those 12v ceramic heaters for my Magna when a heater pipe snapped off the matrix, but it didn't put out much heat. And when it arrived, I realised that the photo on Ebay had been a bit of an optical illusion....the thing was much smaller than I had expected.

I think I will fabricate a set of pipes in stainless and be done with this and mate them to the exisiting hoses. Standby, I plan to glue my broken ones properly and try that first.

Hi Matthew,

I’ve ordered a hose (6464fz) with 20mm hoses with the aim of mating it up. Not convinced I can repair what I’ve got as the pipes aren’t budging from the heater matrix. I’ll need to cut the pipes off the matrix to minimise damage to the hose.

I might go to a radiator place and see if I can get a heater matrix with aluminium/copper pipes in the right alignment to allow hoses to be clamped to it.

I guess the matrix can be regarded as sacrificial at this stage..... :) I think getting a custom-made matrix with non-plastic pipes with conventional hose clamps makes a lot of sense. Just don't forget how that dash came out....

What amazes/annoys/frustrates me about this whole class of modern cars, starting with for example Nissan Pulsars and Holden Commodes of the 1980s to show it isn't about French cars, is that the heater matrix is set up to be extraordinarily difficult, i.e. expensive to fix. Given the labour cost in the inevitable replacement, you'd like to think they'd be bullet proof, like my 54 year-old R8 matrix. Alas no.....

The judicious use of AN20 90 degree barbed fittings will make this fairly easy, the hard part is mating to the matrix, needs some lather work, not that hard really.

I’ve got the matrix out and it has a manufacture date of 110500...

ce42a6e09ca19c34a2d23519c2567525.jpg

The leak was from the seals on the angled pipes that join the matrix end tank. The end tank looks fine. The aluminum is almost perfect. The seals were rock hard.

Not sure why they insist on having a second set of seals when a moulded end tank with the pipes on it would be better.

So all is well with the matrix? That's nice if unhelpful to you at this stage! You mean it leaks where the pipes go into the matrix end?

Reading this thread I'm crossing all available fingers and toes as I currently have a fully functioning, leak free 306 with full climate control (heat and more importantly A/C). Not sure I have time or patience for a dash removal.
Although I'm sure it's been done before, I reckon whoever did it left a few bolts undone...

So all is well with the matrix? That's nice if unhelpful to you at this stage! You mean it leaks where the pipes go into the matrix end?

The aluminium tubes and fins are immaculate and the end tank seal is good. It’s all come down to a couple of failed o-rings and plastic inside the car - which disintegrated when a bit of wriggling was done! I’ll add a pic which will show the seals I mean. It’s frustrating that if the end tank and pipes were one piece it would remove a source of leaks. Then the only seals would be engine bay side with the hoses.

I’m going to keep the car off the road for a bit longer to sort this out properly, I’m not happy with the replacement matrix I bought

I’ll look to get a valeo matrix and the hose fittings or use an electric matrix.

My daughter has just got her learners permit and the 306 will be her car to learn in and drive. So it needs to last a few more years. It’ll be hard to give up the 306!

It looks like a couple of cars use electric heaters - there’s the possibility that a Mercedes A/B series electric heater core will fit. I’m finding out the dimensions.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/273481657469

If I use the electric option, to mis-quote from Jaws: “I think you need a bigger alternator”[emoji16]

Cheers,

Chris

Makes good sense to me. You don't want to that THAT job twice!! They've grown a bit since we bought the CX then..... :)

Cheers

Get some viton o rings they will do the trick and last a lot longer. Quite easy just search for a supplier of o rings they will have them. Lucky girl!

Plus a good coolant!

Matt, now I’ve given myself more time to fix it viton orings are on the list.

John, yes the kids have grown quickly and time seems to be flying by! I got to drive a DS as a P plate driver so a Peugeot 306 is not too bad.

Some pics:

Old matrix:
3a8c71c04f55763262c028f8572680b8.jpg

New matrix with dodgy seals:
2696913b56fe367ea96d7207430e87ec.jpg

Hose for bypassing the matrix ($10 or so from Auto Pro (most useful bit off a Ford falcon):
5b577873f37e069038bf616c14d5bf2a.jpg

7aa9891c61c373c003a97ac193360465.jpg

Bypass hose temporarily in place:
10e81f23f5c72589c0041725567b452a.jpg

I’ll post some pics of the dash out for reference when it’s less than 45 in the garage :)

Fingers crossed the heater matrix in my 00 306 will hang in there for some time to come. And as some of you have already remarked, removal of other things to access such isn't limited to Pugs.
My B-series Ford Futura has a heater that won't work due to a plastic geared shaft that turns a paddle to channel warm air to the cab. The part is worth about $50 - but there's about $800 in labour to get the dash removed to get at the damn thing.
Also in this vein, apparently the cars that use the PRV "Douvrin" V6 (Volvo 260s, some Pugs & Renaults and also the DeLorean) require the removal of one exhaust manifold to remove/refit some spark plugs; and the removal/refitting of a headlamp on one side of a Citroen DS requires removal of the entire mudguard on whichever side, left IIRC.
How boring life would be if working on cars was straightforward...........

I need one of those hoses now, removed my box the check for leaks and broke the plastic pipes on engine side. I am growing to hate the cheap plastics they use, going to fabricate metal pipes to replace them, heater is required for Tassie trip 2020!

Supercheap should have one too I hope and hose like that!

Last edited:
Hi Matthew,
Let me know if super cheap have them!

DON’T order the one I did - it’s for LHD so needs a lot of modifying to fit.

Cheers,

Chris

Checked, no joy, Mackey hoses have three stores in Qld and none in the CBD of course, will ring them tomorrow!

Ordered the hose will keep you informed of a properly engineered solution!

Right, the plan is to use 6061 aluminium rod, 1 1.4inch diameter and turn this up to fit the bulkhead female fittings using orings. A thread on the end of these will take a plate retained with an12 nuts and use the spring steel retaining clip from original. 90 degree fittings with AN12 to hose barbs using 19mm original (cut off) or replacement hose.

Will use CAD to design and have a friend / acquaintance who has a CNC lathe and can turn these up, then just assemble.

Keep you posted. Meanwhile Mackey bypass hose ordered. Car does not run otherwise.